WEIGHING FOOD VS VOLUME OF FOOD

Options
SO I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A SCALE AND I DO WEIGH A LOT OF MY FOOD ESPECIALLY MY MEAT.

However recently weighed a 8oz of Honey Nut Cherrios but measured in a measuring cup came to 2 and half cups of Cherrios. I deal with the same thing measuring popcorn. I guess my question is this.

When is a scale weight correct and what other food is the scale inaccurate for? My scale measures in grams and ounces.

Any pointers, advise?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,114 Member
    Options
    Well, Cheerios per serving are about three quarters of a cup or two ounces...so, not sure what your question is? I mean, there is some discrepancy, sure.

For cereal I'd weigh the amount I was going to eat.

For popcorn, I weigh the uncooked kernels. If you're using microwave popcorn, I got nothing - but if the container says "popped, two cups" then I guess you're stuck with cups.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    SO I WENT OUT AND BOUGHT A SCALE AND I DO WEIGH A LOT OF MY FOOD ESPECIALLY MY MEAT.

However recently weighed a 8oz of Honey Nut Cherrios but measured in a measuring cup came to 2 and half cups of Cherrios. I deal with the same thing measuring popcorn. I guess my question is this.

When is a scale weight correct and what other food is the scale inaccurate for? My scale measures in grams and ounces.

Any pointers, advise?

Fluid ounces are a measure of volume. Ounces (as in sixteenths of a pound) are a measure of weight). They are only equivalent (1 fl oz = 1 oz) for water and other substances with the same density/specific gravity as water.

A scale weight is always correct if you have an accurate entry that uses a weight measurement unit as its serving size.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I weigh food that doesn't already have a weight/label that tells me. So for cheerios I would probably go by the nutrition label of what they use as measurement, which is usually cups (but they will have grams listed usually next to it)
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    If it was cereal I would go by cup size. For liquid I also use teaspoon/ tablespoon/ cup. Everything else weight. Popcorn by kernel before popping. I weigh powders, vegetables, Fruit, nuts. For nut butter it may depend on kind. With avocado usually tablespoon.
  • MsCzar
    MsCzar Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    For cereal, you can weigh the label's serving measurement in ounces or grams and then transfer the cereal to a measuring cup so you know what the serving is supposed to look like. For oatmeal, I find it easier to just use measuring cups even though weighing is more accurate. Just don't be tempted to pack or round the cups!

I weigh pasta and popcorn dry (uncooked) for accuracy since cooked pasta usually contains sauce, veggies and of course, the cooking water; and different brands of popcorn expand to different sizes.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,651 Member
    Options
    ccrdragon wrote: »
    Almost nothing is more accurately measured as volume.

Things that are really messy to weigh in a container can be measured negatively, i.e. you put the whole jar of honey on the scale - it weighs 650 grams, - you pour out what you want and weigh it again, now it weighs 510 grams, you have 140 grams in your dish. I never use spoons or cups for calorie logging.

And if you don't like doing math, you can put the container of honey on the scale and tare the weight, pour out what you want and then put the container back on the scale - the negative number on the scale is the number of grams that you poured out. Works for anything that comes in a container that will fit on the scale - I do this for oils, honey, left-overs, etc.

This!

Also I would definitely weigh cereal. I once did the cup vs grams thing for oatmeal and, yeah, the grams were nothing like the cup. :)

AND weigh your nut butters, people! I don't know about you but my 2 tablespoons are nothing like label's.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    If grams are available on the package, the grams are right, the volume is not (or at least it is iffy).

The popcorn brand i use has popped weight and cups. Again I use weight.
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    VegjoyP wrote: »
    If it was cereal I would go by cup size. For liquid I also use teaspoon/ tablespoon/ cup. Everything else weight. Popcorn by kernel before popping. I weigh powders, vegetables, Fruit, nuts. For nut butter it may depend on kind. With avocado usually tablespoon.

Weight would far more accurate.

Well I do not eat cereal anyway but yes I think my post wasn't really explaining my usual because I do weigh about everything, except liquids.