Liift4 and C25k on rest days?

Options
Hello,

I've stared Liift4 for the first time this week along with my husband. In terms of working out, we've only really ever done about 3-4 rounds of 21 Day Fix over the spring/summer. I also am training for my first 5K in late November. My question is would it be ok for me to do my 5K training on my 'rest days' from Liift4? I know they say you can do some light exercise on your rest days, but I'm not sure if running 3-5 km would fit that description? (especially since i'm out of shape so running isn't easy per se for me). I'd like to give it a shot anyhow and see how I feel, but I wanted to know what symptoms I should watch out for as indicator if I'm overdoing it? Is it likely to cause any problems if I'm just doing this for a month? Would I be better to do my run on my Liift4 days and then really take the rest days off?
My stats: 40F, 5'8', 195 lbs

Thanks for any insight/help you can offer!

Replies

• Squatcleananddeadlift
    Options
    Well with c25k it starts you off relatively lightly. So you probably wouldn't be covering the 3 to 5k until nearer the end. By then your stamina would improve/general fitness etc.

Why don't you try and see how you feel?
    I have always managed some running alongside lifting so you might be ok.
  • Squatcleananddeadlift
    Options
    I just had a look at liift4. Is it 4x per week arms, legs, core and something else? You could always do the c25k the day after core and arms. And rest days after legs?
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    Well with c25k it starts you off relatively lightly. So you probably wouldn't be covering the 3 to 5k until nearer the end. By then your stamina would improve/general fitness etc.

Why don't you try and see how you feel?
    I have always managed some running alongside lifting so you might be ok.

Thanks for the reply! Ok I will give it a shot.

I'm early on in the program (week 3) and am covering 3K so far in the walk/runs.

Other than feeling tired (which is expected), are there any dangers to overtraining?
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I just had a look at liift4. Is it 4x per week arms, legs, core and something else? You could always do the c25k the day after core and arms. And rest days after legs?

So the schedule has core and cardio in every workout. The schedule is
    Chest/Triceps
    Back/Biceps
    Rest day
    Shoulders
    Legs
    Rest Day
    Rest Day

So maybe I just do my 3 runs somewhere between the first 4 days and keep the two rest days after leg day?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You do both on same day or separate.

Your adaptations and recovery will dictate the progress.

Pay attention to your external and internals load and adjust volume, intensity, or frequency as needed.