Those that do HIIT, is that your only workout for the day?

Options
I recently started doing the daily hiit (from body rock). I do the new rules of lifting for women (about to finish up week 4) and have been doing the hiit workouts 1-2 days on my off days. Is this enough of a workout or should I be incorporating this during my lifting days? I've never really done HIIT much before, so I'm not sure how to approach it.

Replies

• micheleb15
    micheleb15 Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    When I was doing HIIT, it was the only exercise I did that day. 3 days of lifting and then a 20-30 min HIIT session on Tues and Thurs. Now I am working on endurance, so I stopped the HIIT.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If I'm doing HIIT, it's like 10-15 minutes (I do a high enough intensity that this much will floor me anyway), and I do it at the end of lifting. I take my rest days seriously.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do a HIIT workout on my treadmill. I go about 65 minutes total, half HIIT (walking and crazy springs) and the other half I just run at a moderate pace. I do this 3 days a week, the other 3 days consist of lifting for about 90 minutes.

Then 1 day is my rest day.

It works for me.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I do a HIIT workout on my treadmill (combination of walking and sprinting). For me it's about a 65 minute workout and that is all I do for that day. I do this 3 days a week, the other 3 days consist of lifting.

Just curious, while doint HIIT there is no way I can go above 20 minutes. How the heck to you do it for 65? O_o

@OP, I lift 3 x a week, HIIT for 15-20 3 times a week. I don't do anything else on days I HIIT. Sometimes I will go for a little run on days I lift, depends on how hard the puppy is pulling me to take her running :laugh:
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I do a HIIT workout on my treadmill (combination of walking and sprinting). For me it's about a 65 minute workout and that is all I do for that day. I do this 3 days a week, the other 3 days consist of lifting.

Just curious, while doint HIIT there is no way I can go above 20 minutes. How the heck to you do it for 65? O_o

@OP, I lift 3 x a week, HIIT for 15-20 3 times a week. I don't do anything else on days I HIIT. Sometimes I will go for a little run on days I lift, depends on how hard the puppy is pulling me to take her running :laugh:

I just edited my post to clarify it....hopefully it makes sense now!
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I just edited my post to clarify it....hopefully it makes sense now!

:flowerforyou:

Yes it does!
  • snazzyjazzy21
    snazzyjazzy21 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    I do it first thing in the morning, every morning. I max at 30 min. I also do running, but that's in the afternoon so I've got my energy back by then!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    It was the only strength training I did. Yes. I would HIIT then go dance for an hour or more.

I have started using it as my between day workouts since I started lifting more- I might shift back to more HIIT style workouts though- the lifting takes up so much time- which is why I started HIIT in the first place!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    Yep...I lift three days a week (MWF) with 15-30 minutes of LISS cardio before and after, HIIT on a treadmill or elliptical Tues,Th,Sat (20 seconds on, 40 off for a total of 12 minutes and that's all I do for the whole day)...

...and one day of super-long LISS on Sunday (like a 10K run or 25 mi. bike ride) because I actually enjoy it so much. :)
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Yep...I lift three days a week (MWF) with 15-30 minutes of LISS cardio before and after, HIIT on a treadmill or elliptical Tues,Th,Sat (20 seconds on, 40 off for a total of 12 minutes and that's all I do for the whole day)...

...and one day of super-long LISS on Sunday (like a 10K run or 25 mi. bike ride) because I actually enjoy it so much. :)
    When do you take recovery days?!
  • madtownjeremy
    Options
    I recover plenty. :) Since you only need to take breaks between resistance (WITHOUT skipping cardio, that is), lifting every other day and taking all weekend off works just fine.

I also don't do resistance OR cardio on one of the weekend days every once in a while. Just depends. .

I find that schedule works great for me. If I need more rest I'll take it but for now I get enough.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    True HIIT (I find rarely are people doing it right) was the answer for a lifting style workout for those that only wanted to do cardio but no lifting.

All out anaerobic effort for 6 to 15 "reps" or interval sessions, of about 15-45 seconds, followed by brief recovery to do it again.

The response to this overload on the muscle? Get stronger, if eating enough, get bigger.

Post workout response from body is to burn more fat and have increased metabolism for possibly up to 24 hrs later.

Gee - all those effects are exactly like lifting.

Would you ever lift with the same muscle day after day? Why not?

If you are truly lifting to almost failure, then skip the HIIT using the same muscles. Unless you design your weekly workout right - there is rarely a good place to put a real HIIT workout in the mix without impacting the lifting. Unless you want your lifting to support your HIIT workouts.

If you do it the day before lifting, you will impact your lifting with the same muscles. If you don't believe it, skip the HIIT and see how much you can truly lift with fresh muscles.
    For the day after lifting when muscles are trying to recover, HIIT will just interfere with that recovery, wasting some of your lifting effort.

Exercise if done right tears down the body.
    It's the rest for recovery and repair, if combined with eating enough, that allows it to grow back up and perhaps stronger.

If you love cardio and don't want to lift, then do the HIIT for at least some great response like lifting would give you, but allow repair for it the day after just like lifting.

If you think you can do both, then you are missing out on what your body could truly be doing with proper recovery and exertion. Oh sure you can make some advancement, just not what could be possible.

Shoot, the workout week should be scheduled just like interval workouts, if you hit it really hard one day, you go easy the next day to allow recovery, so you can hit it just as hard the next day again. No one in their right mind would even imagine you could sustain a hard interval level for very long, you would slow down, and if you didn't allow a recovery, you couldn't sustain it very long. Why do the same thing with a workout schedule?
  • orly99
    orly99 Posts: 8
    Options
    I do HIIT 7 days a week 20-30 mins per session. On the weekend I do 4-6k walks and maybe pilates/Zumba if I'm up for it.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    HIIT competes with lifting, do not combine.