i’m so ashamed - using food as a coping mechanism

Options
2»

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    First, you say it’s the only meal you eat per day. Are you intentionally fasting the rest of the day or punishing yourself for the guilt you feel over eating the take out?

Second, you say you are “still fat” at 145. How tall are you? What is your goal weight? I’m 5’6” and while I would want to lose a few more lbs if I were 145, I would definitely not classify myself as fat at that weight.

So, I’m wondering if maybe you need to talk to a professional. If you perceive yourself as fat if you are in fact not fat AND you are only eating a single meal a day to punish yourself because of how you feel about said meal choice, some help might be needed. Also, I think therapy might be in order from some of the previous posts you have made on MFP. It’s ok to need help, but you need to make the choice to get the help.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    First, you say it’s the only meal you eat per day. Are you intentionally fasting the rest of the day or punishing yourself for the guilt you feel over eating the take out?

Second, you say you are “still fat” at 145. How tall are you? What is your goal weight? I’m 5’6” and while I would want to lose a few more lbs if I were 145, I would definitely not classify myself as fat at that weight.

So, I’m wondering if maybe you need to talk to a professional. If you perceive yourself as fat if you are in fact not fat AND you are only eating a single meal a day to punish yourself because of how you feel about said meal choice, some help might be needed. Also, I think therapy might be in order from some of the previous posts you have made on MFP. It’s ok to need help, but you need to make the choice to get the help.

Here she says she is a size 10 UK (8 US) jeans and 5'5" or 5'6" and includes pictures (definitely not "fat"):

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10813596/i-look-fatter-but-i-weigh-less-these-photos-are-20-days-apart
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    muszyngr wrote: »
    hi that sucks, can I suggest you drink water when ever you feel hungry and maybe order light soups if you can, like war wonton or, egg soup, or hot and sour, I know you're just renting and hewk that's better than internalizing it, find a new show on Netflix and binge watch it, and do 10 jumping jacks in between the episodes, lol make a game out of it, like a drinking game, every time they argue you do sit ups, or something, you come up with it

Binge watching IMO and is not a good recommendation. Sample comments

Yoon Hi Sung, Eun Yeon Kang and Wei-Na Lee from the University of Texas at Austin will present their findings at the 65th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The researchers conducted a survey on 316 18- to 29-year-olds on how often they watched TV; how often they had feelings of loneliness, depression and self-regulation deficiency; and finally on how often they binge-watched TV. They found that the more lonely and depressed the study participants were, the more likely they were to binge-watch TV, using this activity to move away from negative feelings.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7344932/

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2015-01/ica-fol012615.php
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,984 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    hi that sucks, can I suggest you drink water when ever you feel hungry and maybe order light soups if you can, like war wonton or, egg soup, or hot and sour, I know you're just renting and hewk that's better than internalizing it, find a new show on Netflix and binge watch it, and do 10 jumping jacks in between the episodes, lol make a game out of it, like a drinking game, every time they argue you do sit ups, or something, you come up with it

Yoon Hi Sung, Eun Yeon Kang and Wei-Na Lee from the University of Texas at Austin will present their findings at the 65th Annual Conference of the International Communication Association in San Juan, Puerto Rico. The researchers conducted a survey on 316 18- to 29-year-olds on how often they watched TV; how often they had feelings of loneliness, depression and self-regulation deficiency; and finally on how often they binge-watched TV. They found that the more lonely and depressed the study participants were, the more likely they were to binge-watch TV, using this activity to move away from negative feelings.

Not only is correlation not causation, but the researchers here, for reasons undisclosed in this snippet, appear to believe that any causation is running the other way, and that binging is solace or even a temporary cure for negative feelings.
  • Theoldguy1
    edited October 2020
    Options

Not only is correlation not causation, but the researchers here, for reasons undisclosed in this snippet, appear to believe that any causation is running the other way, and that binging is solace or even a temporary cure for negative feelings.

Well feel free to present evidence that binge watching TV is good for one in any way shape or form.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Well feel free to present evidence that binge watching TV is good for one in any way shape or form.

Hey, I'm just pointing out the conclusions of the study you chose. If you don't like it, pick a different study.
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Hey, I'm just pointing out the conclusions of the study you chose. If you don't like it, pick a different study.

So you have nothing. I'm good with their thoughts.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,605 Member
    Options

Not a study but it's pretty damned good for satisfying one's curiosity when a show keeps ending on cliffhangers. :)
  • Theoldguy1
    Options

Just Google mental and/or physical issues from excessive TV, i.e. binge watching. You will find plenty of reading material.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Probably not worth trying this again -- but I was pointing out "their thoughts" from the study you offered as evidence. Your evidence does not appear to support the conclusions you are drawing from it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,922 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »

Not a study but it's pretty damned good for satisfying one's curiosity when a show keeps ending on cliffhangers. :)

If there is a major cliffhanger, I watch the first 10 or 15 minutes of the next episode. If all the episodes end with cliffhangers, I plan to watch to the Mid Point Plot Point of the next episode.

My OH doesn't like this, but puts up with it.
  • cbrownrugby3
    cbrownrugby3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I’ve always used food as a crutch. It was able to fill the void of anything else lacking in my life. A nice takeout meal and a tv show is my absolute happy place. But, at a certain point I realized it was making me weaker, allowing myself to give in to any and all feelings of discontent. It’s a difficult battle to fight, but if you can tackle it head on, the benefits are worth much more than that dopamine release. Not to mention it’s probably hurting our physiques and fitness goals. This learned discipline to applicable to all areas of our life, so if we can fix this, we can fix anything.

I know we are all capable of much more. Our greatness is waiting to be tapped into and the best version of ourselves awaits. Stay strong and let’s kill these goals 😈😈
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options

I agree with you @Theoldguy1. I think the last year of people sitting on their @$$es and binge watching t.v. has reeked havoc on many people's mental health. I have seen up close what extreme isolation does to the human mind.....
  • Theoldguy1
    edited October 2020
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I agree with you @Theoldguy1. I think the last year of people sitting on their @$$es and binge watching t.v. has reeked havoc on many people's mental health. I have seen up close what extreme isolation does to the human mind.....

Yep, my BIL was able to get his mom out of an assisted living facility for a little birthday get together for my MIL's 91st birthday. Our small group would be hanging out and just out of the blue she would start crying. We'd ask what was wrong and she said nothing, it's just so nice to be around people, especially of of you.

I'm sure this is being replayed thousands of times over with people from 5 to 100.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    And this, too, will pass.