Colonic anyone??

Options
I have a friend of mine who swears by her water colonics like every 6 months or so.... she says its great for losing 5-10 lbs of weight from waste build up just sitting in there....

Anyone have any ideas/thoughts/recommendations?? I've done some research... and there's lots of good and bad reviews on it.. as well as tons of products and such.... so figured Id ask in here to get input from all of you.. my fitness peers......:laugh: :happy: :tongue: :wink:

*** No Im not full of ****...Im pretty regular ty....
*** Im just curious as to if there is really something to this
*** If it really helped with that ab bloat yes Id consider it....

*** Just trying to cover any smart *kitten* comments that might get asked.. LOL :flowerforyou: :tongue:

Replies

• chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    What happens when you eat again?
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    As soon as you eat again your colon will start to fill up again plus it can be dangerous. You don't need it, eat fibre and drink water.
  • dsylikm
    dsylikm Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I used to do colonics pretty regularly.i stopped for a while due to the cost but if you go to a reputable place I highly recommend them. I felt a lot better after having them done. I'm big on disease prevention (I'm an RN) and therefore go by the principle that if your gut is healthy then it is easier to avoid illness. This is why it is so important to eat healthy and balanced but most of us don't do that. If your diet isn't healthy then colonics can be especially helpful. If I can afford it again I will resume but right now I'm doing well with all the veggies I eat and taking probiotics daily.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I have a friend of mine who swears by her water colonics like every 6 months or so.... she says its great for losing 5-10 lbs of weight from waste build up just sitting in there....

Let's be honest here. Is your friend someone that's losing the same 5 lbs all the time or is this someone who you admire and look up to as a model of fitness?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    There's no buildup to remove. The only thing that gets removed is the food being processed through your digestive system and the gut bacteria that keeps your system functioning properly. It's a huge waste of time, money, and gut bacteria that you have to recolonize anew.

This is what a colon looks like after a colon prep (not a colonic)
    NormalColon.jpg

Where's the buildup?
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I don't need a colonic, I can just eat one of the foods that hate me and it'll have the same effect. I don't really enjoy it though and have found that if I don't eat the things that hate me I'm magically not bloated anyway.

Joking aside, I just don't think it's necessary to put your body through something like that on a regular basis. If you have to be cleaned out for a medical procedure that's one thing, but to do that for kicks and giggles? Uh, no thank you. And like others have said, as soon as you eat you've undone everything anyway.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    They can actually be pretty bad to do regularly. Messing with your gut microbiota is bad thing.

A lot of companies that sell 'detoxes' and 'colon cleanses' actually put clay in the mixture to make it look like you have some strange buildup that is being removed, but a healthy colon does not have pounds of fecal matter crusted to the walls.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    I used to do colonics pretty regularly.i stopped for a while due to the cost but if you go to a reputable place I highly recommend them. I felt a lot better after having them done. I'm big on disease prevention (I'm an RN) and therefore go by the principle that if your gut is healthy then it is easier to avoid illness. This is why it is so important to eat healthy and balanced but most of us don't do that. If your diet isn't healthy then colonics can be especially helpful. If I can afford it again I will resume but right now I'm doing well with all the veggies I eat and taking probiotics daily.
    Might want to re examine it then. Possible introduction of other bacteria or disruption on microbiota in the digestive system by a colonic could cause pathogen introduction (especially through muscosal barrier).

http://www.nature.com/cmi/journal/v8/n2/full/cmi201067a.html

Credible scientific evidence to show that colonics improve colon health don't exist. Pseudoscience, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Also mentioning that IF there is a issue with build up, then a colonic ain't gonna cure the problem. That's why there are gastroenterologists. And I don't know of one that would advise getting one.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • joshdann
    joshdann Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    to echo what everyone has said here, avoid the colonic. it's pure snake oil. It might relieve a minor blockage in the short term, but the risks and the generally bad effects of any "colon hydrotherapy" are well documented.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Colonics or colon hydrotherapy are not for wright loss. You may lose a few ounces, but no more than taking a giant ****. After all, you are absorbing quarts of water during a session.

I enjoy a colonic for other reasons. There are many naysayers, they will say that it's dangerous (only if its performed by someone who is not trained) and that it rids your colon of its normal flora (no more than a giant **** would) but there are benefits if you're interested I would suggest a simple google search. The AMA is against it. *shrug*
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Let's be honest here. Is your friend someone that's losing the same 5 lbs all the time or is this someone who you admire and look up to as a model of fitness?

No this is a friend of mine who I have known for years... who prides herself on working out and eating right... but goes in spurts... so the weight is on again and off again..... regardless of all that tho she still does these colonics.... I am just curious as to what other fitness minded people...(like you all) think of this procedure..
  • RawMomma10
    RawMomma10 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the replies.....

I have been of the mind that just eating right... lots of fiber would do the same thing... so Im glad Im not off base with my way of thinking about this. :)
  • ellel1234
    ellel1234 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is hating on Colonic's on here! I say, if you have the money for it, go for it! My aunt passed away from colon cancer and I have researched and found out that colonics can prevent colon cancer. Also, I hear you feel great afterwards. Even if you don't lose any weight, it's totally great to get rid of all that gunk in your colon.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    No, thank you.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    double posty
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I don't know why everyone is hating on Colonic's on here! I say, if you have the money for it, go for it! My aunt passed away from colon cancer and I have researched and found out that colonics can prevent colon cancer. Also, I hear you feel great afterwards. Even if you don't lose any weight, it's totally great to get rid of all that gunk in your colon.

colonics do NOT prevent colon cancer.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/gastro.html

Always check quackwatch-- it's a really good source of info on so-called alternative treatments.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

I'd love to see the research.