Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Steel Cut Oatmeal

SwtHedgehogSwtHedgehog Member Posts: 57 Member Member Posts: 57 Member
in Recipes
Our household has recently discovered steel cut oatmeal and like it. Our trouble has been that when we use our microwave bowls, we still end up with spill overs. How have people solved this issue? Photos would greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• sijomialsijomial Member Posts: 17,259 Member Member Posts: 17,259 Member
    Weigh all your ingredients - be completely consistent.
    I put my microwave dish on the scales and add the ingredients (oats, sugar, evaporated milk, milk is my favourite way) so no extra washing up.

Experiment with cooking times and power settings until it's cooked perfectly without spilling over.

And then simply repeat......
  • VeganMick62VeganMick62 Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1 Member
    I used to cook mine in the slow cooker, and then in the morning split it for a couple of days for that week. Cooked well, I use oat milk, no sugar but would have some fruit either fresh or compote.
  • freda78freda78 Member Posts: 224 Member Member Posts: 224 Member
    Our household has recently discovered steel cut oatmeal and like it. Our trouble has been that when we use our microwave bowls, we still end up with spill overs. How have people solved this issue? Photos would greatly be appreciated.

I cook porridge in the microwave and have found the shape of the bowl makes all the difference in the world.

For reference, I make my porridge with 50% skim milk and 50% water. I do not sweeten until it is cooked and use artificial sweeteners.

If I use a bowl shaped bowl then it boils over however if I use a flat bottomed casserole dish it does not. I have a scraper and decant to a breakfast bowl to eat it.

Also, I use a lower power level on my microwave for most of the cooking. I cook for 3-4 minutes on "full power" until it boils and then do 10-12 minutes on what is described as "simmer" on my Panasonic machine. I stir once or twice but doing that, in the casserole dish, it never ever boils over.
    edited November 14
  • lemurcat2lemurcat2 Member Posts: 5,926 Member Member Posts: 5,926 Member
    I've always made it either in a rice cooker or, if away from home without one, on the stove.