Is running a good exercise for weight loss?

Options
I heard walking is good for weight loss but I get burned out just walking But I prefer to workout outside or on a treadmill. Need some ideas?

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is all that’s needed for weight loss. Exercise is great for overall health and may help create a calorie deficit, but isn’t necessary. Running and walking are both good forms of exercise. Do what you like.
  • Inspirationalwaterjug
    Options
    Jacq_qui wrote: »
    The best exercise is one you enjoy/don't mind doing. It's a lot harder tostick with it if you don't like it.

Trueeee
    If you're bored try structured run/walk workouts. It might not feel so aimless with goals or a plan.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Exercise is for health. Yes, you can create or add to a deficit with exercise, but exercising to lose weight will usually fail. You can’t out run a bad diet.

If you get burnt out walking not sure why the same wouldn’t happen running though. Try listening to podcasts or music. I read on a tablet on the treadmill with the incline cranked up
  • 3greyhorses
    3greyhorses Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Running is great, but it has never helped me lose weight. I always end up eating more because, hey, I went running!
    I still have to remember to pay attention to the calories or else I may even gain weight :o
  • westrich20940
    westrich20940 Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    The 'best' workout to lose weight is whichever one your will do consistently --- so I'd say if you don't 'like' walking or running, then those are not going to be good choices because you won't stick to it.

I personally have lost 30lbs this year by just walking...and then transitioning into running. I run ~6miles 4x/week. So...yeah it can help you lose weight. That was in conjunction with a calorie deficit as well - which is all you need to lose weight.

I was always a runner when I was younger, just got out of it the past few years - and for me...I love it. So I know I'll do it. I will echo what the person above me said in that you'll notice the hunger though if you start running. I am at a level where I'm not actively trying to lose a significant amount of weight (if I lose a few lbs...that's fine) --- so if I have a good long run -- I'm definitely eating a whole extra 500-600 cal meal on that day.
  • SharpWellbeing
    SharpWellbeing Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Agree with all the above, whatever you will do and preferably enjoy. For some it's weights, some it's running or swimming.

My go to with anyone I work with would always be increasing walking not as exercise but in general day to day movement, i.e. park a bit further away, take the steps etc etc (all the cliche stuff). NEAT (Non-exercise activity thermogenesis) can have a huge impact on a weight loss journey. I'd generally recommend exercise on top of that but that would more be for health than weight loss (of course it helps).

Definitely agree with the majority though, do what you enjoy :)