Steel Cut Oatmeal

SwtHedgehog
SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
Our household has recently discovered steel cut oatmeal and like it. Our trouble has been that when we use our microwave bowls, we still end up with spill overs. How have people solved this issue? Photos would greatly be appreciated.

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Weigh all your ingredients - be completely consistent.
    I put my microwave dish on the scales and add the ingredients (oats, sugar, evaporated milk, milk is my favourite way) so no extra washing up.

Experiment with cooking times and power settings until it's cooked perfectly without spilling over.

And then simply repeat......
  • freda666
    freda666 Posts: 338 Member
    edited November 2020
    Our household has recently discovered steel cut oatmeal and like it. Our trouble has been that when we use our microwave bowls, we still end up with spill overs. How have people solved this issue? Photos would greatly be appreciated.

I cook porridge in the microwave and have found the shape of the bowl makes all the difference in the world.

For reference, I make my porridge with 50% skim milk and 50% water. I do not sweeten until it is cooked and use artificial sweeteners.

If I use a bowl shaped bowl then it boils over however if I use a flat bottomed casserole dish it does not. I have a scraper and decant to a breakfast bowl to eat it.

Also, I use a lower power level on my microwave for most of the cooking. I cook for 3-4 minutes on "full power" until it boils and then do 10-12 minutes on what is described as "simmer" on my Panasonic machine. I stir once or twice but doing that, in the casserole dish, it never ever boils over.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I've always made it either in a rice cooker or, if away from home without one, on the stove.
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    I cook mine in a pan with water on the stove - It takes 20 minutes or so -
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited November 2020
    I always make big batches on the stovetop, and freeze individual servings. I reheat in the microwave but never have a problem with boiling over. I heat in 20 second increments with stirring after 20 seconds. If I use milk, I don’t add until it’s done. Cools it a bit and it’s a good temperature for eating.
  • sussexbythesea
    sussexbythesea Posts: 1,335 Member
    We do ours in microwave but in a big tall jug so does not spill over then divide into 2 bowls
  • Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    edited December 2020
    I like steel cut oats but I don't even cook them at all. No cooking whatsoever. Now I could tell you how we use oats to give prize winning livestock definition after fattening them UP but you may not be interested in that. Trade secret. I don't cook my oats at all. What works for livestock works for people too. I have many blue ribbons in my cache to prove that it works. Our mileage will always vary. Oats, any kind of oats. I eat them directly from the container with unsweetened almond milk. I throw on whatever kind of spice suits me. Pumpkin pie spice, anything you like. It works. It really works. I've got the blue ribbons from state fairs to prove it.

No overnite oats either. Straight from the box. Try it and you may be surprised. B)
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Diatonic12 wrote: »
    I like steel cut oats but I don't even cook them at all. No cooking whatsoever. Now I could tell you how we use oats to give prize winning livestock definition after fattening them UP but you may not be interested in that. Trade secret. I don't cook my oats at all. What works for livestock works for people too. I have many blue ribbons in my cache to prove that it works. Our mileage will always vary. Oats, any kind of oats. I eat them directly from the container with unsweetened almond milk. I throw on whatever kind of spice suits me. Pumpkin pie spice, anything you like. It works. It really works. I've got the blue ribbons from state fairs to prove it.

No overnite oats either. Straight from the box. Try it and you may be surprised. B)

Honest question, how do you keep from breaking your teeth? Steel cut oats are hard nuggets. I tried them in overnight oats, and that doesn’t even soften them up much.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited December 2020
    Diatonic12 wrote: »

Honest question, how do you keep from breaking your teeth? Steel cut oats are hard nuggets. I tried them in overnight oats, and that doesn’t even soften them up much.

My first thought was 3 minute (or instant) steel cut oats? Putting milk on raw "regular" steel cut oats - yuck.

OP - I put steel cut oats (regular kind) in a crockpot for a few hours on low. Not overnight though, this is way too long for my crockpot. I make a weeks worth and just reheat individual servings.
  • SwtHedgehog
    SwtHedgehog Posts: 172 Member
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I will have to try the slow cooker approach. Fornow, it's been the three minute oats.
  • GordonSenior
    GordonSenior Posts: 8 Member
    I cook mine on the stove in a small pot for 3minutes while stirring, then turn off the heat and cover for about 20 minutes.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    I used to cook mine in the slow cooker, and then in the morning split it for a couple of days for that week. Cooked well, I use oat milk, no sugar but would have some fruit either fresh or compote.

Yep- slow cooker oatmeal is our household fave as well. We add chia, flax and hemp seeds and pan toast the dry grains until they're slightly brown and give off a string nutty aroma before putting in the crockpot and adding water. Two hours on high, four hours on low gives us the texture we like :-)
  • PeloMichelle
    PeloMichelle Posts: 100 Member
    I cook them in my instant pot. Just cooking them for myself I use 1/2 Cup Steel Cut Oats 1 1/4 Cups water. High pressure for 11 minutes, fast release. This makes 2 servings. I refrigerate one of the servings in a mason jar for another day. Usually use within 3-4 days.
  • RVLife1
    RVLife1 Posts: 1 Member
    I always put mine in mason jars, make up 4-5 for the week, I make some with fruit, some with nuts, some with dark choc. chips, you can really get creative, add all ingredients, put in fridge, and microwave right in the jar...so yummy and healthy!