Subclinical hypothyroidism - does anyone have slightly raised TSH levels

Hi,

Wondering if anyone else has mild hypothyroidism that is not suppose to show symptoms or effect weight loss but thinks or knows it is? Inquiring as should I ask for medication?

I log everything I eat, I weigh it all. I only eat 1200 cals a day and I work out 5 times a week jogging / walking and weights and this month I have not even lost .01kg like nothing at all . In fact my weight is going up and down a few points nothing major but not less than what I started month and as and right now its higher!

It really is like treading water and demoralising. The doctor says a TSH level of 5.07 is not enough to really need medication or effect weight loss or show symptoms but I disagree!

Wonder if anyone has experienced anything similar?

Going to throw away these poxy scales as make me feel so down, even though my fitness level is up and great. I have lost since starting on 1st sept. I was just exactly 80kg and now 72kg (was 72.2kg start of Nov and now 72.9kg!)

I do not eat any major carbs, so no rice, no bread, no potatoes, no pasta. I also IF although not strictly but on the whole from 10-6pm .

Not sure what else I can do anymore. My first goal is to simply get back in my BMI range to 67kg , I am not even trying to look past that yet!

I know weight loss in late 40's can be hard but this is a joke right now, bar not eating I am not sure what else I can do... :(

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,970 Member
    I'm in a rush right now, so I'll plan to come back later & say more, but here's a quick take on what I think of as key points:

1. Get a second opinion, ideally from an endocrinologist. Many doctors now are thinking the lower end of the normal TSH range is better, and for sure that's where I feel most like myself (a little below normal, even).

2. This is a really good read on the science, from an MFP-er who is a scientist in the hypothyroidism field, hypothyroid himself (surgically removed), and lost weight using MFP:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10767046/hypothyroidism-and-weight-management

As background, I'm severely hypothyroid, treated, have been up & down in the TSH range at times, lost 50+ pounds here 5 years ago at age 59-60, maintained healthy weight for 5 years since. I may come back & type more, once I have a bit more time, but the above is the core for sure.

Hang in there!
  • clutterqueen
    clutterqueen Posts: 1,652 Member
    As I understand it from my doctor, the T3/T4 levels are more important than just the TSH. Did your dr run those? You can have a TSH that is completely normal and your body be unable to convert the T4 to T3, which is what the body actually uses to function.
    I would get a second opinion with your TSH level and definitely have T3/T4 run if not done already. Since my T3 is very low, I take Armour Thyroid ( dessicated pig thyroid) instead of Synthroid ( or levothyroxine).
    Educate yourself before next appt. Knowledge is power!