Weigh up...

Options
Hi all
I just need some reassurance...
Weight is up almost 3lbs since last Saturday..I'm almost at the end of a 12 week gym challenge and this is the most its creeped up.
I've had really bad DOMS since Monday and yesterday went over my calories by 600. ...I was 131 pounds this morning and feel the anxiety of seeing those numbers...
Other than that I track everything daily
Will it go down?
Thanks for reading x

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,069 Member
    Options
    Hi all
    I just need some reassurance...
    Weight is up almost 3lbs since last Saturday..I'm almost at the end of a 12 week gym challenge and this is the most its creeped up.
    I've had really bad DOMS since Monday and yesterday went over my calories by 600. ...I was 131 pounds this morning and feel the anxiety of seeing those numbers...
    Other than that I track everything daily
    Will it go down?
    Thanks for reading x

Almost certainly it will go down.

More DOMS, possibly more water retention in the muscles. Did the extra 600 calories involve more than usual carbs, salt, fiber, other volume (even if non-crazy amounts, just more than usual)? If so, there would be extra water retention or digestive contents in transit (waste-to-be) from that, currently showing up on the scale. Lots of things can add water weight. **

Have you been losing before this? How fast, on average? If you were 600 calories over your goal calories that have been causing loss, but losing a pound a week, there's no real fat gain implication (100 calories over maintenance = 0.029 pounds of fat - yes, 29/1000 of a pound). If 600 calories over maintenance, 0.17 pounds.

Kind of surprising you haven't seen one of these pseudo-gains, until now. If you're only weighing weekly, maybe that's why. I weigh daily, under consistent conditions, but it's normal for me to be up and down within a several pound range in a week. If weighing just once a week, maybe hit a low day last week, a high one this week, makes things look misleading.

Give it a few days, it'll disappear, I predict. Bodies are weird. 😉

** https://physiqonomics.com/the-weird-and-highly-annoying-world-of-scale-weight-and-fluctuations
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing as Ann said it's just retaining fluids. Also where are you in your cycle. It can cause havoc.
  • welshcob13a
    welshcob13a Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi ..thanks so much for the replies. I weigh daily and did get quite a shock even though I knew it would go up.
    I've been losing on average 0.5 to 1lbs a week. I'm down a pound this morning but this is still around 3 more than what I've been at. I know I'm not that heavy but I do still have more body fat than I'd like.
    The extra 600 calories were definitely more carbs (crumpets) a chocolate biscuit and some extra not weighed out Biscoff (yum) ...my check in day is Wednesday and I really hope it goes back to where it was.
    I'll check out the link too.
    Many thanks again:) x