Effective exercise without the DOMS and potential cold... πŸ€¦β€β™€οΈ

Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with exercise lately. Not just because I've been inactive due to lockdown... I've noticed it the past year or so. I eat fairly well, have been into fitness for a LOOONG time and had been completing Beachbody programmes no problem.
Lately, I find that I start a new programme eager to get going, only to get bad DOMS the next day to the point I can just about walk. Sometimes, I even come down with a cold. I stretch, get my protein etc etc, just not sure why this is only starting to happen now. I worry, because I want to see results but the after-effects of a workout are really starting to put me off.
Anyone suffer the same, and have found an effective but gentle programme? I know this probably all sounds so vague (trying to get it all into words while four kids run riot πŸ˜£πŸ˜‚). I'm just so fed up suffering with discomfort after exercise, when it used to make me feel really good.
I'll be 40 at the end of the year. A few years back I felt so healthy, and feel it's starting to slip away...

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    To Mr. heybales excellent advice, I'd add: Has your doctor run blood tests anytime remotely recently, i.e., since you've been experiencing this effect? Some nutritional/physically-caused things can include something like this among the symptoms. If no recent tests, I'd suggest asking for blood tests covering iron, vitamin D, thyroid, and more.

Also, since you don't mention them explicitly, how are your hydration and sleep? Have the recent BB programs shifted more toward daily muscular challenge, vs. perhaps formerly being somewhat more cardiovascular exercise type things?
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with exercise lately. Not just because I've been inactive due to lockdown... I've noticed it the past year or so. I eat fairly well, have been into fitness for a LOOONG time and had been completing Beachbody programmes no problem.
    Lately, I find that I start a new programme eager to get going, only to get bad DOMS the next day to the point I can just about walk. Sometimes, I even come down with a cold. I stretch, get my protein etc etc, just not sure why this is only starting to happen now. I worry, because I want to see results but the after-effects of a workout are really starting to put me off.
    Anyone suffer the same, and have found an effective but gentle programme? I know this probably all sounds so vague (trying to get it all into words while four kids run riot πŸ˜£πŸ˜‚). I'm just so fed up suffering with discomfort after exercise, when it used to make me feel really good.
    I'll be 40 at the end of the year. A few years back I felt so healthy, and feel it's starting to slip away...

This used to happen to me when I was undereating. Maybe your deficit is too aggressive. And maybe you need even more protein. Try magnesium spray as well. It also helped me with sore muscles.
  • MT1134
    MT1134 Posts: 173 Member
    If you're getting sick (a cold) after exercise then you're definitely overdoing it. Intense exercise (although relative to your fitness level) is known to suppress the immune system. This is manageable though. I would start by backing off on the intensity.

What exactly are your goals here?

Light aerobic exercise can be very beneficial for recovery. If you find that you're too sore to do anything, try a light walk for 10 to 30 minutes followed by some stretching. That should help with your soreness.

Hydration and protein play a big role in recovery as well so make you're staying up on those.

As you're just getting back into things, I would say less is more. The body is very sensitive to external stimulus as new comers or as we're returning.

If you can help it, try to back off on crushing yourself with that motivated feeling of no pain no gain and try to focus more on just providing a small stimulus that's enough to get you moving but focus more on getting quality sleep and nutrition. If you feel like you're not getting enough exercise or just want to increase things, I would recommend aerobic exercise-walking/running but again, don't overdo it.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    If you’re getting DOMS that severely and colds, just dial it back a bit. You can still stay fit and make progress. Your body is human, not a machine πŸ€—
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,482 Member
    DOMS means you're working muscles that you either didn't work hard before or the intensity you're using overloaded the muscles. DOMS are caused by microtears in muscle fiber. It's part of making the muscle stronger and /or bigger.
    And as mentioned, inadequate nutrition and rest is also another factor.
    Too many people tend to go overboard due to their enthusiasm for new programs or trying to get fit too fast. And as we age, it doesn't get easier. Take it from a guy who's 56 and still has to dial it back little by little each year.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    I find it even worse when the muscles are willing, but the tendons/ligaments are weak.

Then I get twanging banjo strings. For achilles where it would be possible, at least I've never had dueling banjos.
  • watts6151
    watts6151 Posts: 887 Member
    Even as an advanced trainer I still ease into a new workout, different exercises will target different parts of the muscles and mild doms are expected, jumping head long into a new routine is plain asking bad doms.

Do you get blood work done privately or though your GP ? I usually advice A full work up at least 2 yearly
  • sandieeverard1
    sandieeverard1 Posts: 1 Member
    Hello to Everyone. I am new to this blog as of today. I have read and relate to some of the posts here and look forward to sharing and gaining information from you. I may sound "green" but I do not know how I respond to an individual post though, like ninerbuff. Help please?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,935 Member
    edited October 2020
    Hello to Everyone. I am new to this blog as of today. I have read and relate to some of the posts here and look forward to sharing and gaining information from you. I may sound "green" but I do not know how I respond to an individual post though, like ninerbuff. Help please?

Go to the post you want to respond to, and click on "quote" below it. That will copy the post and some tags (things inside brackets) that make it look like a separate piece, into the reply box area. Type below the final bracket, or above the first one (not inside the brackets anywhere) to reply.

It's possible to break up the quoted post and respond to individual parts of it, by putting in your own tags in brackets, but I'd suggest saving that level of complexity for later.