extra skin

Options
so this is for real a question I have for my sister.
she was always the fat kid, why i don't know why, she was the biggest baby, she could wear my clothes as a kid even though she was 5 years younger.
At her heaviest she was in I dunno 270lb now she is about 153lb, at i dunno 5'7'', my question does any one whose had massive weight loss like that actually been able to get rid of the extra skin?
her main issue is the tummy, love handle area.
her legs and arms are a bit flabby but i know w/ work they would tone up but the belly wow there is so much extra skin. is surgery really the only way????
thanks

Replies

• leavinglasvegas
    leavinglasvegas Posts: 1,495
    Options
    Quite possibly, that is the only way. But first, she should be very focused on strenght training to firm those areas. That will help alot. Also, it will take more time than normal, just because of the length of time she was heavy.

I would suggest first spending extra time and effort on firming and then have a consult with a few surgeons and see what they say. Most surgeons will want her to firm up first anyway.
  • brujeria48
    brujeria48 Posts: 25
    Options
    Well, I went up to 157 lbs. with my last pregnancy. I eventually lost all of it and have been anywhere between 100-110 lbs. for a few years now. I know your sister has a different situation, but it is still the same fluctuation of weight. I have a good BMI and lift weights four days a week. Most of my body was a bit loose and soft initially but the strength training did wonders for every area of my body except for my tummy. I have loose skin there that will never go away, and know a lot of other ladies that have the same issue. Some women bounce back beautifully, others don't, and I'm sure it has a lot to do with the natural elasticity of the skin.

Every trainer I've had, as well as the doctor I consulted told me that the only way to get rid of it is surgery. After years of seeing no results with strenuous physical training and a clean diet, I believe them.
  • TooFine4MFP
    TooFine4MFP Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Surgery is the only way. What has happened is her belly muscles have developed what is called a diastasis. The muscles are separated from the weight that was there, and they won't come back together completely. The result is the "pooch" or "overhang" that alot of people get after pregnancy and/or massive weight loss. No matter how much exercise you do, the muscles are separated and they won't tighten up. An abdominoplasty or tummy tuck is the only way. If it was just loose skin on the belly, then liposuction could help it, but since its separated muscle they have actually have to go in and pull the muscle back together and suture it, kinda like a corset. The results are beautiful and healing doesn't take long at all. Your sister needs to lose all the weight she wants first, and be done w/ childbearing, because if she gets pregnant afterward, she may have the same problem all over again. And she also has to maintain her weight afterward as well.
  • fchopin42
    fchopin42 Posts: 51
    Options
    I have had weight issues my entire life. About 4 years ago I lost about 70 pounds and was very happy with my size. I had two c-sections (and two BIG babies 9.8 lbs and 8.15 lbs) and was left with a big roll of skin. I had loose skin on my arms and legs but the more I exercised the better it got... My stomach never changed. I'm not sure if it was from the c-sections but it wasn't going away. I had planned to have the skin removed surgically but had some health issues and gained 40 pounds back. When I loose the excess weight this time I plan to have the skin removed. I know that seems superficial but It meant a lot to me and still does. Hopefully, because your sister is young and she hasn't had surgery on her stomach muscles, her stomach will go down in time. It may take a long time though.