Lost weight but now confused with clothing sizes, please help

Hello! I was wondering if anyone could help me with clothing sizes please?
I used to weigh 16.4, around 230lbs I lost weight but paused because I got poorly, which left me in a wheelchair. I started again sometime during lockdown and now I'm down to 13.6 or 188lbs! I still have some ways to go and struggle with motivation. To help myself I've created a little chart which I can scribble off every pound I lose, every three pounds I get a small present to myself. The presents are something small like a second hand book or flowers but on big "goals" I've let myself have something I really want, or need.
My 13.7 goal was for some new clothes but I don't want to buy anything I can't really fit into, either way. I'm 5ft 2-3 or 158cms but because I'm in a chair I think it's better if things are a little looser.
Are there any similar ladies to my body weight and height who could let me know what size clothes they wear please?
I've tried to look before but I couldn't find many who were my short height! haha

Replies

• Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    If you go onto some websites they have a 'fitfinder' that will recommend a size. ASOS is one that springs to mind :)
  • Jacq_qui
    Jacq_qui Posts: 429 Member
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    I assume you're in the UK? I'm not sure what it's like over there but in the US, sizes are will nilly. You have to try stuff on until you are familiar with specific brands and how they fit you.

Sadly this is true here. I ordered jeans in two sizes and two colours (I'm indecisive and there was a huge sale on!). In one colour I was a sz 10, in the other colour I couldn't even get on a sz 12. Same brand, same style. Makes no sense to me.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,932 Member
    Yeah, if you're ordering online order two sizes and make sure the store has a free return policy. They should pay for the return shipping.

I agree that you really have to try stuff on anymore, other than a few brands I've found who's sizing remains consistent.
  • mrsfudge2
    mrsfudge2 Posts: 5 Member
    Thankyou for your help, yes from the Uk. I'll just have to see what fits and return the things that don't fit well then. It's a bit of a pain there's not more regulated sizes.
  • briscogun
    briscogun Posts: 1,135 Member
    It's really hit and miss with clothing sizes. I lost about 45 lbs earlier this year, and in just shirt sizes, for example, sometimes I'm a medium and sometimes I'm a large. Some manufacturers do a good job of saying that their shirts run large, or they run small so order a size up. A lot of times I will read the reviews online and see what people say about fit: are they running small, large, etc. A lot of places have a size chart available to reference too so I will use that alot, but that's only good if you know your size/measurements.

But all in all its good problem to have, right? Just a side note: if you are still planning on losing more don't get TOO much stuff. You'll just have to re-purchase all new stuff again later...
  • mrsfudge2
    Thanks for your advice! I suppose if it's too big it'll just be comfy or if it's too small it'll be a goal to get into haha!
  • ximenavictoriaxo
    ximenavictoriaxo Posts: 113 Member
    Women sizes in general makes no sense 😭 I’d take measurements and then go online shopping from there, a lot of retailers will have size charts too.
  • FutureFit2020
    FutureFit2020 Posts: 128 Member
    I'm reasonably confident they just make up women's clothing sizes as they go to tbh. Well done on your weight loss though! If you're not shopping in the petite's though I'd suggest that. When I worked in clothes shops in the past I was surprised to learn that some people didn't realise that "petite" spanned all sizes.
  • FutureFit2020
    edited October 2020
    Ooh this looks good. https://sizes.darkgreener.com/ Takes a minute to load. It tells you what UK shops would fit you best and what size you would be
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Wear that, suiting your body and style. 🧐
  • mrsfudge2
    Thank you everyone, and thanks for that link! I didn't realise petits went all sizes either but now I think about it it makes sort of sense!
  • FutureFit2020
    Yep! It's just about sizing the length of clothes down for women who are under 5ft 5 so they don't get swamped.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yeah, without knowing your measurements and body shape, its really kind of impossible to know what size will fit you just based on your weight. Everyone carries their weight differently so if you want to get a best fit, you'll need to get your waist, hip, and busy measurements and compare those with size charts. It doesn't help our cause as women that sizes vary by brand either...that's why the measurements are key.
  • Rhumax67
    Rhumax67 Posts: 162 Member
    BTW, I really like the idea of giving yourself little rewards along the way!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Vanity sizing is a thing. The more expensive they are the smaller the sizes. It's all relative but in this case the numbers really do lie. You have to try everything on and leave nothing to chance.