Does ayone gains the weight back whenever they stop counting?

Options
2»

Replies

• sal10851
    sal10851 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The key is to create a dietry plan and principles to follow for life. As a society we simply consume too much calories dense foods that it's easy to underestimate the science being invested in some of our favorite foods. Finding healthier options for my favorite foods has been an absolute game changer for me. No matter what I eat off my meal plans I know it's going to be nutritious, delicious, and satiating. That keeps me from craving the classics such as pizza, ice cream, and burgers. Instead of pizza I eat homemade flatbread pizza, popcorn instead of chips, protein ice cream for regular ice cream. Instead of a chocolate bar I eat a pound of strawberries which has less calories, more fiber, and other micronutrients. I've managed to lose 68 pounds and I don't even feel like I'm dieting. The more I stick to this diet the more it's becoming what I crave. I don't feel the need to "cheat" when the food I eat taste great!
  • bighoopattitude
    bighoopattitude Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    This happens to me, too which is why I’m back here.

I also find being too ‘nice’ to myself (an approach that’s constantly recommended) makes me complacent and lazy and fat so I’m back to my old mean and counting ways🤷🏼‍♀️
  • Fatexterminator1
    Fatexterminator1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For myself when I loose weight I never count but I eat whole foods instead and I have lost 110lbs doing that. When I started eating anything I put on 50lbs, so now I have gone back to whole foods and exercise
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    88olds wrote: »
    I’ve been maintaining a long time. Initially I made goal and kept tracking for 5 years. I eventually got to the point where I could maintain without it. But if I gain more than 2 or 3 lbs I start again. Just how it is.

Easy? It is. Consider the 3500 calories per lb rule of thumb. Just 100 extra calories per day will mean a 10 lb gain in a year. How easy is that? 1 glass of wine. A cookie or 2. A second helping of something. Not hard at all.

Everything I have ever read from successful maintainers has the same universal answer (within personal parameters). Watch your weight and if it trends up past your comfortable border take immediate action.

I do not see how it is a good idea to hang up the logging as soon as the goal weight is reached. Something else I have learned from others is that it can take months to dial in your maintenance calories.

I like the idea of logging for at least 5 years of maintenance and then choosing what to do after that period expires. I may log forever, I may not. I also like the idea of maintaining my spreadsheet and daily weighing for at least 2 years. Daily weighing I might also consider doing forever just because daily habits are the easiest to maintain. Time will tell. The spreadsheet will be overkill at some point. It is a great management tool while losing but either it will be trimmed down or cut out.
  • AlexandraFindsHerself1971
    Options
    Here's my take on it. I spent six months with a pen and paper tracking everything I ate, my "output", and noting weather, activities, TOM, and stress, trying to get my IBS under control and identify triggers. I don't have to do that now, because I know what my body doesn't like to eat and what to do when my gut slows down due to unavoidable stress. And it wasn't terrible or a horrible intrusion on my life. It just got to be a simple habit.

If I have to spend the rest of my life tracking my calories and thinking about what I eat, well, in return I get to be the size I want and wear the clothes I want to wear and be happy and healthy. I also have to follow routines and take pills twice a day for my mental health to be functional. It's just what I have to do to be the self I want to be.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I gain back 2-5 lb now in more of a water weight kind of thing. When I was newer to it I gained a bit more back.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    I think it is more not weighing weekly or daily ...not so much counting the calories. It is the weight creeping on and denial by not weighing in.