Anyone else salicylate sensitive/sulphite allergy?

Options
Its the thing I struggle with most in terms of a healthy rounded diet as healthy foods are unsafe for me and safe foods unhealthy 😅 go figure

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    My sister in law does. Sorry I'm not actually helpful. But I have heard of it.
  • LuckysGurl
    LuckysGurl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have a suspected sulphite/sulfate intolerance, although I seem to be able to tolerate up to a certain (as yet unquantified) threshold before I react. I actually find that it makes it easier to eat healthy, because I tend to be fine with whole foods and have a much greater issue with processed foods that contain more of the added salt derivative chemical/preservatives.

Are there any healthy foods in particular that you're struggling with?
  • Oliveciabatta
    Oliveciabatta Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Fruit and veg mainly. Most are high in salicylate so I'm stuck for options mainly for snacking as I can only really eat pears and peeled apples. And banana but I don't like banana haha. Also healthy drinking options as I can't have teas coffee or dilute juice and water is just so dull. I end up eating too much dairy and carbs like rice and bread as so many vegetables and fruit cause me allergy reaction
  • springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    When I was recovering from Rheumatic Fever about eight years ago, I wasn’t tolerating the steroids well for the joint swelling and refused to take opioids for the joint pain, so Doc put me on megadoses of aspirin, which is an “old school” treatment.

Made it about a week before it felt like my stomach was on fire.

If you’ve got that reaction to small amounts in food, you have my utmost sympathy.