Having trouble eating 2500 calories!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• michaelchamp24
    michaelchamp24 Posts: 3 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hardgainer- Protein and Complex carbs every meal, throw in weight gainer shakes. Measure and track your macros and re-evaluate every 2 weeks. Add more carbohydrates into mix if still no weight gain.

For you I suggest 115 g protein/ 115 g carbs per day as starting point spread out over 6 meals (shake is a meal) .Fats from protein sources, no additional. Increase carbs every 2 weeks if no results
  • michaelchamp24
    michaelchamp24 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just posted on another thread, so will duplicate it here. Snacks, eat everything with dip/dressing, add nuts, cheese, protein shakes with banana and Pb, bacon, milkshakes. Etc. You don’t have to always have”healthy” things. Branch out. Eat healthy but add in yummy fun things. Calories are all that matter.

While I agree with this logic it is mkre important to know and track macro make up of calories to obtain goals. The body uses protein/ complex carb/ simple carb/ fat differently and through different mechanisms.
  • KNoceros
    KNoceros Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    You don’t have to always have”healthy” things. Branch out. Eat healthy but add in yummy fun things. Calories are all that matter.

This. Absolutely this.

You can worry about the exact “what” you’re eating (macro balance etc) once you’ve gained 15lb and are no longer underweight.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I just posted on another thread, so will duplicate it here. Snacks, eat everything with dip/dressing, add nuts, cheese, protein shakes with banana and Pb, bacon, milkshakes. Etc. You don’t have to always have”healthy” things. Branch out. Eat healthy but add in yummy fun things. Calories are all that matter.

While I agree with this logic it is mkre important to know and track macro make up of calories to obtain goals. The body uses protein/ complex carb/ simple carb/ fat differently and through different mechanisms.

It's important to get a variety of foods to meet protein and fat needs, as well as the rest of our nutritional needs. However, OP is medically underweight, so calories should be the primary concern right now. If OP is eating the foods above combined with what they're already eating, they're going to be getting both protein and fat, as well as vitamins and minerals, so I'm not sure what the specific concern is here.

Also, not everyone finds it necessary to track macros to thrive! Lots of people find an eating pattern that meets their nutritional needs without having to track to specific macro goals.
  • serapel
    serapel Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant I was told to eat more and I had a hard time doing it. At 7 months pregnant my OB told me my baby was small and I should eat more. That scared me so I began eating full fat yogurt, nuts, added olive oil to everything avocados....

I personally hate eating like that!! I prefer to eat like a bird .

If you’re naturally slim,don’t sweat it. You’re really young. Your metabolism is fast most likely.
  • nakiawatts
    nakiawatts Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'9 150lbs but I have always been 115lbs , I drink boost high calorie drinks 530 and ensure plus 350 calories along with my meals and snacks. I also make a high calorie protein shake, ice cream, peanut butter, banana, strawberry syrup, yogurt, milk whey powder . Working out is important in order to sculpt your weight gain to the area's of your choice and be able to keep the weight on.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options
    serapel wrote: »

If you’re naturally slim,don’t sweat it. You’re really young. Your metabolism is fast most likely.

Good advice in the rest if your post but at 5 foot 10 and 115lbs, OP is medically underweight, so perhaps should focus on trying to gain a bit.
  • RaeRaeSchell
    RaeRaeSchell Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I added in Perfect Bars to give me the 300ish calories I was short, they are quite tasty and have about 16g of protein.

https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Bar-Original-Refrigerated-Protein/dp/B08DT61YL1/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&keywords=perfect+bars&qid=1611074304&sr=8-4
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    I am under weight and trying to gain weight.
    I can barely manage to eat 1900 calories a day what do u guys do to get calories in what does your diet look like?

I eat healthy
    Breakfast-Boost shake banana and a yogurt
    Snack -granola bar
    Lunch- ham sandwich banana and crackers
    Dinner - chicken rice corn
    Snack dry cereal and a banana

That is a normal day of eating any recommendations would be great
    I am 5”10 115lbs 23 years old really just looking to gain weight fast.

Thx in advance
    Lol, that's just snack food for me when I used to bulk up. I eat pasta, rice, pizza and hamburgers to bump my calories to 4000 a day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited January 2021
    Options

As someone who was once upon a time medically underweight and below essential body fat levels, this is super low on the priority list...so low as to be basically non existent. When you're medically underweight, calories are first, second, third, fourth, etc priority.

When I was in the military I can guarantee you they made no effort to give me some kind of magical macro ratio...they fed me calories.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options

If one is trying to gain weight, you don't HAVE to be spot on with macros. Calories would be first. Think of Michael Phelps. He can burn up to 8,000 calories a day. You think he's only eating "clean" foods? To be able to consume that volume, one would be full all the time and that would INTERFERE with training. You have to combine both together to grow, so being full all the time would hamper things like squats and deadlifts. I know. I've thrown up a few times even after waiting an hour after eating. Sometimes you just have to take the high calorie meal just to keep from losing weight. Hence pizza and burgers for me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Slimfitlady
    Slimfitlady Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I remember being your age and so skinny. My girlfriend and I were always having food shoved at us telling us to eat more, that we were too skinny. Neither one of us was a sweet eater and still are not. So for one month every day we ate what fat people should not eat and we never gained an ounce. Then when we were in our 50's we started gaining weight for no apparent reason, we ate the same, nothing changed. Then in our late 60s we are having to diet and have tried every one possible, some costing a lot of money and with very little success. We are finding this KETO diet is the easiest and most successful so far. It seems to be an easy enough way of eating to continue that style even after we lose the weight we want to. So do not be in a big hurry to put on weight that your body is telling you it does not want because it is too hard to get rid of later. You are beautiful the way you are.
  • davew0000
    davew0000 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    (Newbie post)

My target is around 3000 calories at the moment and I don’t seem to have any problems. I’m not drinking and am fairly low on fats, and in particular saturated fats. I try to eat healthily in general.

Breakfast of porridge with almonds and dried fruit sets me off fo the day. That can be 700 calories.

Peanut butter and jam on toast as a snack.

Lots of wholemeal pasta, rice and quinoa. Plenty of chicken, occasional lean pork and tuna. If I’m short, the rice pudding (skimmed milk) with raisins does the trick.