4th time lucky?

Options
Back up to 266lbs as of last week. 3 times I've gone down to 220lbs from around 266 and put it back on every time. Trouble is each time when I get down to 220lbs I cant get any lower. Like not even 219.

So I'll be back in a year or so when I'm down to 220 for some advice.

I remember 10 years ago I got down to 220 and started running and even, stupidly, ate 1500 a day for a week as well as running about 8 miles and lost nothing. Second week very similar. This was after losing 45lbs by simply WALKING and eating 1800-2200.

Anyway, I know the rules and I'll be back logging everything, not paying attention to the scale daily and doing everything I've done in the past to successfully and healthily lose weight.

I just hope I can keep it off this time as it's never the weight loss I find hard it's the maintain.

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,389 Member
    Options
    So what happens when you reach 220? How long do you stay there? Do you just give up after a week? Do you start new exercise or a new way of eating? Anything else?

First thing: weight loss takes time. It takes longer to lose weight than to gain
    Then: Do you use a foodscale and do you make sure you select the correct database entries?
  • Deviette
    Deviette Posts: 979 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Well, as you said you got to 220lb and started running. People often hold onto weight for a few weeks when they start an exercise program, don't be discouraged! I'm sure you know that the only reason you're hitting 220lb and stopping is because something's changing. There isn't a magic switch that changes when you get below that magic, nice, round number. We a human beings like to randomly assign meaning to nice round numbers, and that sounds like what you're doing here. If it helps 220lbs is 99.7kg. That is not a round number. So stop telling yourself every time you reach 220lb you can't lose any more, because at some point you might just believe that. It makes it easier to give up if you say "well when I reach 220lb I can never go further, so I'll just stay here". Don't give up. You _know_ you can break that mental block on that value. Give it time and trust the process. And use a weight trending app. Seriously, they're amazing!

Wish you all the best! Remember, it doesn't matter how many times you've tried to lose weight before because all that matters is the last time. Make this your last time!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you take your eye off the ball in the maintain. Since you know what to do, just treat the maintain as a weight loss program where you're not actually losing any (or much) weight. And if you want to get below 220 then tackle that once you've maintained for a few months at least. Also, are you hating every minute of the weight loss phase and longing for goal and "normality"? Because that will scupper you long term, if normality means doing what you do to reach 260. You need to reframe "normal". Good luck. You got this.
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Do you keep logging and tracking calories as well as exercise once you've reached the goal? Its something to consider.