All tuna tested in California show positive for radiation

Options
Radioactive contamination from the Fukishima reactor disaster in Japan in showing up in 100% of tuna tested in California.

http://intellihub.com/2013/05/29/absolutely-every-one-bluefin-tuna-tested-in-california-waters-contaminated-with-fukushima-radiation/

Replies

• Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes... I've been keeping tabs on this.. scary what the government hides from us.. I mean.. it's only our health right? Why should be be informed... smh...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Damnit. I like tuna. ._.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    I'll just put this down here in case people don't want to freak out just yet.
    Fukushima tuna study finds minuscule health risks
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/03/us/fukushima-tuna

From the article:
    Levels of radioactivity found in Pacific bluefin tuna that spawned off Japan around the time of the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear accident are far below anything that would pose a health risk and have dropped in fish caught the following year, U.S. researchers reported Monday.

The results were released Monday by the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
    Even subsistence fishermen, who eat far more fish than the typical American, would receive a dose of radiation from the cesium isotopes released in the meltdown equivalent to a single dental X-ray, Fisher and his colleagues reported. That translates to a "worst-case scenario" of two additional cancer deaths for every 10 million people in that category
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that this is only slightly above background radiation (3% accoridng to the link). The statement that there is "no safe level of radiation", while technically true, is sensationalist. We've been exposing nuclear workers to 2 to 3 REM a year for over 30 years with no significant increase in cancer risk for those workers. People freak out over radiation fears because they don't really understand that a small increase in a very tiny risk is still a very tiny risk. An additional 1 person in 5 million getting cancer is insignificant compared to the risk from all sorts of "safe" activities. You pick up more radiation than that just by flying (at higher elevations, there is less natural shielding, so you pick up larger doses of background radiation than at the surface).
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    In for Friday morning scare mongering.

3% above background? No "safe" level of radiation? Seriously? :yawn:
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options
    Minute traces of radiation is not going to hurt you, having a smart phone plastered to your skull for half of you're existence like most of the western world introduces FAR more radiation to your system than any tuna sandwich ever will. That article is nothing more than environmental busybodies run-amok. Move on with your lives.

Rigger
  • scottaworley
    scottaworley Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    In for Friday morning scare mongering.

3% above background? No "safe" level of radiation? Seriously? :yawn:

This.
    Honestly, radioactivity is natural. There is radioactivity everywhere.
    And if I turn into a mutant than I'll probably grow awesome muscles or turn into spiderman or something. Not complaining about that either.
  • lindsayk324
    lindsayk324 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    It's okay, guys, I did some research and here's some things to avoid because radiation:

--Doctor's visits and the subsequent medical procedures
    --Wireless technology and cell phones
    --Food
    --Water
    --The sun

brb, tuna for lunch.
  • scottaworley
    Options
    Minute traces of radiation is not going to hurt you, having a smart phone plastered to your skull for half of you're existence like most of the western world introduces FAR more radiation to your system than any tuna sandwich ever will. That article is nothing more than environmental busybodies run-amok. Move on with your lives.

Rigger

I'm an environmental busybody who believes in safe levels of radiation! Don't lump me with the wackos pls.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Bear in mind that this is only slightly above background radiation (3% accoridng to the link). The statement that there is "no safe level of radiation", while technically true, is sensationalist. We've been exposing nuclear workers to 2 to 3 REM a year for over 30 years with no significant increase in cancer risk for those workers. People freak out over radiation fears because they don't really understand that a small increase in a very tiny risk is still a very tiny risk. An additional 1 person in 5 million getting cancer is insignificant compared to the risk from all sorts of "safe" activities. You pick up more radiation than that just by flying (at higher elevations, there is less natural shielding, so you pick up larger doses of background radiation than at the surface).
    God forbid anyone ever needs an xray...
  • MrSeriousguy
    Options
    Soooo. If I eat California Tuna I might become Tuna-man... worst hero ever.
  • scottaworley
    Options

Solid third post. I lold
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

Oh I don't know, Kikko Man is pretty cool.
    jq2clz.jpg
  • navyrigger46
    navyrigger46 Posts: 1,301 Member
    Options

Rigger

I'm an environmental busybody who believes in safe levels of radiation! Don't lump me with the wackos pls.

We're all wacko to some degree in the eyes of others, but if you're a busybody, and you're secure enough with that to announce it, you get lumped in in my book, sorry. Kudos for not buying the radiation hype though.

Rigger
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Damn, better stop eating my tuna fish and banana sandwiches. I might grow an extra limb!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_equivalent_dose
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    When it comes to radiation, it is all about dosage.
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Hooray! A reason for people to stop eating an endangered species! Kind of sad that we need one...

(Though, as rjmudlax said, it is all about dosage)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Lord help you if you are eating that tuna on a granite counter top.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I need radiations levels in the fish, estimated exposure from consuming them, and the hazard associated with those exposure levels before I bat an eyelash...
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options

You can scare away enemies with your smell!