will this be better for my health ?
i also wonder what make human eat such food like bread and rice
is this becoz they are filling ?
are they have any benefit
thanks

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    I eat carbs but I generally look for ones with more flavor than rice and bread. I also do not find them filling. I do eat rice and bread but bread is probably a couple of times a month. Rice is maybe once a quarter.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    You can replace some of your bread and pasta with foods like fruits and vegetables without completely eliminating them. Or you can eliminate them if you prefer. At the end of the day, your weight management is going to come down to the calories you consume. Some people find that foods like bread and rice aren't filling and prefer to choose other foods. Other people, like me, find that they are a satisfying source of energy and nutrients.

People eat them because they're enjoyable, typically very affordable, and they do provide energy and nutrients.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    If you don't want to eat carbs you can literally only eat chunks of butter/gulp away oil and eat meat and fish. Why would carbs be bad for you?
  • mariomicro
    mariomicro Posts: 74 Member
    saynow111 wrote: »
    thanks

Humans have always eaten some sort of carb-rich foods, just because they were freely available to forage, but our ancestors ate predominantly hunted animals and over-ground vegetables and fruits until agriculture took over hunter-gatherer societies.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/topics/reference/neolithic-agricultural-revolution/

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,899 Member
    i found recently i love this type espcially bread and rice
    i wonder if i eat vegetables and fruits and stopped this kind of carbs
    thanks

For many people they are filling. They were generally consistent sources of calories (remember at times meat was not very available to most, and fruits and veg are seasonal). They are still perfectly fine foods to include and do have some nutrients, including some that people tend to lack on some versions of a low carb diet, but for many of us reducing portions of those foods in favor of more veg and fruit and protein (including from carbier sources like beans and lentils) can make it easy to cut cals. Others find them very satisfying or filling so prefer to reduce other sources of cals (like fat or all across the board).

Like Novus, I don't especially love most bread or rice, so I found rarely eating bread and eating small servings of rice when I eat it to be an easy way to control cals, but that's taste preference, not because I think there's anything wrong with starchy carbs.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    mariomicro wrote: »
    thanks

Humans have always eaten some sort of carb-rich foods, just because they were freely available to forage, but our ancestors ate predominantly hunted animals and over-ground vegetables and fruits until agriculture took over hunter-gatherer societies.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/culture/topics/reference/neolithic-agricultural-revolution/

If you go even further back likely leftover meat from other animals, tubers, grasses, and fruits, and even further back likely even less meat.
  • NovusDies
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    thanks

For many people they are filling. They were generally consistent sources of calories (remember at times meat was not very available to most, and fruits and veg are seasonal). They are still perfectly fine foods to include and do have some nutrients, including some that people tend to lack on some versions of a low carb diet, but for many of us reducing portions of those foods in favor of more veg and fruit and protein (including from carbier sources like beans and lentils) can make it easy to cut cals. Others find them very satisfying or filling so prefer to reduce other sources of cals (like fat or all across the board).

Like Novus, I don't especially love most bread or rice, so I found rarely eating bread and eating small servings of rice when I eat it to be an easy way to control cals, but that's taste preference, not because I think there's anything wrong with starchy carbs.

It is a shame that homemade bread is more calories because that is bread I do actually love. It is hard to justify making an entire loaf though (even a small one) for 2 people and once frozen it is never the same.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited November 2020
    Humans are omnivores and yes we need carbs, that's why we eat them. Though they should be balanced with other food too.

Vegetables and fruits have carbs so you're going to have to eat some unless you eat only meat and oil.

Unless you mean grains and starches. Not carbs. That being said I think the human body also needs grains and starches in reasonable amounts. Our brains needs them. And there ARE nutrients in them, some that you really only get from them. They're not totally nutrient devoid.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,928 Member
    edited November 2020
    yirara wrote: »
    If you don't want to eat carbs you can literally only eat chunks of butter/gulp away oil and eat meat and fish. Why would carbs be bad for you?

Exactly.
  • janejellyroll
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    Humans are omnivores and yes we need carbs, that's why we eat them. Though they should be balanced with other food too.

Vegetables and fruits have carbs so you're going to have to eat some unless you eat only meat and oil.

Unless you mean grains and starches. Not carbs. That being said I think the human body also needs grains and starches in reasonable amounts. Our brains needs them. And there ARE nutrients in them, some that you really only get from them. They're not totally nutrient devoid.

What would be an example of a nutrient we can only get from grains or starches?
  • NovusDies

This is my question too. I am an eat the rainbow kind of person but I do not believe there are single source nutrients.
  • janejellyroll
    NovusDies wrote: »

This is my question too. I am an eat the rainbow kind of person but I do not believe there are single source nutrients.

Yes, my understanding is that while starches and grains *can be* good sources of nutrients, they are not required. You can meet your nutritional needs without them.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    thanks

Love the right kind of bread, but love pasta even more, not plain like rice could be of course, but with sauces that are usually decently high fat. Ehh, I make them fit.
    I do like the spicy rice dishes though, gumbo or Jambalaya flavoring.

Sadly I enjoy those types of carbs to almost exclusion of fruits and vege's if I allow it, though I can get in to those too, but indeed seems less filling despite extra water content and possibly more fiber.

Better for health?
    If the bread & rice calories stopped you from getting any vege's & fruit and the nutrients from them - ya that's not great long term.
    Do you have to stop the starchy carbs to do the other - can you not have some balance of both, perhaps on alternating days if you can't fit them all into 1 meal?

Bread and rice store longer than most fresh vege's & fruit too - so it's like there, and cheaper in some respects depending on location and season.

Filling to some. Unless I eat starches slow and with something to drink, like to make it swell up perhaps, I can go through a lot of starchy carbs pretty easy if it tastes good.

Without my glasses on that profile pic above me already reminds me of sausage and eggs, and now talking about this - I'm hungry.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,958 Member
    I eat bread every day and rice maybe a couple times per week. Perfectly fine...
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    I think I AM a carb at this point. You'll have to pry carbs from my cold, dead hands.

YES! At this point, I think some of my best friends are carbs. I would NEVER dream of giving up carbs. 😊