Newbie Changing my Life for Good

Options
Hi All,

Just thought I would introduce myself

I have been using MFP for a few months now after my Girlfriend recommended it to me, along with a bunch of other Fitness Apps and gadgets such as workout trackers and App enables HRM's (The Withings collection of Gadgets are highly recommended) I was actually quite shocked at how easily I could take in well over 3000-5000 calories a day without even thinking. Crisp sandwiches here and there, half a pack of biscuits, nuts, butter, 2000 calorie meals when eating out, plus dessert!!! It really opened my eyes O.O

A few weeks ago I had an overnight change of mindset, I had been putting off changing my lifestyle for months, using the classic "I'll Start Monday" lines and always finding an excuse to carry on as normal. Well, that "Monday" finally came in the form of Monday 5th August 2013

A few days before the "Monday" was my '1 Year to go' day until the day I get married (26th July 2014) and something just clicked inside my head, I need to get into shape and lose a few inches. At least to get me out of the Obese BMI Category (Starting BMI was 32)

I was up early one morning and the first thing that came on the TV was a commercial for the popular 'Insanity' workout plan. I already knew a friend of mine that had done this so following a bit of a chat on how he had been getting on with it, I borrowed his copy and gave it ago. The day 1 fit test seriously opened my eyes as to how unfit I had become over the years. My results were OK and mostly on par with the 'Fit' people on the DVD, I used to be quite athletic at school, but my god was I struggling to breathe afterwards, uncomfortable to say the least. So following this I got my own copy and for the last time said to myself, "I'll Start Monday"

Since then (only been less than 3 weeks) I have not just thrown Insanity into my life, I have also changed my habits. No more smoking, no more drinking during the week, if I go out anywhere for social events I opt for spirits with low cal mixers or diet soft drinks/water rather than beer and fat coke, plus a serious cut back on quantity. No more fast food, I now take healthy lunches and snacks with me or eat at better places. I have started to eat breakfast again. I never thought breakfast was as important as people say it is, but they were absolutely right and now I look forward to breakfast every morning. I also eat more regularly (but much smaller portions) throughout the day. My fridge has also never looked so colourful :) The car doesn't move as far, the bike and trainers are getting more use and even if I have nowhere to go, I still go for an evening stroll where possible

Even just after a couple of weeks, I feel like I have so more energy, my metabolism has increased (I feel like I need my food rather than just eating for the sake of it) my Insanity workouts haven't got easier, but I can push harder and I already take less time to recover and catch my breath. I have recently recalculated my BMI and the latest result was 29.9. Which is just inside the Overweight category

Although I don't think I will reach the normal category (as I am quite broad and bulky) I am striving to get as close as I can to it. I would need to get right down to 81kg (178.6lbs). The last time I remember being 81kg I was 15 years old!! I think 90kg (198lbs) would be a good starting target

At my heaviest I was around 103kg (227lbs) just over a month ago

I am currently,

Height - 180cm (5ft 11in)
Weight - 97kg (214lbs)
Age - 29
BMI - 29.9

I haven't taken body measurements yet but after reading a few other topics I think this will be good for me, tape measurements seem to encourage progress better than scales in a lot of cases

I will be posting some before and after pictures once I finish my Insanity training in around 6-8 weeks. I have just had to take an impromptu recovery week due to a slight injury to my leg, but I will be picking up where I left off this Saturday and Monday is my second fit test so I am hoping to see and feel an improvement to my scores

I've also started visiting our local Spa for swimming, sauna, steam rooms and jacuzzi to aid in my body's well being and recovery during insanity, I'll no doubt use the Gym facilities in between too to fill in any gaps. Also Squash and football are now in the mix. Generally just getting up and about and being more active in general

Well this has been a short introduction to the change in my life, if anyone reading this is in a similar position then I hope what I have written has given you some extra encouragement to make the change. You might not immediately lose weight or notice physical appearance changes in the first few weeks. But you will definitely start feeling better in just a few days. The weight loss, cm/inch loss and body changes will follow in the weeks to come

You have to make the change, feel the difference then trust yourself that you can continue the change until it stops becoming a 'change' and becomes the new normal. Once I felt the change I was automatically motivated to keep going. I still have the occasional treat such as a slightly more indulgent dinner or a sugar in my coffee. But my mind is already telling me that following this, I just have to work an extra bit harder the next time I work out or I go the long way round on my evening walk. Just to balance everything out and remove the feeling of guilt

Its always good to keep the treats in your life, but minimise them as much as you can, you will enjoy them and look forward to them more, plus your new diet and exercise routine will also become less chore-like. You will push more and feel more deserving of your rewards

Thanks for reading this introduction, I know it wasn't your average 'Hi, my name is ...' but hopefully it will help and encourage others to change like I have done

Looking forward to seeing and sharing my Before/After pictures in a few months time, watch this space :)