Morningstar Farms...processed?

Options
Hi!!! I have been doing a pretty good job of avoiding processed foods, per Doctor's orders. But.....lately I discovered Morninstar Farms and really enjoy it. Is it considered processed? Tryingn to follow a low carb and high protein regime... Is it healthy to consume each day? Would like your input; many thanks:)

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    yes it is processed and yes it is OK to consume..

why are you on low carb...medical reasons?
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    i love morning star I believe its ok just make sure the sodium is fine for you
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Of course they are processed! They are premade and packaged for you = processed and filled with preservatives. Something as close to it's natural state is not processed, or very little. Any packaged burger, bacon, noodle, cereal, soup, meal, etc etc is very processed.

Processed food is fine to consume.. just not everyday all day. If your doctor has said to limit processed foods those products would be included along with anything in the frozen section, canned section, etc.

I would ditch the low carb routine (unless its for medical reasons as low carb isn't better for weight loss than a calorie deficit) and just stick to eating well.
  • PaulHalicki
    PaulHalicki Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    They are making vegetables look and taste like meat; of course it's processed. You can't even tell what it's made of by looking at it. That said, yeah, eat it. Compared to a lot of other foods, it's not that bad (since it's vegan).
  • srgtbiggles
    srgtbiggles Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Anything with an ingredient list is processed.....
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    You could cook bean, veggie or tofu burgers that YOU make and it would not be considered "processed". There are a lot of good vegetarian recipes out there. You can even adjust your salt with them.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I can't believe this is a real question.
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Of course it's processed. Does that mean you're going to keel over if you eat it? No.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    Kind of a vague recommendation from a dr. I would ask them specifically what the goal is. If it's "eat less processed foods because the inherent sodium" then take that into consideration... since morningstar stuff is full of salt.
  • Brige2269
    Brige2269 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Very processed. Have them once in a while, you can make you own. Look on line for great recipes. You can find them made out beans, lentils, or quinoa. Don't worry, most sites have step by step instructions. You will be much better off.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    LOL, yeah, soy meat alternatives are pretty well processed.

But if they help you meet your nutritional goals and you like them, who cares? I guarantee you won't find any high-protein vegetarian meat substitutes that aren't processed. To do low-carb, unprocessed vegetarian your only real option is eggs.
  • nancyrunner06
    Options
    So glad you asked.. I have been wondering the same thing!! WAY to go with all that weight loss! Can I ask how tall are you?? I have been on this program (myfitnesspal) and have only lost 1 or 2 lbs in a mos. NOT sure what I am doing wrong.. staying under my calories and exercise a lot??
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Your doctor specifically said "no processed foods"?
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Is McDonald's processed? Seriously... Veggies turned into burgers, patties, "ground beef"... How is this even a ruttin question?
  • zcheeze
    zcheeze Posts: 25
    Options
    It's very processed but I love them anyway!
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Google "planet burgers". They are very good and easy to make. Watch the sodium in those Morningstar products!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Very processed. Have them once in a while, you can make you own. Look on line for great recipes. You can find them made out beans, lentils, or quinoa. Don't worry, most sites have step by step instructions. You will be much better off.

Beans, lentils and quinoa all have too many carbs for a low-carb diet.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    Processed and yummy!

They are a great source of protein and really convenient, I'm not seeing the bad :flowerforyou:
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I like them, too. And there is a place for them in a diet.

I personally got tired of buying them. Started experimenting and made super easy, cheap lentil and brown rice tomato basil burgers and "meatballs" once, garlic curry burgers another time. The last batch I made, I got I think 52 servings out of it, 100 calories each, and about $4 or so for the whole thing.

There are lots of black bean burger recipes and the like online, too. Num!
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    They are making vegetables look and taste like meat; of course it's processed. You can't even tell what it's made of by looking at it. That said, yeah, eat it. Compared to a lot of other foods, it's not that bad (since it's vegan).

say what??? Is being vegan the only criteria for a "good" food now? If that's the case I eat very very bad, I must not be losing any weight. Oh wait....