Losing weight but gaining fat

Options
For I while, I tried to eat well and exercise without looking at the scale because I was sure I would get discouraged and give up if I looked at the numbers. I know you're supposed to check in often when trying to lose weight, but I made the mistake of not doing so. I lose weight very slowly, but I was pleasantly surprised when I checked this morning for the first time in months to find out that I was 101lbs (I was last at around 104-105). However, when I checked other measurements, I wasn't so excited. It appeared that I has lost weight, but my waist, hip, and neck measurements were exactly the same, which likely means that my fat percentage went up despite my attempts at building muscle. At this point, I'm not sure how to "trim off the extra fat" without doing something more drastic, which unfortunately I don't have the time for, and I don't want to try anything unhealthy.

Replies

• springlering62
    springlering62 Posts: 7,520 Member
    Options
    As I lost weight, it seemed like my body was like a water balloon. I’d be big in one spot and smaller in another and them a few days later everything had shifted around.

You have lost a fair amount for someone so tiny. It may simply be perspective. I’m not sure how to explain this well, but as my hips and thighs get smaller, it makes my belly look huge by comparison. Yet, clothes fit looser around my waist, too, so I know my belly isn’t getting bigger- it just looks like it.

Weight loss can mess with your mind.

If the scale shows the weight dropping, give it a while to settle.

But also consider doing some recomp. It has been amazing for me, and others sing the praises of recomp, too. It doesn’t have to be a massive time investment.