First week of high cholesterol diet and I'm depressed... Seeking advice

Options
13»

Replies

• sbrno1985
    sbrno1985 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    sbrno1985 wrote: »
    What exactly do you mean by "lacking any protein source"? Not even plant proteins?
    Protein is an important nutrient, so I don't understand how a doctor would recommend a diet where most meals lack protein.

So it goes like this. Her meal plan has 5 food groups.

Group 1 is fiber/healthy carbs...whole wheat toast (x2), multigrain bread, 5 oz whole wheat pasta, 1 boiled potato, 2 oz oatmeal, 5 oz corn, or 5 oz cooked legumes.

Group 2 is fruits. Group 3 is low fat/fat free yogurt, ricotta or cottage. Group 4 are whole protein sources like eggs, skinless chicken, etc. Group 5 is veggies.

For me she crossed out groups 2 and 3 completely.

BREAKFAST: 1 item from group 1, multivitamin

LUNCH: 1 item each from groups 1 and 5, multi vitamin, omega 3 plus.

DINNER: 1 item each from groups 1, 4, and 5. Omega 3 plus.

SNACK: 2 calcium magnesium tabs.

She also told me to have 1 protein smoothie a day with plant powder not whey. And she wanted me to buy her own expensive powder from her Amway business.

Just to clarify, groups 1 and 5 do have protein-containing foods. There is protein in foods like bread, pasta, corn, legumes, and vegetables. Not all of these are high protein foods and I think this diet sounds really sketchy, but you can get protein from plants too.

Definitely agree with you there. But does that work for someone who wants to build.muscle? That was my goal before covid shut the gyms down and thats still the goal im trying to get back to. I mean the protein found in those plant sources are like what 5-10g at most?

Lean chicken breast is like 20-22g. But is eating animal sourced protein, such as this, everyday safe? I don't do fish, fish and seafood are not for everyone and im one of those people who just dont like it. So when it comes to high protein, i guess im stuck with either lean chicken or turkey and of course protein shakes.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    edited November 2020
    Options
    What exactly do you mean by "lacking any protein source"? Not even plant proteins?
    Protein is an important nutrient, so I don't understand how a doctor would recommend a diet where most meals lack protein.

So it goes like this. Her meal plan has 5 food groups.

Group 1 is fiber/healthy carbs...whole wheat toast (x2), multigrain bread, 5 oz whole wheat pasta, 1 boiled potato, 2 oz oatmeal, 5 oz corn, or 5 oz cooked legumes.

Group 2 is fruits. Group 3 is low fat/fat free yogurt, ricotta or cottage. Group 4 are whole protein sources like eggs, skinless chicken, etc. Group 5 is veggies.

For me she crossed out groups 2 and 3 completely.

BREAKFAST: 1 item from group 1, multivitamin

LUNCH: 1 item each from groups 1 and 5, multi vitamin, omega 3 plus.

DINNER: 1 item each from groups 1, 4, and 5. Omega 3 plus.

SNACK: 2 calcium magnesium tabs.

She also told me to have 1 protein smoothie a day with plant powder not whey. And she wanted me to buy her own expensive powder from her Amway business.

Just to clarify, groups 1 and 5 do have protein-containing foods. There is protein in foods like bread, pasta, corn, legumes, and vegetables. Not all of these are high protein foods and I think this diet sounds really sketchy, but you can get protein from plants too.

Definitely agree with you there. But does that work for someone who wants to build.muscle? That was my goal before covid shut the gyms down and thats still the goal im trying to get back to. I mean the protein found in those plant sources are like what 5-10g at most?

Lean chicken breast is like 20-22g. But is eating animal sourced protein, such as this, everyday safe? I don't do fish, fish and seafood are not for everyone and im one of those people who just dont like it. So when it comes to high protein, i guess im stuck with either lean chicken or turkey and of course protein shakes.

You can certainly gain muscle with plants but you will need higher amounts. Plants have lower levels of L-Luecine which is a primary driver of muscle protein synthesis. And even then, not all plant based proteins are created equal.

And yes, its completely healthy to eat meats daily. All the associations of "poor" health markers are associated with processed meats and fatty cuts of meat. I'll find the most recent data, but there is some data that suggest a combination of meats with fruits and vegetables provides a more favorable outcome than plant based foods only.

Also, one of the primary functions for muscle growth will be a good lifting program. So if you don't have a structured program, it would be worth prioritizing that.

Dr. Layne Norton has a good video and a link to the study. Unfortunately, there are a lot of variables.

https://youtu.be/g-upzvuwAng
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Wheat grass is good for helping destroy plaques and lower cholesterol and this diet seems questionable
  • Peachesanddinosaur
    Options
    Whole food plant based diet can help. Get a nutritionist; doctors have very little training in nutrition.