Anyone tried do the 5:2 along side my fitness pal,

Options
2»

Replies

• andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I started Monday I have 2 days of fasting then 5 days of 1200 cals, I'm just curious to see what the results are. Plus I need some control over food otherwise I'm a massive over eater.

You are going to get a lot of haters here... I suggest joining the 5:2 groups so you get support.

Also, I'm sorry but you're doing it wrong... It's 2 days of fasting and 5 days at TDEE. So it'll average around 1200.. The way you're doing it, you are getting WAY lower calories than you should and that's wrong.

My two cents...
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    OMG! I failed miserably at 5:2, mostly because I don't eat breakfast and don't have time for more than a quick bite for lunch so fasting for a whole day really meant going from dinner on day 1 to dinner on day 3 with only about 1000 calories between. So I could have had an early dinner on day 1, 500 cal at the next lunch and then a late dinner? Rats!! :smile:

You're not supposed to fast on consecutive days.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

Sleeping is usually not included in the 24 hours

So what does breakfast mean?

To add: I was doing 12/12 including sleep for 6-8 hours. IF worked for me even though I was eating TDEE during the 12 hour eating window.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

Sleeping is usually not included in the 24 hours

So what does breakfast mean?

To add: I was doing 12/12 including sleep for 6-8 hours. IF worked for me even though I was eating TDEE during the 12 hour eating window.

Yes, I can't see why sleeping would not be included and can find no reference to that. However, I did see mentioned, a 2pm to 2pm window as an example of the plan's flexibility (like your 1pm to 1pm).
  • andiebaco
    andiebaco Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    OMG! I failed miserably at 5:2, mostly because I don't eat breakfast and don't have time for more than a quick bite for lunch so fasting for a whole day really meant going from dinner on day 1 to dinner on day 3 with only about 1000 calories between. So I could have had an early dinner on day 1, 500 cal at the next lunch and then a late dinner? Rats!! :smile:

I sometimes do (ok.. two times out of four intents). It is hard. But since I have busy fridays and I just can't seem to be able to fast on weekends, I do what it works for me.. and that means that sometimes I fast back to back.

But it is hard! And I don't recommend it if you're just starting.
  • darrensurrey
    Options

I sometimes do (ok.. two times out of four intents). It is hard. But since I have busy fridays and I just can't seem to be able to fast on weekends, I do what it works for me.. and that means that sometimes I fast back to back.

I bet it is. I say "supposed", 5:2 is also called alternate day fasting is it not? TBH there are no hard and fast rules for IF in its many forms. I don't think enough research has been done to categorically state that 5:2 is the most effective way or 16/8 is the best intraday split. That's to say, 4:3 may work for someone but it may be suboptimal even if they find it works for them. "In spite of" vs "because of".
  • mrsmcf
    mrsmcf Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    That is WAY too few calories on non-fasting days. You will lose at first but eventually your body will think it's starving and save every little ounce of fat and you will STALL. I started with 5:2 and 1500 on non-fast days but have given up the fasting. A true 5:2 is fasting at 500 cals for two non consecutive days and eating at your TDEE the other five days. 1200 is WAY too low.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    For the 5:2 diet you are supposed to eat 500 calories on fast days (for women) and eat at your maintenance on the other five days. That is why they say "you're only dieting two days out of the week". In general i know a lot of women that simply eat 500 calories on fast days and 2000 calories on feast days. The average weight loss for this way seems to be 1lb a week. Although the first couple weeks you will probably lose more.
  • joannamthomas
    joannamthomas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    yes, it's essential to track how many calories I've eaten.
  • stylistchicky
    stylistchicky Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I want to loose as much weight and as fast as possible too, but it isnt healthy at all. If you follow your calories and exercise it is possible to loose weight in a healthy way so you don't put it back on. You really are setting yourself up for failure because, you will loose a few lbs and then when you stop your fasting and start eating again your weight loss will stop or really slow down. Consistency and being honest with yourself about what you are eating and weighing and measuring to ensure accuracy will give you steady weight loss. If you are keeping your journal and you stop loosing you can look back at the foods and make changes. Fad diets don't work in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Not tried the 5:2 and going to stick with MFP calorie counting as it seems to be working. I did buy a 5:2 fast day recipe book and there are some really nice recipes there that I can just add in to my normal day. Probably as close as I will ever get to 5:2
  • Qskim
    Options

I bet it is. I say "supposed", 5:2 is also called alternate day fasting is it not? TBH there are no hard and fast rules for IF in its many forms. I don't think enough research has been done to categorically state that 5:2 is the most effective way or 16/8 is the best intraday split. That's to say, 4:3 may work for someone but it may be suboptimal even if they find it works for them. "In spite of" vs "because of".

My feeling from the book was that it just offered A way of fasting as opposed to THE way. I like the fact that they are honest enough to say for example, that research is ongoing as to whether or not it is better to split cals on a fast day or have one meal at the end.
  • dominijean
    dominijean Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I agree with jdad1. I only know from experience.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,671 Member
    Options
    I haven't ready all the posts, so apologies if my story has already been done.

When I started MFP i was doing 5:2. Kept it up for 3 months and was successful at losing weight with it. I think that if you psychologically find it easier to deal with occasional extreme deprivation than constant low level deprivation it is a good eating pattern. I stopped while on vacation and never re-started. I now eat at a more conventional deficit and my weight loss is slower.

Long term it wasn't really for me, because I didn't like thinking about food all day on my fast days. Never had a problem exercising while fasted. I would typically do 60 minutes of cardio on the elliptical and maybe a 20 minute super set split on weights.

I do believe you can turn intermittent fasting into a long term weight management system. My old GP used to fast one day a week whenever he noticed his weight creeping upwards.

Doing 5:2 taught me some valuable lessons. I now know the difference between physical hunger and feeling peckish. I also know that being hungry, while an unpleasant distraction, doesn't kill you our render you totally useless in your daily endeavors.
  • Qskim
    Options
    I want to loose as much weight and as fast as possible too, but it isnt healthy at all. If you follow your calories and exercise it is possible to loose weight in a healthy way so you don't put it back on. You really are setting yourself up for failure because, you will loose a few lbs and then when you stop your fasting and start eating again your weight loss will stop or really slow down. Consistency and being honest with yourself about what you are eating and weighing and measuring to ensure accuracy will give you steady weight loss. If you are keeping your journal and you stop loosing you can look back at the foods and make changes. Fad diets don't work in the long run. Slow and steady wins the race.

I lost most of mine your consistent way. Came to a point though that I found cal counting tedious and a hindrance to what I was naturally inclined to do. I did not want to be chained to calorie counting for the rest of my life. I learnt alot from counting calories though but it is only one method. You can fall off that too and regain so no method is diehard unless you accept that to some degree there has to be a structure that you can live with for the ROYL. I no longer count calories on any day and I am still making progress. There is so much flexibility in the strategy that I'd attempt first before going back to counting cals (the thought of which repulses me).
  • sugafreak
    sugafreak Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I have been on the 5:2 plan for 5 weeks. I love it! Conventional dieting has never worked for me but I find this so easy, I've even been out for a few family meals and ate what I fancied working the weeks calories in around it. Like yourself I started with 2 x 500 days and 5 x 1200 days, though if I'm truthful I never followed the 1200 days to the letter. This was too little, as was pointed out to me and I agreed with so now I have 5 x 1500/1600 days. >.<

Overall in 5 weeks I've lost 18.5 pounds. I've also been doing the 30 day shred 3-4 times a week. I feel fantastic, have more energy and haven't had any flareups of my IBS which were a regular occurrence and caused me a lot of pain and constipation. I'm not anal about what I eat, if I want it have it.

Obviously everyone will experience it differently and for many people it's just not for them. It does work for me though and I'm so happy with it I'm planning to continue it long term. I will up my calories over the 5 days when I go back to work (currently have the summer off). Once I hit maintenance I will work the 5 days calories out to suit. Good luck with your goals! :happy: