• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Amazing story and glad he survived! I fail to understand why remote adventurers don’t carry PLBs. We carry one and we don’t go anywhere nearly that remote. It’s not that hard to get injured or ill and unable to get out on your own. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not everyone can afford one. It only costs gas to drive to the location to hike so it’s a wonderful low cost adventure. I can always let the park rangers know the general location of my husband if needed since he tells me where he’s going.

SAT phones and service cost a lot but PLBs are cheap.

If you can afford a car and the gas to drive to a park or forest, the gas to get there, any park fees and the food/gear you wear/carry on the trail, you can afford a PLB.

Sorry, but I spend about $3 in gas to go to the state park that is free. I have to have said car to get to my job so that I can pay my mortgage, etc.

$3 gas is a cheap way to enjoy a day off. Snacks for the hike are pb&j. You want to spend money on a PLB, go for it. Not everyone has the expendable income for one (nor the desire to spend what expendable income they do have on one).

What's your life worth to you?

Your $, your choice but a PLB doesnt cost more than a good pair of boots or trail shoes.

Of course, there's no need 2 take a PLB w/you on a day hike on a familiar trail but if you are far off the beaten path, miles from any immediate assistance, as I have been, it's an indispensible bit of insurance that is well worth the $, as is a good 1st aid kit.

BTW, this thread was started talking about a snowshoer who got caught in a blizzard. It was a miracle he survived but if he had a PLB he probably would have been found earlier and wouldnt have had to be revived after having already technically died.
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »
    Amazing story and glad he survived! I fail to understand why remote adventurers don’t carry PLBs. We carry one and we don’t go anywhere nearly that remote. It’s not that hard to get injured or ill and unable to get out on your own. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not everyone can afford one. It only costs gas to drive to the location to hike so it’s a wonderful low cost adventure. I can always let the park rangers know the general location of my husband if needed since he tells me where he’s going.

SAT phones and service cost a lot but PLBs are cheap.

If you can afford a car and the gas to drive to a park or forest, the gas to get there, any park fees and the food/gear you wear/carry on the trail, you can afford a PLB.

Sorry, but I spend about $3 in gas to go to the state park that is free. I have to have said car to get to my job so that I can pay my mortgage, etc.

$3 gas is a cheap way to enjoy a day off. Snacks for the hike are pb&j. You want to spend money on a PLB, go for it. Not everyone has the expendable income for one (nor the desire to spend what expendable income they do have on one).

What's your life worth to you?

Your $, your choice but a PLB doesnt cost more than a good pair of boots or trail shoes.

Of course, there's no need 2 take a PLB w/you on a day hike on a familiar trail but if you are far off the beaten path, miles from any immediate assistance, as I have been, it's an indispensible bit of insurance that is well worth the $, as is a good 1st aid kit.

BTW, this thread was started talking about a snowshoer who got caught in a blizzard. It was a miracle he survived but if he had a PLB he probably would have been found earlier and wouldnt have had to be revived after having already technically died.

Spend your money how you want. I will keep going without one. Proper shoes, backpack, etc are more important to me and I prefer to spend my limited funds on those.

Sometimes we go to very remote locations, but I always text a family member with my location when I do that. If I don’t text them later on the same day, they will know something is wrong and send help. I’ve been hiking regularly for over 20 years now and it’s been working just fine for me. 🤷🏻‍♀️