Calories of bread crust

Options
I only eat the bread crust, so I took many slices of bread but ate just the crust, will this habit sabotage my weight loss plan?

Replies

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    I totally applaud everyone that eats breadcrust! Because it's delicious if it's proper crust.

However the crust has the same calories as the rest of the bread. Thus weight it and use the calories for this bread. Oh, and please don't throw out the bread. Poor bread :(
  • Meihuii
    Meihuii Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! No worries the rest of the bread is eaten by fam since i cut out the crust!
  • KickassAmazon76
    KickassAmazon76 Posts: 4,562 Member
    Options
    I'm glad others responded nicely. My first instinct was to tell you that you were doomed... 😊😂

Clearly you're not... But still... Kinda hard to resist a slight tease!
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    @Meihuii I'm curious, why only the crust. Why not throw a couple pieces of bread under the broiler or in the toaster and eat the whole slice and save other slices for the family, intact. It's kind of like taking a bite out of every chocolate in the box and giving it to the family for a present. You have to tear those crusts off with your fingers. There's no way I'm coming behind someone and eating only the crumbs that are left over. Give me the whole slice or give me nothing.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    @Meihuii I'm curious, why only the crust. Why not throw a couple pieces of bread under the broiler or in the toaster and eat the whole slice and save other slices for the family, intact. It's kind of like taking a bite out of every chocolate in the box and giving it to the family for a present. You have to tear those crusts off with your fingers. There's no way I'm coming behind someone and eating only the crumbs that are left over. Give me the whole slice or give me nothing.

Wait so you DONT want me to sample every chocolate in the box first??? 😜
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    @Dogmom1978 <3

You know what I would do with that dough ball of bread? I would roll it up in a ball and let it bounce out the door. I would let it roll on down the mountain and then go find it and stomp on it.

Dogmom, it reminds me of someone who came over to our house for breakfast. Maw made center cut pork chops, grits, eggs, sourdough biscuits, the works. This person ate all of the centers out of the pork chops and threw the rest on the plate for us. That was the last time they were ever invited over for anything. It's respect to take your portion and leave the rest for the dear loved ones.

Diet sabotage would be the least of the worries here. I would refrain but the temptation would be great to bounce the dough ball off of someone's head a few times.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,398 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    Speculatively, I'd guess that the crust has *slightly more* calories, gram for gram, than the middle part of the bread.

Why? Less airy, more dehydrated (browned) so less water in the weight.

Not enough to make a practical difference though: I'd still just weigh the portion eaten, and log it as that amount of bread. Plenty close enough. 😉

I actually wonder if the crust might have less calories as a bit might get burned when baking the bread. At least at a proper bakery. But that aside, provided there are no seeds or nuts on the outside of the bread it should be pretty much the same. Oh, and fresh baked bread with a proper crust IS heaven. The end pieces are always mine!
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    A proper bakery has bread with a crispy crust, not burned :tongue: I'm on the same page as AnnPT77, I'd say there's a bit less moisture, so a bit more calories for the same weight.
    I log a few extra grams when I eat a bread crust, for that reason. Especially our homemade bread, which has a much thicker and crispier crust.
  • Lietchi
    Lietchi Posts: 6,122 Member
    Options
    Honestly though... 2 calories? 5 calories? 10 calories?

You're never going to get that precise with your logging. If you obsess that heavily with your logging, it's going to be unmanageable over the long term. If in doubt, pick the higher cals and move on.

I applaud you for your dedication but I think your focus may be a bit misdirected.

Is that directed at me? My focus is fine, logging some extra calories for crusts doesn't require extra effort and doesn't detract in any way from anything else I do for weight loss.
  • lizzy_yak
    lizzy_yak Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    (Hopefully) a useful tip: if you don't like bread crusts, grate them up and dry them, it's a really cheap way to get breadcrumbs.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    lizzy_yak wrote: »
    (Hopefully) a useful tip: if you don't like bread crusts, grate them up and dry them, it's a really cheap way to get breadcrumbs.

Except she only likes the crusts, lol!
  • lizzy_yak
    lizzy_yak Posts: 9 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Except she only likes the crusts, lol!

Oh, my bad! I guess I read this entire thread completely backwards. I guess the breadcrumbs would still work on the innards haha
  • B_Plus_Effort
    B_Plus_Effort Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Depends, what is your weight loss plan?
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,869 Member
    Options
    Honestly though... 2 calories? 5 calories? 10 calories?

You're never going to get that precise with your logging. If you obsess that heavily with your logging, it's going to be unmanageable over the long term. If in doubt, pick the higher cals and move on.

I applaud you for your dedication but I think your focus may be a bit misdirected.

I have concerns with your dismissing contributions to one's tracking. The OP stated many slices of bread. How many is many? Vocabulary wise, many is not two. It is defined as "being one of a large but indefinite number". So if the OP is being accurate in their statement, I would state that eating a "large number" of bread crust should be tracked, while if it were the crust off one slice I would not worry. And I agree with other posters that the easiest solution is to track them by weight.