scared of upping calroie intake!

Options
Hi I as advised to up my calorie intake to 1500-ish from 1200-1300 that I was eating before because im doing way more exercise and have ben feeling really hungry.

Is this to many calories to loose 2-3lb per week?

Replies

• JessiesGirls520
    Options
    I was scared of upping my calorie intake too. Honestly though if you are truly hungry (not bored, emotional, stressed) you should eat more. I know it is hard to feel comfortable listening to your body. I am much happier now that I'm hungry any more. Are you exercising every day? Maybe eat a little less on the days you aren't working out. I have a Fitbit One and it was eye opening for me to see how active I really am even on my rest days and encouraged me to eat more.
  • nomorebamboozles
    nomorebamboozles Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    It's hard to tell if we don't know your current weight and height measurements in order to determine how many calories your body burns naturally. Mind sharing? :)
  • caramammal
    caramammal Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There are a gazillion topics on here about eating back your exercise calories, which i'm assuming you're not doing which is why you've been advised to eat more?

It's difficult to answer without also knowing what you're losing at the moment and how much exercise you are doing. And of course everyones height/weight is different so that makes a difference.

For me, i eat between 1200 on average and lose around 1lb per week that way. I always eat exercise calories back which means i'm usually eating 1500 calories a day but burning 300 off. I have a desk job, at home, so am pretty sedentary when not exercising.

why dont you up your calories just by 100 for 1 week and see if that works?
  • amsipub
    amsipub Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    The healthy way of losing weight is to average 1-2 lbs. a week at the most. If you are losing more than that then you are more apt to gain it back. Slow and steady wins the race. I call myself a turtle and I'm happy with it. I've lost 30 lbs. and I was lucky to lose 2 lbs. in a week and that wasn't often. usually it was .5 to 1 lb. a week that made it possible for me. I've been a size 6 for almost a year now (started at size 16).

If you don't eat enough then you will put yourself into starvation mode and lower your metabolism. I highly doubt that is what you are looking to do. 200-300 calories is pretty easy to incorporate into your diet. It's really not that much food.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    most folk will tell you 1 to 2lbs/ week is enough to be losing - I have upped my cals in the past, each time I go up by 100 and it helps me start losing again. I currently eat at 1400 and I'm petite and haven't much weight to lose - I am lucky to lose 0.5lb/week but thats to be expected cos I'm near goal.

Try upping by 100 for a few weeks and then up them again - you will be able to eat more and still lose :-D
  • JustAnotherGirlSuzanne
    Options
    I just upped mine from 1400 to 1700 and it's amazing just how much better I feel! I have more energy and I don't spend (as much) time panicking about what on earth I'm going to do when I go to my grandma's house and she keeps offering me food. Because now it's okay, I am allowed to eat a little.

At 1400 I was supposed to be losing 1 lb per week, but it was more like 0.5 lb per week. Now I'm eating more and losing at the same rate (0.5). Seems like a win/win to me.
  • Mommybug2
    Mommybug2 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Calorie Deficit is based on NET not Gross Calories. So if you up your intake to 1500 and burn 300 you are still only netting 1200 leaving you with a deficit to lose. If you go this route you probably don't want to eat back your exercise calories. There are plenty of threads around here that give good advice on how to set up MFP to best suit you. Whether you prefer to go TDEE - 20% or let MFP do the calculations. If you select a sedentary lifestyle you should eat back calories - however if you chose active because you workout often you probably don't want to eat back calories. Everyone likes to do things different so you really have to find what works for you. This may mean several months of trial and error. Whatever you decide be sure to give it a few weeks to see if it is working before switching it up.