Troubleshoot me?

Options
I have not been losing and would like some advice.

Stats:
Age 39
Height 5.5
Weight: 202
Desired weight: 145
WOE: Vegetarian (with very occasional meat)
Calorie Goal: 1300
I don’t eat back my calories from exercise.
Exercise: Tabata 1x, walking 2x, Zumba 1x per week
Water: 78-120 oz/day
Sleep: 6-8 hours
Stress: moderate

I am having trouble getting my food scale to work so I have been measuring and scanning barcodes and taking the larger option on the lists.

It’s been about two months and not much has happened yet. I am a mom of 5 so sometimes I missed logging but I’m a pretty habitual eater and don’t stray much beyond what you see in my diary, which I have made public.

When I went to a doctor a year ago the initial blood panel came up clean and all he could tell me was to maybe stop going out to eat for dinner once a month- Not helpful, as I have logged those meals and still been within caloric deficit.

Advice would be wonderful. Thank you to those who give of their time and expertise to help others with their goals! I hope to be a success story so someday I can help too.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    If you open up your food diary (make it public) people might be able to see where you are making mistakes. Sometimes it's in not weighing everything, sometimes not including things like oil used in cooking or cream in coffee, sometimes it's using erroneous entries in the data base.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    So the 1300 was a goal based on how much deficit for about 55 lbs to lose?

Are you using a TDEE deficit method with MFP to create a 1000 cal deficit you think?
    That's what it appears as. Should always be mentioned to help people know you are not using the tool incorrectly, just differently.

Because if using MFP and it's NEAT method as the tool - are you set to Sedentary (not active) activity level, or since you have kids the more honest lightly active?

Just to be aware you can be causing stress to body that won't feel like stress to you, but it is under stress anyway.

How long are the exercise sessions you may or may not be accounting for, but will be counted by your body?
    To get a TDEE of 2374 for you I used 45 min zumba, 10 min tabata, 120 min walking weekly.

Just TDEE Please spreadsheet - better than rough 5 level TDEE charts from 1919 study.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1G7FgNzPq3v5WMjDtH0n93LXSMRY_hjmzNTMJb3aZSxM/edit?usp=sharing

So it would seem difficult to overcome a 1000 cal deficit by inaccurate logging alone, unless it's just really dishonest logging, which you aren't.

But stress related cortisol increasing water weight can go up to 20 lbs slowly. How many weeks of no movement on scale could that be?

Are you doing measurements of several body parts to give a better story than mere scale weight can give?

Accuracy of the food logging, and database entries used, could be an issue.
    But then likely would mean deficit isn't that great, so less chance of stress water weight.
    Though inaccuracy can go the other way too - and bigger deficit than you think, more stress.

Measurements would be really good to know.
    Use that spreadsheet to track once you make a copy.
  • aubreeshelley
    aubreeshelley Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    76nwh8x4cos3.jpeg
    Is this the TDEE you’re talking about?

I inputted my stats into every online calculator I could find and the recommended calories was alway between 1200 and 1400 so I decided to average them for my goal.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    I haven’t been measuring, but have used one pair of jeans as an indicator. No change there.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    So that link that you so kindly inputted for me was confusing... it seemed like my recommended calorie deficit still had me up in the 2000+ range for daily calorie intake. Is that right or am I reading it wrong?
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,151 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    What does 'not much has happened yet' mean. No weight loss at all? Slow weight loss?

With a calorie goal of 1300, I'm guessing you have chosen a fairly agressive weight loss rate. Combined with not eating back your exercise calories, you are close to what I would consider the minimum intake for a woman (with your stats).
    I am nearly the same age as you, same height and a similar starting weight, and I lost weight eating quite a few calories more than you. More slowly than most people want to lose weight, I will admit (50lbs in 14 months), but the upside was that I wasn't feeling deprived.
    I'm also wondering what activity level you chose on MFP? If you chose sedentary but you are actually more active (you don't mention if you have a job, but being a mother of 5 is probably a job on its own), you are creating an even bigger deficit.
    An agressive calorie deficit can cause water retention, which will mask fat loss on the scale.

As for your exercise: you don't specify the intensity or duration of the exercise, but if this is an increase compared to when you weren't trying to lose weight, this could also be causing water retention.

As for your food: your diary isn't public actually. But weighing is really important, without it you can't be sure of your calorie intake.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    Oh, I thought I put the settings on public! I will go double check that. Thank you, Lietchi.

1. I would like to lose 1lb a week, but at this point would be happy with .5/week
    2. I chose lightly active. I have a job supervising a dance class where I’m standing and walking around for 3 -4 hours 2 days a week.
    3. My exercise is 5 min warmup followed by 30 min of Tabata where my heart rate gets up to 160 five times. Not sure how to explain that, followed by 15 min of light toning and then a 5 min stretch. The walking is not intense but lasts an hour.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    In 2 months I have lost about 3lbs
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    The good news is you are losing. If you improve your logging accuracy, you could reasonably lose a little more consistently.

I'm not sure if you're not comfortable using the food scale, or that you don't have a functional one. They are inexpensive, and once you get in the routine: simple to use. I have this one: it is high capacity so it can give me a readout of food in my heaviest casserole dish. And it is USB rechargable - so no worries about batteries being dead at a time when you can't find batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XZKBSDJ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Eating 1300-1700 is NOT unreasonable, in my opinion, given your stats. Having a range is SO much easier mentally - also my opinion. Trying to hit a certain # every day would drive me mad.

For comparison, I am 46/5'5"/135ish now heading for about 130. I lost ~50 in 2014, found some of it over the past couple of years, and since mid June I've gone from 148 to where I am now. My present routine: cardio 60 minutes walking daily, strength/body weight exercises 4-5 times a week, desk job. Older kids so I'm no longer chasing them! I eat 1400-1700 daily and am now losing about 2-3 pounds per month. (A smaller body uses less energy.
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    I haven’t been measuring, but have used one pair of jeans as an indicator. No change there.

You've got a great personality. No trouble there. Keep tooling along and best regards.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    A food scale is less than $20 at Walmart. Invest in one and weigh and measure your portions.

Also, you set yourself as lightly active. That is before any additional exercise you are logging correct? If the lightly active INCLUDES your exercise, you wouldn’t also add the exercise into your diary.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    So that link that you so kindly inputted for me was confusing... it seemed like my recommended calorie deficit still had me up in the 2000+ range for daily calorie intake. Is that right or am I reading it wrong?

3 different deficit levels are given there, at non-MFP % rates rather than block 250 cal deficits (500, 750, 1000).
    The 20% max is indeed higher eating goal than MFP usually, it's a very non-stressful recommendation for slow and steady.

So you are using MFP's NEAT (Non-Exercise Activity) method though (it's not showing you a TDEE figure), but that spreadsheet is a TDEE (Total Daily Energy) method like you'd find on all other sites besides MFP, I believe the spreadsheet is better than those sites because it's based on more recent research and better options for daily and exercise activity.
    And I've redone it for your stated exercise times and now increased daily activity - 5 kids and 2 days daily walking work! Oh yeah more than Lightly-Active probably.

MFP method means a daily variation in eating goal based on extra activity done - the exercise.
    To keep the same deficit when you burn a different amount - you would eat a different amount, right?
    Hence after logging exercise your eating goal goes up.
    Even though you haven't been doing that.
    So your deficit is even higher.
    But frankly not awful - lucked out.

If you wanted to eat the same amount daily for easy planning, because your exercise is just that consistent, you can use the TDEE method with MFP, selected activity level really doesn't matter, estimating workout calories burned and entering is not done - you just manually set your eating goal to a reasonable amount and adjust as needed. And 500 deficit is very reasonable.
    But with the changes in that spreadsheet, I show estimated TDEE of 2400 to 2700 depending on that job and running around daily for household duties.

Now back to the regularly scheduled and appropriate discussion of food logging accuracy.

@nana - nice scale recommendation with rechargeable battery.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    A food scale is less than $20 at Walmart. Invest in one and weigh and measure your portions.

Also, you set yourself as lightly active. That is before any additional exercise you are logging correct? If the lightly active INCLUDES your exercise, you wouldn’t also add the exercise into your diary.
    Yes, lightly active is the rest of my life besides the above mentioned exercise.

I have a scale- but there must be something wrong with it or I’m using it wrong. I just tested it again. I put a bowl on it, then hit the TARE button, then just for testing purposes put a package on that has its net weight listed as 206 g. When I placed the bowl with the package in it back on the scale it says it is 412 g.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,151 Member
    Options
    Did you remove the packaging and add only the contents to the bowl?
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    Options
    For your test package on the scale - the net weight listed of 206g should be the food inside the box/can/canister/bag. And it can be +/- up to 20%. What was it contained in? The package has weight also. So a glass jar would add more than a small plastic bag.
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I have a scale- but there must be something wrong with it or I’m using it wrong. I just tested it again. I put a bowl on it, then hit the TARE button, then just for testing purposes put a package on that has its net weight listed as 206 g. When I placed the bowl with the package in it back on the scale it says it is 412 g.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    Phew! I got it to work properly.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Test it with a nickle if you are in the US. Set the scale to grams, make sure it is at 0 and place a nickle on the scale. A nickle weighs 5 grams.

I periodically check my scale as I assume that it won’t weigh true forever. I do the nickle test about once a month or so now that I’ve had the scale for awhile (over a year) and once every 3 months or so when it was newer.
  • aubreeshelley
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »
    What does 'not much has happened yet' mean. No weight loss at all? Slow weight loss?

With a calorie goal of 1300, I'm guessing you have chosen a fairly agressive weight loss rate. Combined with not eating back your exercise calories, you are close to what I would consider the minimum intake for a woman (with your stats).
    I am nearly the same age as you, same height and a similar starting weight, and I lost weight eating quite a few calories more than you. More slowly than most people want to lose weight, I will admit (50lbs in 14 months), but the upside was that I wasn't feeling deprived.
    I'm also wondering what activity level you chose on MFP? If you chose sedentary but you are actually more active (you don't mention if you have a job, but being a mother of 5 is probably a job on its own), you are creating an even bigger deficit.
    An agressive calorie deficit can cause water retention, which will mask fat loss on the scale.

As for your exercise: you don't specify the intensity or duration of the exercise, but if this is an increase compared to when you weren't trying to lose weight, this could also be causing water retention.

As for your food: your diary isn't public actually. But weighing is really important, without it you can't be sure of your calorie intake.

How much of my weight could be water retention?

I like knowing that you lost weight eating more calories than me- but shouldn’t the calories in/calories our principle mean that I should be losing the less I eat? (I know within reason- I did Optavia where they have you eat 900 cal/day and I lost weight, but felt like I had the flu the whole time).
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,986 Member
    Options
    Lietchi wrote: »

How much of my weight could be water retention?

I like knowing that you lost weight eating more calories than me- but shouldn’t the calories in/calories our principle mean that I should be losing the less I eat? (I know within reason- I did Optavia where they have you eat 900 cal/day and I lost weight, but felt like I had the flu the whole time).

I think rather than worrying about water retention and other issues, you should see where you're at now that you've been able to get the scales to work properly (if I'm interpreting your previous post correctly).

Easily nine times out of ten when people post looking for explanations of why they're not losing as expected, we find logging issues. Actually using a food scale is probably the number one issue in resolving such problems.