Silly calories question.

Options
Silly question that has been bugging me. When you have a per 100g calorie figure for something like an avocado or a peach (i.e. something with a stone or core that you don't eat) is that calorie count for 100g of the flesh? Or are you supposed to put the whole avocado, stone and all, on the scale?

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    It's only for the edible parts, so you should subtract the weight of the peel and stone.

This.

And it is not a silly question. This is a new skill and there is enough to learn to keep a person on a bit of a tilt initially. Sure NOW I know and NOW I wonder how I ever thought I was supposed to charge myself for parts I was not eating but THEN my head was kind of swimming. I was definitely eating below my calorie goal on days I had an abundance of food with inedible parts (especially bones) but luckily I kept going and it all came together.
  • sofrances
    sofrances Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your answers.

What about "potentially edible" parts? For example, I could eat the core of an apple if I spat out the pips.

I know this is probably a bit obsessive to worry about such corner cases...
  • wilson10102018
    wilson10102018 Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I have been doing a lot of subtraction. I weigh the avocado or whatnot, take it to the table and eat what I want and weigh what is left. Sometimes its just the peel and the stone, sometimes it is leftovers that go back in the fridge.