So proud but so frustrated.

Options
I'm so proud of myself for working out at least 3 days a week at the gym as well as bowling one night a week and walking after dinner on my off day's. BUT I'M NOT LOOSING ANY WEIGHT---SOOOO Frustrated! I know I'm working with light weights and muscle weigh's more than fat ( yada yada yada tell myself this daily). I know I've lost inches-one inch here one inch there-so something is happening-but come on Lord- give me some results I can see. I want to look in the mirror and notice a difference, I want to put on the same shirt I've been wearing for the last 5 years and it not fit and have to give it away.
I feel better, I have energy, I've had to go to the next notch in my belt, so I know something is happening-BUT COME ON SHOW ME SOME LOWER NUMBERS! I've had maybe 4 pops in the last 3 months- when I could do 4-20 oz's a day without thinking...
UGHHHHHHH ...Oh how I would love to give up and go get a large sweet tea and big mac with a large fry from McD's but I can't..my heart tells me NO NO NO NO NO NO NO...Why can't my eyes see the progress? I'm so frustrated....

I'm so thankful for this site I get to read everyone's struggles and successes and mine frustration seem pointless, but it's my battle and with you all on my side to help me fight thru it I WILL WIN-I WILL LOVE ME AGAIN-I WILL CARRY ON AND CRINGE AT THE SIGHT OF MY FELLOW COWORKERS STUFFING ALL THAT FAT INTO THEIR FACES KNOWING THAT I'M STRONG ENOUGH TO CONTINUE EATING MY LUNCH KNOWING THAT I'M DOING THIS FOR ME, FOR YOU, FOR THE FUTURES OF MY FAMILY..

Replies

• ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Well it sounds to me like you ARE seeing results! You have gone to a smaller belt notch, have lost inches, AND have more energy. Seems as though you are off to a wonderful start my friend. As far as the numbers on the scale go, while you are losing fat you are also gaining muscle. This is going to balance out your scale. Unless you are doing major weight training then you will only gain so much muscle before your fat lost out weighs your muscle gained. This is when you will see the difference on the scale. As for now you need to look at the progress you've made! It really looks as though you are on the right track. Keep it up. It WILL pay off!!!
  • bonnykate
    bonnykate Posts: 123
    Options
    I totally know how frustrating it can be to not see results immediately. But what you've said, that you've lost an inch here and there, that you're wearing your belt tighter, are signs of progress, and it means what you're doing is working. Maybe it's time to set some other goals besides seeing the scale change - can you exercise longer than you used to be able to? Do you feel better? Another thing could be to go to the store and get a shirt a size smaller than you've been wearing and go try it on - you might be surprised to find it fits :). Best of luck, regardless, and don't give up - you're on your way!
  • ConnorMangold
    Options
    Just to clarify: A pound weighs a pound. Muscle just takes up less space than fat. When trying to lose weight by cutting calories, you probably won't gain more than a pound or two of muscle because to build muscle you need to eat excess calories. The pound or two you will gain will likely be a response to your body's initial shock of a new routine and having to use those muscles more than your body is accustomed to. If you are losing inches but not pounds then you probably have lost a couple pounds. You may a) be retaining water, b) have gained a couple of pounds of muscle, c)have an inaccurate scale. Try drinking a lot of water. You will go to the bathroom a lot initially as your body flushes out its stored water but if you continue to drink a lot of water, your body will adjust and think it doesn't need to store water since it has a plentiful supply. Plus, water helps your metabolism because metabolic processes rely heavily on water. Also, if your scale is old it may benefit you to buy a newer scale that gives you your bodyfat percentage. Then, you can atleast see if your losing fat but just retaining water and building muscle. But don't get caught up in the numbers on the scale! If you're looking thinner in the mirror, then you are getting results. Your body's just fighting you. You may have to change up your routine or diet. Make sure cardio is your main focus not lifting weights. Make sure you're aware of your liquid calorie intake. Try switching to skim milk. Eat whole wheat, it's better for you. Congrats on losing inches and don't give up!
  • tabathad
    tabathad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    This looks like a well rounded group. Pardon the pun. hehe
    Do you mind if I join your group?
    40 and wanting to be fab!
  • tabathad
    tabathad Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Treasurep, many moons ago, when I lost weight, it took until I was 15 lbs gone before I seen a difference in my clothes. We are all different, but I bet it won't be long before your there.
  • suzyanne
    suzyanne Posts: 50
    Options
    I feel your frustration!! I don't think that anyone I know would guess my weight to be over 180 lbs. I'm a pretty fit person with a very athletic body type and so, although I've tipped the scales upward, I have managed to maintain a decent shape. In a way, this is a good thing because I still look ok, however I'm not happy with myself...and lets face it...if you're not happy with yourself, it's really difficult to be happy at all. I also have my friends and family tell me on a regular basis..."you're not fat, you don't need to lose weight, you're slim"...yeah...looks can be decieving!!! I'm about 25 lbs overweight, and the fact that I don't really look it, made it so much easier to let it go!! All I can suggest is DON'T GIVE UP!! I know it's frustrating when you feel like you're doing everything right and you're not seeing the results you want to see, but it will take time. Everything suggested on here is good information. Drink LOTS of water, to ensure your body isn't storing it. Make sure you're eating enough protien and that your sugar intake is all healthy sugars. Mostly, feel good about yourself, knowing that you have the will power and strength to make a lifestyle change that is better for you and the people you love. Good luck! :wink:
  • treasurep
    treasurep Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It's hard when we look at ourselves everyday in the mirror to stay confident. I'm not giving up, I can't give up I will let so many people down including myself if I do. I love this board. Even after I'm done loosing, I'll still be here posting and encouraging. Can't wait to put up my success pictures! I CAN DO IT, I MAY SLIP BUT I HAVE HUNDRED'S IF NOT THOUSASNDS OF YOU TO HELP LIFT ME UP AND KICK ME IN THE BUTT TO GET GOING AGAIN. So thankful for that..guess i need a reality check every once in a while.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I'm one that it takes FOREVER to see changes in clothes too. I get so frustrated hearing about people losing a clothing size every 10 pounds... last time I lost weight I lost 25 pounds and barely dropped one clothing size. This time I can't tell any difference yet either. I think the one reason I am glad that I *gained* back the weight I lost before is that I know if I quit that will happen again... so the only alternative is just to keep going, even when it seems I'm not getting anywhere. Hang in there!