Stairmaster Alternative

Options
Hey guys,
I'm currently trying to get fit for a fitness exam early next year, and part of the exam requires using a Stair Master for 3 minutes at 60 steps per minute whilst wearing a 20kg weight vest and two 6kg weighted shoulder straps.

The weight vest and shoulder straps are fine, but i dont have anywhere locally that has a Stair Master... I have been training using dumbell step ups... but paranoia is setting in about the speed of a stair master and the height of the steps... as ive never used one.

Those that have, would attempting 60+ steps per minute for 3 minutes using a normal step box be sufficient for training?

Am think i'm overthinking this too much?

Replies

• MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    You can't really replicate a Stair Master. I used to ride the things for 120 stories on some days at the gym or try to do 100 floors in under 20 minutes. But I've never used one with that much weight. 60 stairs per minute isn't terribly fast, but it's a decent clip.

I would say that a step box or plyo box is harder per step, but you can't do that many steps as fast. I'd see if you can find a steep hill to train on and just be able to climb up the hill fast. If you can't, keep doing the step ups. Find stairs, get creative.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Yea, find a tall building and stair climb indoors. Office buildings (ideally ones without security guards) are great for this.

Also, I'd practice with 10-25% more weight in the vest with any alternative. That way, come exam time that part's a cake walk. Hmmm, cake climb? 🤔
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    I thought of this later on. Stadium bleachers are everywhere. Even if you don't live near a building with lots of stairs or a state with lots of hills. Anyone should be able to find stadium stairs at a local high school. That would be wonderful practice for you. I assume it's a firefighter test. Good luck with it.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,632 Member
    Options
    Stadium bleachers are a better bet than buildings, whose staircases have a lot of turns all in the same direction that can lead to knee injury on the inside knee. A mini stepper will be less hard than a stair master, I think, but they can be found cheaply on amazon and take up less 30 cubic centimetres of space. I bought one for home when my gym closed during lockdown.