Very underweight - RED-S?

Hi All,

New user on these boards and only recently started logging food/exercise on MFP due to ongoing weight loss (I'm now BMI around 15).

Was wondering if any folks out there had experienced a disorder called RED-S? I've never thought of myself as having an ED (I like food, don't binge, plenty of fruit/veg etc.) but a couple of symptoms rang alarm bells. e.g. I know I should put on a decent amount of weight but secretly I'm pleased when I drop a pound. I'm not a good athlete by any stretch but used to be very into cycling / looking at gains on Strava and for climbing hills less body weight was a quick win so was always pleased to lose some then. Last couple of years have been doing jogging instead which should burn all that many calories but still losing weight.

Would be interested to know of similar stories or how people got their weight back up in a healthy way. I have spoken to GP recently and am waiting to get blood test done maybe followed by referral to dietician so will see what happens there too.

Thanks!
Tom

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    edited October 2020
    Hi All,

New user on these boards and only recently started logging food/exercise on MFP due to ongoing weight loss (I'm now BMI around 15).

Was wondering if any folks out there had experienced a disorder called RED-S? I've never thought of myself as having an ED (I like food, don't binge, plenty of fruit/veg etc.) but a couple of symptoms rang alarm bells. e.g. I know I should put on a decent amount of weight but secretly I'm pleased when I drop a pound. I'm not a good athlete by any stretch but used to be very into cycling / looking at gains on Strava and for climbing hills less body weight was a quick win so was always pleased to lose some then. Last couple of years have been doing jogging instead which should burn all that many calories but still losing weight.

Would be interested to know of similar stories or how people got their weight back up in a healthy way. I have spoken to GP recently and am waiting to get blood test done maybe followed by referral to dietician so will see what happens there too.

Thanks!
    Tom

yes I have. RED-S does happen in men, it is just not as talked about as much. Symptoms are secondary and tertiary hypogonadism. Basically the hypothalamus or pituitary glands downregulate testosterone production dt low energy reserves. Changing in LH by a similar mechanism. Hypothyroidism. Hypoglycemia. Feeling week, body hair getting brittle and falling out, higher susceptibility to disease, brittle nails or lack of nail growth. I suggest you talk to your MD and an RD\ED therapist. Best wishes brother....
  • tomobrien4702
    tomobrien4702 Posts: 2 Member
    psychod787 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Thanks!
    Tom

yes I have. RED-S does happen in men, it is just not as talked about as much. Symptoms are secondary and tertiary hypogonadism. Basically the hypothalamus or pituitary glands downregulate testosterone production dt low energy reserves. Changing in LH by a similar mechanism. Hypothyroidism. Hypoglycemia. Feeling week, body hair getting brittle and falling out, higher susceptibility to disease, brittle nails or lack of nail growth. I suggest you talk to your MD and an RD\ED therapist. Best wishes brother....

Thanks for reaching out - really appreciate it. Yes, I do have a couple of those symptoms unfortunately.

You don't have to answer this and I don't mean to pry but have you fully recovered (if there is ever such a thing) and how long did it take you?