Backpacking & Caloric Density

Options
I am in the initial stages of planning an eight day backpacking trip that will not have any good place to re-provision. That means I will need to pack and carry all my food and fuel to last the trip. I anticipate needing to eat 4000 calories a day and I'm getting concerned with how much all that food will weigh. Nuts seem to be the rock star of caloric density, but I am looking for verity in nutrition and palatability.

I really don't want to spend 100's of dollars on freeze dried meal kits. Or dozens of dollars on beef jerky. I am willing to pause my current moratorium on processed foods.

Any and all help is appreciated. Looking at a June 11th start date.

Replies

• IronIsMyTherapy
    IronIsMyTherapy Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it but they make a high carb energy gel in individual packets. They're popular with marathoners.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,987 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    On the backpacking trips I've done....

For breakfast, I usually go with protein bars...but that's because I hate oatmeal. If you like oatmeal, the instant pouches are a good option, and you can add in nuts, brown sugar, and dried fruit for more calories.

For lunch/snacks...salami and cheese is a go-to, especially if it's not too hot where you are going. On one trip, we had tortillas and peanut butter...we just rolled up the tortillas with a smear of peanut butter inside, and it was a great trail lunch.

For main meals, we've done a lot of pasta and rice-based dishes...You can get those dried side dishes that come in pouches at the grocery store...they are pretty cheap, and powdered sauce/spices are already in there, just add in pouches of tuna or chicken, or dried meat for more protein and calories. Boxed mac and cheese works, too. Dried soups and chili not only give you more calories, but hydrate you as well.

In general, for the sake of keeping your pack weight down, you're going to have to rely on a lot of dried foods, especially for an 8-day trip. But, they don't have to be the expensive backpacking-specific brands you find at outdoors stores. Just look for the convenience ones at your regular grocery store. As a bonus, these processed foods tend to have a lot of sodium...which is something you need while backpacking.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The problem with nuts is the fact you don't actually get to absorb all those calories for use.
    Some in trail mix for some of the calories won't have you miss too much probably.
    But probably don't want 1/2 of your daily calories on paper to be from nuts, because in reality you won't get them all.

How fit will you be for this?
    Because more fit means more of energy source will be fat as it won't be a hard workout for you, compared to using carbs as more of energy source if it is an intense workout.
    That can have a bearing on foods taken.

Will that be in cooler climate despite summer?
    May enjoy oatmeal or such in morning when cooler.
    Evening meals may be able to do cold rehydrate recipes that need no heat-up for eating, but some want hot dinners.

And then is there things to help some foods go for smaller quantities?
    Like I can easily do 2 servings of oatmeal and add some raisins, nuts, coconut, ect for breakfast.
    But I can do 1 serving if I add in some protein powder, which takes much less volume and provides that extra protein. Morning not the best time for it being used, but some will.

I can do most of the Clif bars, usually 2 a day easily, lunch and snack, if not 3, and throw in a protein bar for evening snack before bed when body will use that extra protein for repair. I just can't eat Blueberry something anymore, value box that needed to be used up mistake. Variety good idea, that was not.
    Most won't melt, even though I prefer winter backpacking so not a problem usually.
    They are nutritionally packed and decent protein for the 250 cal ones.
    Turkey bites, Beef bites, ect are high sodium (I get no other besides freeze dried meal so that's fine for me) adds a little bit of flavor to the day. Summer sausage probably do the same thing and used to do that, but hard to find the ones that don't require refrigeration after opening.

8 freeze dried meals if you go that route is a chunk of space, but can be done. Variety and only 1 a day if you want hot dinner. I like the simple dinner and cleanup aspect after walking all day.

For just some plain old calories for the day, Twizzlers different flavors packs tight. Or peanut butter jar.

3lbs a day food & fuel is my average for cold weather trips with only a tad of either left over. No experience doing warmer, but should be able to be lighter than that.

Test all desired foods first in daily life, literally pick a day and eat as you would on trail, correct quantity though, but same foods. makes sure no surprise mixes for stomach. If it can be a busy moving around day even better. When stomach doesn't get to be the focus for blood supply to deal with what you ate because you are walking - some things sitting there longer can have bad effect.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    My husband and I did 2 nights 3 days with 5 dogs. Needless to say the food for the dogs weighed more than ours did, but we went with mountain house freeze dried foods for dinner, lunch and breakfast and protein bars and nuts for snacks.

We carried all of our food and the dogs kibble in a bear canister since we live in an area with a lot of black bears and didn’t want to have to tree our food.

You might want to sign up and ask around on some of the backpacker forums though to see what people like AT through hikers are bringing on the trail. Most of them only refuel once a week and they definitely pack light.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,991 Member
    edited October 2020
    Options
    4k cals/day? Really?

Seems like you are unnecessarily limiting your options by ruling out freeze dried food and jerky.

If you have a "bear canister" or odor proof bags, beef sticks and/or jerky would be the best hi cal/hi protein options. Gallo sliced salami (15 oz sealed bags) would also be on option but come w/LOTS.of NaCl.

I could just eat jerky, beef sticks and salami all day long. :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    You can get ideas from sites like this:

https://www.ems.com/camp-and-hike/camp-kitchen/food-and-beverages/

Then ways to make that cheaper from this excellent post:
    On the backpacking trips I've done....

For breakfast, I usually go with protein bars...but that's because I hate oatmeal. If you like oatmeal, the instant pouches are a good option, and you can add in nuts, brown sugar, and dried fruit for more calories.

For lunch/snacks...salami and cheese is a go-to, especially if it's not too hot where you are going. On one trip, we had tortillas and peanut butter...we just rolled up the tortillas with a smear of peanut butter inside, and it was a great trail lunch.

For main meals, we've done a lot of pasta and rice-based dishes...You can get those dried side dishes that come in pouches at the grocery store...they are pretty cheap, and powdered sauce/spices are already in there, just add in pouches of tuna or chicken, or dried meat for more protein and calories. Boxed mac and cheese works, too. Dried soups and chili not only give you more calories, but hydrate you as well.

In general, for the sake of keeping your pack weight down, you're going to have to rely on a lot of dried foods, especially for an 8-day trip. But, they don't have to be the expensive backpacking-specific brands you find at outdoors stores. Just look for the convenience ones at your regular grocery store. As a bonus, these processed foods tend to have a lot of sodium...which is something you need while backpacking.
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    4k cals/day? Really?

Seems like you are unnecessarily limiting your options by ruling out freeze dried food and jerky.

If you have a "bear canister" or odor proof bags, beef sticks and/or jerky would be the best hi cal/hi protein options. Gallo sliced salami (15 oz sealed bags) would also be on option but come w/LOTS.of NaCl.

For a guy? At LEAST 4k if my trips were any indication...I'm not sure what the OPs trip will be like, but mine have always been around 6-8 miles of strenuous mountain hiking every day, while carrying a 40-pound pack. That's a pretty typical backpacking trip in my mind. It ain't car camping and making s'mores. :p
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    4k cals/day? Really?

For a guy? At LEAST 4k if my trips were any indication...I'm not sure what the OPs trip will be like, but mine have always been around 6-8 miles of strenuous mountain hiking every day, while carrying a 40-pound pack. That's a pretty typical backpacking trip in my mind. It ain't car camping and making s'mores. :p

Well I'm out on that note. :laugh:
  • SuzySunshine99
    Options
    4k cals/day? Really?

Well I'm out on that note. :laugh:

I suppose you don't want to dig a hole to poop in either. People are soft these days.... :D
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Anyone else thinking of "Wild" with Reese Witherspoon hking the PCT?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBNNfPF7o8
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Clif bars dipped in peanut butter is one of my goto's for mountaineering/backpacking.