Why do you care if people read your food diary?

Options

Replies

• ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    This is a question for the people who have their food diary set to private. I'm just wondering why you care if people read it?

I don't to be quite honest, if they read it, they still can't understand or interpret much from. I just made mine private recently, and noticed you also have a private food diary. Why so?
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    It's not anyone else's business.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Deviette wrote: »
    Why not? Why do you care if people have their diary set to private?

I sometimes find it interesting to read food diaries, to see what works for others in their weight loss journey.

Thank you to the people who have answered my question. 🙏
    Some really good points have been mentioned, ones I didn't even think of.

This is why I do not share. The answer to what works is not in how I eat but the calorie number at the end of the day.

I think it is a great diagnostic tool for anyone who is truly failing to meet their loss, maintain, or gain goals to open their diary at least temporarily for assistance.

A point might be made that a person with a highly specialized and medically required diet might should share to help others finding themselves in the same boat. Not talking broad diets like carb controlled, low sodium, low fat, low protein, etc. I am thinking things like gluten avoidance. However, these newly diagnosed people really need to in nutrition counseling/education with an RD or similar.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    eatyogarun wrote: »
    This is a question for the people who have their food diary set to private. I'm just wondering why you care if people read it?

And I wonder why people care that I have it private. So we're even.

Edited to add: thank you to all of the other people saying they'd be more likely to fudge if it was public. I'm the same way. There was a thing here for a while where people insisted you were hiding/lying if your diary wasn't open. Weird hill to die on.

Agreed... I also find it weird for random people to send unsolicited messages about what folks eat. I have never personally have that happen or seen that happen in all my time on MFP (almost 10 years), but have always heard stories of it. So weird to be that involved in strangers.
  • John772016
    John772016 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Mine was private and I changed it to locked with a key as I was working with an RD prior to joining and already was sharing a food diary with her. Not sure that anyone else's opinion was important enough for me to change it to public.
    Since moving to maintenance, pretty sure my mostly created recipe entries would be pretty useless to everyone.....so no real point in sharing it.
  • bigblues11
    bigblues11 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends only. I don't really browse randomly through food diaries of other members. I do support my friends here by looking through quickly and personalizing comments on the daily. I can say that I do get some great new dish ideas from their log :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Private is the default setting and I post all the time about my "dirty" eating and how it almost doesn't matter what you're eating as long as your macro/micro nutrients needs are met.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,558 Member
    Options
    I don't mind people looking at my diary, I think it's pretty interesting seeing what people eat but I get hungry doing it and I'm normally (not the last couple weeks) eating an anti-inflammatory diet so all the sweets give me cravings for things I can't have! The comments every once and awhile throw me, I think I'm so used to thinking of what I do as private that when someone notices little things it surprises me. My favorite comment in the last two years was after I had a major sugar craving and only had apples in the house and ate like 4 in a row, I logged it as one apple and someone commented that I ate huge apples. I weigh everything so it was like a 600 gram apple! That had to be a sarcastic comment, right? That would be like a watermelon!
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    I don't mind people looking at my diary, I think it's pretty interesting seeing what people eat but I get hungry doing it and I'm normally (not the last couple weeks) eating an anti-inflammatory diet so all the sweets give me cravings for things I can't have! The comments every once and awhile throw me, I think I'm so used to thinking of what I do as private that when someone notices little things it surprises me. My favorite comment in the last two years was after I had a major sugar craving and only had apples in the house and ate like 4 in a row, I logged it as one apple and someone commented that I ate huge apples. I weigh everything so it was like a 600 gram apple! That had to be a sarcastic comment, right? That would be like a watermelon!

Wait, was that me? That sounds like the kind of joke I would make! 😁
  • ChristopherLimoges
    ChristopherLimoges Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I haven't seen anyone talking about or taking Ashwandha on here after I started inputting it into my diary anyway. Who cares, the health industry is a highly competitive and deceptive place. 😴
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I don’t care that’s why it’s open and why I’m here for accountability. I’ve gotten very good advice by having it open by many experience people here when I’m struggling they say ok this is what I’d work on, or cut out or back.