Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Carboholicism

gisem17
gisem17 Posts: 50 Member
Is food addiction real? And is it fair to compare my perceived addiction to carbs to somebody's actual addiction to alcohol, narcotics or other serious drugs?

Replies

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Drug and/or drunk driving is a killer.

There are many cross-addictions like smoking, gambling and shifting over to food would fall in there. You can research it but some WLS patients make the shift to alcohol.

Food addiction is complex just like all of the other addictions. You can be an alcoholic and have a food addiction at the same time. The mileage will always vary.

The run of the mill food addiction via self-diagnosis is based on the All or Nothing approach to food. These things are learned in childhood by observation, environment, family/peer behaviors. You adopt these behaviors as your own ...believing that you can't ever change that narrative for the rest of your life.

The all or nothing approach to food results in constant stops and starts with massive rationalization and excuses.
    There's thrill eating, living for another hit of dopamine to the brain while entertaining ourselves with food rewards.
    Immediate gratification is learned behavior. Our brains are hard-wired with deep grooves and it's easy to become and stay a looper forever. Starting over and over and over again.

Don't overthink it. Don't overcomplicate it.

We can learn to moderate ourselves with food. You need skills, tools and strategy. It's not about motivation or willpower. Those are limited resources and it's not possible to keep yourself or others propped UP. It's exhausting.

New cognitive behaviors, tools and skillsets will take you much further down the road than gutting it out with willpower. Telling ourselves that we're an all or nothing person is a self-perpetuating diagnosis that will keep you in a self-induced food prison for the rest of your life.

Get off that merry-go-round with food. There's only choices and consequences. You have to choose every single day that you will not fall back into that behavior with focus and consistency.

• Mellouk89
    Mellouk89 Posts: 469 Member
    edited October 2020
    There may be an “addiction” to foods that have a combination of sugar, fat and salt. But you rarely eat only carbs. So I don't know if it's a carb addiction or just foods that are calorically dense.
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    Carbohydrates (and sugars in particular) are converted into blood glucose almost immediately (as opposed to fats). That gives an instant gratification, which is the common pattern of all addictions.

That is not to say that only carbs can cause addiction. There are many other factors involved. I am addicted to coffee (even decaf coffee) and I haven't managed a way to get rid of it.
  • mariomicro wrote: »
    Carbohydrates (and sugars in particular) are converted into blood glucose almost immediately (as opposed to fats). That gives an instant gratification, which is the common pattern of all addictions.

That is not to say that only carbs can cause addiction. There are many other factors involved. I am addicted to coffee (even decaf coffee) and I haven't managed a way to get rid of it.

Why did you get free disagrees for this post?
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    edited October 2020
    Why did you get free disagrees for this post?

Probably from closeted carb addicts.
  • Daisy_Girl2019
    Daisy_Girl2019 Posts: 209 Member
    Rice is life... that's all I can say. 🤣
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited October 2020
    LB30 wrote: »
    I think we, as a society, use the term "addiction" as a catch-all for all sorts of behaviors, primarily those that involve an over-indulgence of something. I think the term that applies more appropriately here is "dependence". The two are not interchangeable. While addiction doesn't exist without dependence, dependence frequently exists without addiction, assuming we are using proper definitions.

Addiction comes with withdrawal- very real and adverse physical reactions. There is a reason why someone who is severely addicted to alcohol requires medical supervision to stop. Or why those addicted to opioids experience a period of violent illness. That is above an beyond dependency alone. I haven't touched alcohol in over 5 months. I most certainly was becoming very dependent upon it. I used it to relax, to help me sleep, calm the nerves, etc. But, when I decided this might be an issue and stopped, I did not suffer any sort of withdrawal. I was not yet addicted. My head was emotionally "depending" on alcohol, but I wasn't an addict. A binge drinker, most certainly yes. Addict, no. I didn't have those adverse physical reactions. I think the same is true with food. There can be an emotional attachment to it for sure, but its not the same as true addiction.

I agree with your first sentence (we also just use it casually -- I'm addicted to shoes!). But actually, I think you have addiction and dependence backwards. Dependence comes with withdrawal, but may not be addiction (some common anti depressants, for example, or in some cases coffee--someone might be in the habit of drinking coffee and then quit and get headaches, but not use coffee for any kind of emotional need or drink it despite serious harmful results).

Addictions may not involve physical withdrawal (one can have an addiction to alcohol without any kind of severe withdrawal, although alcohol withdrawal can kill you). Even with drugs (like heroin, perhaps) that will generally always involve withdrawal, getting past the dependence doesn't resolve the issue, and the addiction will lead to the tendency to relapse that many have, etc. And I do believe that things like gambling addiction are real, too.

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/principles-drug-addiction-treatment-research-based-guide-third-edition/frequently-asked-questions/there-difference-between-physical-dependence-addiction

Addiction—or compulsive drug use despite harmful consequences—is characterized by an inability to stop using a drug; failure to meet work, social, or family obligations; and, sometimes (depending on the drug), tolerance and withdrawal. The latter reflect physical dependence in which the body adapts to the drug, requiring more of it to achieve a certain effect (tolerance) and eliciting drug-specific physical or mental symptoms if drug use is abruptly ceased (withdrawal). Physical dependence can happen with the chronic use of many drugs—including many prescription drugs, even if taken as instructed. Thus, physical dependence in and of itself does not constitute addiction, but it often accompanies addiction. This distinction can be difficult to discern, particularly with prescribed pain medications, for which the need for increasing dosages can represent tolerance or a worsening underlying problem, as opposed to the beginning of abuse or addiction.