Does spiralina upset anyone else’s tummy?

Options
So I got some spiralina the other week with my shopping and I’ve been adding it to Post- gym smoothies But it seems to upset the hell out of my tummy. Why?! It’s got such great nutrients

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    How much are you eating? It is possible to be sensitive to things... I have a friend who can't eat cucumber without getting super gassy and having to go to the bathroom a lot.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    I saw a post recently where someone commented that spirulina caused them issues...can't remember who it was, but either way, if it bothers you that much, probably better just to leave it out. There are plenty of other ways to get good nutrients.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    How much are you eating? It is possible to be sensitive to things... I have a friend who can't eat cucumber without getting super gassy and having to go to the bathroom a lot.

Cucumber SKIN always upsets my stomach, but it's fine when I peel it. The human body is such a trip!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    I've read it can change your pH, which can cause stomach issues. The other possible issue is you have contaminated Spirulina. There are a lot of Chinese companies growing it in less than perfect environmental conditions. I worked as a consultant in the algae industry space for a few years.

Sourcing is critical in that industry. Hawaii grows some of the best algae products with the most reputable companies. There's another one in the Southern Ca desert as well that's great. Earthrise (I worked with them for a while -- they pioneered Spirulina growth).