Things you hate about having a mental illness

Options
Trying to follow a routine

Feeling guilt or anxious when you start to feel excited or too much happiness because everyone will start asking if you are taking your meds.

Increased risk of suicide

Trouble keeping friends and employment

Giving things away then realising you still want them

Replies

• cyaneverfat
    cyaneverfat Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Being triggered by sad ads or music and nearly crying everytime
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    OP--if these things seem overwhelming then contact your counselor. Don't let anything get blown out of proportion. Just try to get through a day at a time. As for your last item on your list, I give things away and have second thoughts.
  • JAC581
    JAC581 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I waited until I was in a good place mentally to begin my weight loss journey. When things are bad, just crawling out of bed can seem like a daunting task. I can't even imagine trying to create new eating and exercise habits when I'm in a bad place.

If you are struggling, please see a doctor/therapist. Mine has saved my life a few times and having him, along with a small support system in place and the right medications, has really made a huge impact on my mental health. I hope things get better for you! Please be gentle with yourself.
  • Pittgirl3
    Pittgirl3 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I love this!
    Some days I’m so down and mentally exhausted that I can’t work out, even though I know it helps me. The fatigue is unbearable. I feel guilty for being tired all the time and not getting things done.

Side note: thank you for posting about mental health. I sometimes feel so disconnected from othe people on MfP because it seems like they don’t have these same barriers when losing weight and becoming healthy. Thank you for helping me feel like I’m not alone in this :)
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Pittgirl3 wrote: »
    I love this!
    Some days I’m so down and mentally exhausted that I can’t work out, even though I know it helps me. The fatigue is unbearable. I feel guilty for being tired all the time and not getting things done.

Side note: thank you for posting about mental health. I sometimes feel so disconnected from othe people on MfP because it seems like they don’t have these same barriers when losing weight and becoming healthy. Thank you for helping me feel like I’m not alone in this :)

Oh not alone at all, in this battle. Especially this year of all years. Reading through posts, it feels like more people than usual are over-burdened in their lives. When we can lean on and draw from one another, it helps to lessen the hopelessness somewhat. Hang in there; life IS good.
  • rfuchs
    rfuchs Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    My husband not being able to understand how it truly permeates everything I do, think, and say.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    Pittgirl3 wrote: »
    I love this!

I just bumped a long thread we had titled "depression and weight loss" but encompassing mental health in general. You are certainly not alone.

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10058170/depression-and-weight-loss/p1
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    One good thing about the coronavirus, in my state and surrounding states anyway, is that access to mental health care via tele-health has been greatly expanded. I was able to start getting treatment very quickly.