I get very hungry and cranky when I diet.

Options
Hi!
I have dieted successfully in the past but in the last couple of years I have struggled. My understanding of nutrition is very good but here's my problem - each time I start eating at a deficit, even not a huge one, I'm averaging 1350 calories (net) and I'm really short, I get hungry, depressed and cranky. I can't make it through the day. I have small children now, one of them is home half of the week due to school blended mode, and I also have a business that I run that always stresses me out. And having the kids and being home means all the chores are now tripled. My spouse is the bread winner and their job is demanding. Everything falls on me. I'm not complaining, I have accepted it, but I literally feel like I have to eat so that I have actual tangible energy in my body to do all the things. So I eat, and then I gain. Slowly but surely. I try to pay attention to buying healthy foods and preparing them but with kids, again, there's more stuff that I should not be eating just calling out to me. It's nothing outrageous but just things that are too easy to grab quickly.
Lastly, our diet is mostly vegetarian because my spouse is vegetarian and I just never learned how to cook meat and I don't really want to do that anyway, I'm a little grossed out by buying raw meat to cook at home.

So my question is how can I figure out a path for myself to reduce my intake but still make it through the day and not spiral down into depression and irritability?

Thanks for listening!! <3

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,072 Member
    Options
    How is your nutrition? Are you getting enough protein and healthy fats when you stick to the 1350-ish? (I'm going to assume that your micronutrients are in OK-ish shape if you're eating a lot of veggies, but that could be a factor, too. I'm vegetarian, and it's the protein/fats that are more challenging for me personally.)

Have you experimented with different approaches to dieting, to see if that makes a difference, like changing timing of eating (including which meals are largest, snacks or no, etc.)? Are you consistently using a single strategy like (just an example) low carb to reach a calorie deficit, or have you tried variations?

It sounds like you have a lot going on in your life. Keep in mind that hunger/irritability can be stress effects, and that stress is cumulative, both physical and psychological. If there are any other parts of your life you can change to reduce stress (sleep; stress-management practices like prayer or meditation or bubblebaths or whatever; etc.).

Hoping you can find a strategy that works!
  • lavendy17
    lavendy17 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much!
    A lot of good ideas!
    Probably changing the time would work for me since I can plan to feed myself before trying to take care of others for example.
    Meditation could help me too. I've been meaning to try it because I have too much on my mind.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Lavendy17,
    I understand where you are! I struggle with that also. You could benefit greatly by reading some of the articles in the BLOG. The articles are so helpful. I could write so much I have learned and tried from those articles.

I would suggest you look there and read what applies specifically to you.

Some I suggest there are:
    1. Handling Overeating
    2. 10 Signs You Are Not Eating Enough
    3. 13 Ways to Stop Overeating On Weekends
    4. 12 Ways to Stop Stress Eating

There is another one, something like: "Why Am I So Hungry All the Time?" that I could not find. I think it is there somewhere.
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I’d up your fats like avacado and olives, and perhaps a high volume meal will keep you full all day!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    Coffee.
  • AwesomeSquirrel
    AwesomeSquirrel Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Just to check, how aggressive is your deficit? It may be preferable for you to lose at a slower rate and eat slightly more. If you aim to lose 1/2 per week instead of 1 your allotment increase by 250 calories. For me I know the difference between 1350 and 1600 is remarkable.
  • elizabethherberger
    Options
    I have been a vegetarian for 19 years and my calorie goal right now is 1370 so I understand the challenges you’re facing. When I started my weight loss journey last December I had similar issues to what you described. What I have found to be important to stave off the hunger is finding meals that are satiating. For example, one go-to breakfast for me these days is an english muffin topped with a half a guacamole pack from Costco, and a scrambled egg (cooked with olive oil spray) on top. It is 247 calories and keeps me full until lunch. Finding meals that combine carbs and protein are typically the most satiating because the carbs will give you short term fuel and the protein gives you long term fuel. I have also started eating protein pasta (made from lentils and chickpeas) in place of regular pasta, which is more filling. I am not sure if you supplement with fake meats, but the most filling for me is Field Roast sausages. You can cut them up and put them in a variety of dishes. I am happy to share more ideas if you are interested. I hope you find what works for you!