Why do I do this to myself

Options
n_green_l
n_green_l Posts: 74 Member
edited November 2020 in Motivation and Support
I have 8lb to go, and I walked 12000 steps today. I've been good this week. And what do I do? Eat half a circle of camembert when I get in with crackers and now feel absolutely sick. I have 400 calories left for today and me and my husband are supposed to have some wine and a take away for a date night . And now I feel rubbish and crap. I lost 3lb this week and now I know I'm gonna put it back on because I'm a pig. Its only 3pm.

Feel so bad about myself, and wondering whether to go and walk another 10000 steps to burn what I've eaten off.

Why do I eat normally and then binge out of nowhere? I'm not even interesting, to lose 0.5lb a week I have 1560 cals so I have no excuse for this. How do I stop this?

Starting to wonder if I have a real problem with bingeing.

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    It’s probably happening because your deficit is too high for the amount you have to lose.

If you only have 8 lbs to lose, a reasonable goal is .5 a week. If you lost 3 lbs this week with only 8 total left, that rate of loss is WAY too high and makes me think your deficit is much much higher than it should be. How many calories are you eating per day? What is your rate of loss set to in MFP? What is your daily deficit?
  • n_green_l
    Options
    I'm eating 1560 a day which I put myself on sedentary as working from home. I've upped my activity though so walking 10-20k steps a day and some home workouts. I try to do 1560.

My daily deficit is 500 cals as put 0.5lb loss a week
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Something isn’t right with your tracking if you are losing 3 lbs a week though with only 8 lbs left to lose. Your activity level could be off, you could be eating less than your claiming, you could be underestimating exercise calories etc.

Unless you had a cheat day/meal recently and the 3 lbs was water weight, I would double check the tracking, activity level etc
  • jrh_this_better_work
    Options
    That surely is discouraging. To stop it, you need to get to the root of WHY. And while you're discovering it, try to manage each micro decision.

I don't have an issue with binging in general, so I can't totally relate. But I have had moments of what another weight loss program calls Storm Eating. You come in at the end of the day and just want to eat ALL THE FOOD. The hope is to learn how to stop in the middle of a storm; how to realize you're in that mode and how to pull out of it. I don't have the answers yet, but I'm working on it.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    If you're doing 10K steps minimum per day, that's ~400 more calories burned. If you're in a 250 calorie deficit (0.5 lbs/week) on 1560 calories, you're actually in a 650 calorie deficit. If your deficit is 500 calories like you say, it's even more. Then there's days you do 20K steps! If you're not eating to fuel that, your body is basically begging you to feed it properly.

That said, is binging a new behavior for you, or is it something you've occasionally done prior to trying to lose weight? If it's an old behavior, it's important to get to the root of what triggers it, possibly through therapy. If it's new, this could be indicative of disordered eating - you restrict by not eating enough to fuel your activity level, and then you binge because you're so darn hungry. Is the idea of eating, say, 2000 calories to support your activity scary? Do you feel anxious? Is sticking to 1560 calories a very important thing for you to control?

I think just eating more will help, but if you're having strong, negative emotions related to your calorie intake, you might consider taking a break (no calorie counting) or seeking therapy before this spirals into a bigger issue.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,287 Member
    Options
    crackers and cheese in the house is a welcome mat for going over. I agree, that half wheel isn't being a pig.. it is just tasty and with crackers.. we all could do that. Don't call yourself a pig. Just get the tempting stuff out of the house...go on your date. eat.. start again tomorrow. You're almost at goal.. feel proud.
  • n_green_l
    Options
    Thank you all.

Yeah it was about 350 calories of cheese and the crackers came to 200.

I beat myself up so much about what I eat and it's probably not healthy.

Today is a new day and I'm keeping within goal today, and staying at a 0.5lb weight loss goal a week.
  • MaxCat1000
    MaxCat1000 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Just chiming in to say look at your rolling seven day average calories (on my phone, it's under Nutrition - calories, and you need to look at Week, and under Settings make sure it says 7 Days rather than a day of the week so that each day it will average the past seven days.) Some days you will be over in your calories, but averaged over seven days, maybe you're only 100 calories over per day - that is negligible! Your daily exercise probably takes care of that. (and you're not alone with the cheese - today I had a half container of Boursin cheese, but was able to adjust the rest of my day so I wound up only about 100 over - I can live with that.)
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    So you're not eating back your exercise calories. You should. You're hungry because you're eating less than you think on days you succeed and then its too extreme and you're too hungry to resist the next day. You said sedentary on your settings and then go walk 20k steps without adding it in (since you keep trying to stick to the 1560 sedentary goal)...