Clean Eating, is Organic Necessary?

Options
Hi everyone! I know the general rules about clean eating, not eating processed/packaged foods and what not, staying away from high fructose corn syrup etc etc. But I was wondering if you need to buy Organic fruits and vegetables, and just how big of a difference it makes in terms of healthy eating and weight loss.

Any help would be appreciated please. Thanks!

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    In the context of your question, no, it doesn't matter. I see a storm brewing.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    In terms of healthy eating and weight loss, you do not need to buy organic or follow the clean eating path.

And this thread may not end well.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Organic stuff has no pesticides. It doesn't change their nutrition value.
  • NightSoldier
    Options
    Haha thanks everyone! I wouldn't mind buying organic but i was just making sure.

I didn't know this would be such a controversial topic, all the "storm brewing" stuff and everything.
    What have i done.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    in for the inevitable flame wars....

but some light humour for now:

You have to watch the whole thing to get to the point.... (long set up...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOu9YbMw2qk
  • I try to buy all of my fruit, vegetables, eggs and milk organically, but I don't eat 100% clean :) It's just so restrictive. 80% clean 20% IIFYM for me!

Edit: I don't buy organically because of clean eating, I do it for other reasons lol.
  • hjt557
    hjt557 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Contrary to belief, organic food is treated with pesticides, just organically made pesticides which are often not as rigorously tested as conventional pesticides. Probably a lot of people that 'eat clean' will buy into the organic food myth, but there is no nutritional difference between organic and non-organic. I would say no, don't buy organic but look into the issue if it really interests you.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Not necessarily. Most large organic farms run by the big agra companies use organic pesticides and so does many of the smaller independent farms, but yeah, some don't.
  • NightSoldier
    Options
    thank you! I feel like it was a pretty dumb question to ask but I'm glad people are answering.
  • If you are worried about pesticides on conventional produce, you can always do a vinegar soak to remove some of the surface pollutants. I don't buy organic generally because I'm on a tighter budget, but I do like to soak my produce. I usually do 3 parts water to 1 part white vinegar for 15-20 minutes. Then I rinse the produce well with water. Works for me!
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Not a dumb question at all. I'm surrounded by small independent farmers that grow vegetables and most aren't organic because of the cost associated with all the standards they need to adhere to. What they do have though are values that I like to support and also grow a variety of heirloom's that most will never have the pleasure of eating and enjoying. I suggest your nearest garden market and get to know a few farmers.....
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I would just do as much research as you can. I don't know the science behind everything, but I have to think there is a reason why chronic disease and illness run rampant in this country, even in people who don't eat 'junk'. with so many 'manufactured' foods and additives and lab created chemicals that have been introduced to our bodies in the last 70 years or so, it just doesn't seem possible that there isn't some kind of connection.
    Be sure that when you do research, you know the source. A lot of corporations have 'research' out there that is very skewed and misleading. As do the 'organic' sites, I would imagine. read whats out there and weight your options. There is always the dirty dozen list and the clean fifteen when it comes to what is generally recommended to buy organic and what you can get away with buying conventional.
  • NightSoldier
    Options
    Thank you, thanks for the advice/ tips. I'll definitely look into it more. I was just wondering if it was completely necessary since I would have to change where I shop for my food aha. I just want to make sure that I'm doing things right, and to the best of my abilities.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily. Most large organic farms run by the big agra companies use organic pesticides and so does many of the smaller independent farms, but yeah, some don't.

If they didn't use any pesticide at all, then their yield would be much smaller, making the price even higher.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Contrary to belief, organic food is treated with pesticides, just organically made pesticides which are often not as rigorously tested as conventional pesticides. Probably a lot of people that 'eat clean' will buy into the organic food myth, but there is no nutritional difference between organic and non-organic. I would say no, don't buy organic but look into the issue if it really interests you.

^^ Agreed. Wash your produce before consuming. That's been the "rule" my whole life. :smokin:
  • gthalheimer
    gthalheimer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If you can afford organic, then great. It certainly can't hurt. However, buying all organic--meat, veggies/fruit, dairy--can get costly. Eating real food, whether organic or not, is far healthier than eating processed/prepackaged foods that are full of preservatives. Stick to real food and and stay away form white flour/grains and processed/packaged foods. That's a huge step toward health.