Lactose Intolerance

Options
I've had stomach problems for years but never really looked into it. I started to figure it was the food I was eating so I started by cutting out a lot of dairy...and my stomach started to feel better. Now I don't know if I am actually lactose intolerant but now when I eat dairy foods I get really bad stomach pain so I am trying to avoid it. I love almond milk, so that was an ok switch. I was wondering though if anyone knew of alternatives to other dairy products like yogurt, cheeses, cottage cheese, etc? Thank you

Replies

• shawngm98
    shawngm98 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've found some non-dairy yogurt at Whole Foods & Sprouts, I add a few tbs of protein powder because they usually don't have very much at all.
    Occassionally I'll purchase Daiya cheese for specific recipes or non-dairy ice cream at Kroger's.
    Honestly, once I stopped eating it improved my digestion big time & I stopped missing/craving it
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I've found some non-dairy yogurt at Whole Foods & Sprouts, I add a few tbs of protein powder because they usually don't have very much at all.
    Occassionally I'll purchase Daiya cheese for specific recipes or non-dairy ice cream at Kroger's.
    Honestly, once I stopped eating it improved my digestion big time & I stopped missing/craving it
  • Minnie2361
    Minnie2361 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    lactose intolerance has to do with the bodies inability to break down a certain sugar in the milk.
    You can now buy lactose free milk which means they have processed the milk by one more step to break down the sugar.
  • sweepgurl101
    Options
    Don't eat it lol! That doesn't go over to well - I love my cheese - I eat alot of soy based products now - Most of the cheese and yogurts I get are soy based products and are so delish :D
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    You can do veggie cheese and soy milk. I think they even make soy yogurt and ice cream. There are lots of non-dairy creamers, whether you want it to be soy or corns syrup solids, or something else. Since yogurt has cultures, you may be able to tolerate it in small amounts. Some cottage cheese also has live active cultures. Some people use nutritional yeast as a flavoring instead of cheese, and it gives you some b vitamins and protein.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I've had stomach problems for years but never really looked into it. I started to figure it was the food I was eating so I started by cutting out a lot of dairy...and my stomach started to feel better. Now I don't know if I am actually lactose intolerant but now when I eat dairy foods I get really bad stomach pain so I am trying to avoid it. I love almond milk, so that was an ok switch. I was wondering though if anyone knew of alternatives to other dairy products like yogurt, cheeses, cottage cheese, etc? Thank you

you can get lactose free milk and continue to enjoy milk. it's no different than regular milk, only slightly sweeter.

you can get lactase enzyme pills to take whenever you eat dairy-based products so that you don't get LI symptoms.

there's really no reason to seek out awful second rate substitutions for the foods you love. i find that i have a certain tolerance for dairy before the LI kicks in, so small amounts of yogurt and milk chocolate don't affect me.
  • morethanthis0
    morethanthis0 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys so much for the info! I'm really tired of tummy aches haha