Homer, Alaska
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    ebd5bjuwrjr3.jpg
  • tmantwo
    tmantwo Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    I just set out two mineral plots. I'm not gonna get anything this year unless I can get permission to hunt on the farmers land around me but I'm planning and soon will be prepping my food plots for next spring.
  • stevehenderson776
    stevehenderson776 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    tmantwo wrote: »
    I just set out two mineral plots. I'm not gonna get anything this year unless I can get permission to hunt on the farmers land around me but I'm planning and soon will be prepping my food plots for next spring.

No crown land nearby you can use?
  • tmantwo
    edited November 2020
    Options

No. We decided we would be independent back there in 1776. 🙂

I could go hunt public land but I’d need to get a license. That costs $. I’ll get permission from the farmer around me or, if I can’t, be ready for next year.

It’s all good though. I have about 30 pounds I’d meet still. A roast, some ground, and lots of steaks.
  • stevehenderson776
    Options

I could go hunt public land but I’d need to get a license. That costs $. I’ll get permission from the farmer around me or, if I can’t, be ready for next year.

Ah. Here it's free to hunt Her Majesty's lands. Just yet another case of the downsides of republicanism I guess. o:)
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options
    These 'Crown Lands', do they validate parking ?
  • tmantwo
    edited November 2020
    Options

Ah. Here it's free to hunt Her Majesty's lands. Just yet another case of the downsides of republicanism I guess. o:)

No. The few dollars it costs goes towards many wildlife management programs. I’m just cheep and would rather improve and hunt my own land instead of hunting my public land that all of us own. There are others who do not have enough land to hunt on and the public land is there for them to use too.

And, when I’m surrounded by 450 acres of corn, soy beans, oats, alfalfa, etc. why would I pay to hunt anywhere else? I just moved in. It will take a season of two to get things set up to attract them over to my property.
  • slimgirljo15
    slimgirljo15 Posts: 269,440 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    The new SuperSoaker 1500 is definitely an upgrade from the 1300 series.

Our neighbor's cat is terrified.

s-l640.jpg

You :D
  • tmantwo
    Options
    This time of the year im playing hide and seek with the deer. Except I hide silently freezing my rear off while they run around making all sorts of noise just far enough away and in the cover of the trees that I can’t tag them.

And by freezing my rear I mean I’m in shorts and a long sleeved tee at sundown. 😂

No snow here yet. But literally I hear a shot from every direction every day.

I gotta improve my land.

I was sitting in the shed tonight with my trusty 30-30 listening to two of them.

qck306vayb5s.jpeg
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Do you hunt bear and moose?
  • tmantwo
    Options
    ^ booooo, unfortunately, no :-(

So, I'm in a 'transition' zone so I can't hunt bear. I can go to other property locally and hunt bear. I really enjoy black bear.

No moose around here.
  • stevehenderson776
    Options
    ReenieHJ wrote: »

Ive taken a black bear. Their meat is kind of greasy. Here in Ontario you hunt moose by lottery with groups of about 10 and I haven't bothered yet. I could probably do it with my 30-06 but ideally I'd want something with just a bit more punch.
  • Miz_Owl
    Miz_Owl Posts: 3,026 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my long guns. I have a bunch of long and short scattered around the house. Some I can’t show because they look scary.

870 express super magnum
    A couple 12 and 20 gauges
    Marlin 30/30

2vkrij5hidz9.jpeg

To give you an idea of the others I have around...

g7kgds12nax5.jpeg

I sure hope no one ever shows up unannounced at you're door .

5jyut5ki8egt.gif

• tmantwo
    edited November 2020
    Options

Ive taken a black bear. Their meat is kind of greasy. Here in Ontario you hunt moose by lottery with groups of about 10 and I haven't bothered yet. I could probably do it with my 30-06 but ideally I'd want something with just a bit more punch.

Edit, I’m retarded. You were talking moose and not black bear. I’m sorry.

Um, how far away are you shooting that black bear and with what round? Or are your black bears the size of our grizzly bears?

Left to right... 5.56, 30-30, 30.06 with the bullet, .458.

shv38ihs7zg6.jpeg
  • stevehenderson776
    Options

Edit, I’m retarded. You were talking moose and not black bear. I’m sorry.

Um, how far away are you shooting that black bear and with what round? Or are your black bears the size of our grizzly bears?

Left to right... 5.56, 30-30, 30.06 with the bullet, .458.

shv38ihs7zg6.jpeg

I took the black bear with my 30-06. It was a bit under 200lbs undressed. Black bears are usually 150-200lbs, but they can get up over 600lbs for the real monsters. I've never been out west, but I assume the grizzlys tend to be quite a lot bigger. I don't think I was more than 60 yards when I lung shot him. I was overlooking a blueberry patch.
    You have to be careful where you take them. If you're hunting them within 25 miles from a garbage dump they're going to taste terrible because they're just a bunch of gross garbage eaters. You have to take them in the deep woods where they eat nothing but berries and fish.
  • tmantwo
    Options
    Yes sir. Absolutely. Round here they are similar size. Maybe get up to 400 lbs.

Dunno if you reload but I may need to seat my 30.06 a bit deeper and crimp it. You can kinda see in the pic. This recipe is the beginning load for the Hornady 150gr SST with H380.