Arby's Curly Fries and Roast Beef Wrecked Me For Days

Options
Sevio
Sevio Posts: 181 Member
Wondering if anyone else has these issues~

Long story short in the car on the way home from a weekend with a friend; it's lunchtime and I am starving. I decide to order an Arby's Medium Curly Fries (that also came with a good helping of fryer grease) and a regular roast beef sandwich.

First of all let me say this: It sucked. I did not enjoy it one bit.

Second of all: My gut has been hollering at me all week and I am guessing it was from this horrible meal. I was bloated for most of the week, gassy and constipated....can it get any worse??

I don't eat like this anymore and this definitely was a wake up call for me to never do it again. Those fries were nasty!!!

Anyone experience this after being so good to yourself?

Replies

• disgruntledone
    disgruntledone Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all. I ate at On The Border last night and enjoyed every little second of it. I am one of those people that don't understand how people can no longer eat out and not enjoy it. Luckily I also enjoy eating healthy foods so I don't go out to eat much but when I do I love it.
  • AmykinsCatfood
    AmykinsCatfood Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I ate bad for a couple days and paid for it for a couple of WEEKS. Your body gets used to how you've been eating and anything particularly greasy/unhealthy upsets the balance. It doesn't help though that I have IBD and never truly know when something is going to set my stomach off.

Eta: Next time I would skip the Arby's and go for pizza if you're craving something unhealthy. Much more satisfying, and there's often less of a chance of your stomach being upset with you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't eat like this anymore and this definitely was a wake up call for me to never do it again. Those fries were nasty!!!

The human gut will grow bacteria to process foods it's given on a regular basis. Give it something different and problems can arise if the right bacteria is not present. It doesn't really matter if the food is 'heatlhy' or not, it's that it's unusual for your diet. That's why foreign foods or waters often cause distress.
  • jcearth
    jcearth Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No - I work in an Arby's Big Roast beef sandwich every once in a while - not terrible calorically, and their roast turkey isn't bad either. My weakness is the potato cakes, but even those aren't horrible (if you stick to the small). You can't beat yourself up, or you won't be successful. Every day is not going to be a perfect day, and the most important day is today, not yesterday.
  • bserwack
    bserwack Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it while I'm eating it, but regret it later! Eating unhealthy foods that I am not used to will upset my stomach and leave me bloated for several days afterwards.
  • hannahpistolas
    hannahpistolas Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Sounds delicious.

If you don't eat grease for awhile, and then eat something heavy in it, then your body will definitely react!
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    Nope not at all. I ate at On The Border last night and enjoyed every little second of it. I am one of those people that don't understand how people can no longer eat out and not enjoy it. Luckily I also enjoy eating healthy foods so I don't go out to eat much but when I do I love it.

I'm the same way, I wish I had an adverse reaction to the crappy food. It would help me steer clear. Luckily I don't eat out much either.
  • HefferSprint
    HefferSprint Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yep. My son had a friend over and they wanted to break out the Fry Daddy one night. They fried Oreo's, Twinkies, and a chocolate bar. I tried a bite of the Oreo out of curiosity.

Then I made Tempura shrimp, and we had that with vegetable stir fry for dinner.

Almost immediately following the meal, it felt like an earthquake was happening in my gut. It was flipping all around. Was weird, because my insides barely ever make themselves known unless I've got a stomach bug.

My biggest temptation has always been fries, followed closely by cheeseburgers. I love the salt and grease combo. But when you are actively dieting, you become suddenly more aware of just how horrible that combination really is. No nutritional value, and there are equally satisfying choices which don't carry the dense caloric punch.

And when you're paying attention to what you eat, eating something fried like that really sticks in your mind more than it would normally. Normally I'd just ride the dopamine rush and enjoy it. It's hardly enjoyable when your guilt meter kicks in.

I was talking to a musician the other day. He asked me if I had been to the fair yet. I said no but I planned to go this weekend. I said it would be hard to pass up the Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger. This guy is fit and in his 50's. He said, "Yeah, we don't eat the food there, but we love to people watch and listen to the other bands."

The way he said it was not rude, just matter of fact. He doesn't have to negotiate whether he'll eat fair food, which ones he'll eat, how much he'll have. He just doesn't eat it. That's my goal.
  • jonsey_s
    jonsey_s Posts: 222
    Options
    Yes.

Take Away now is good at the moment, but I pay for it for days afterwards....

I stay away from it now.
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been affected like that. Sometimes I can't eat greasy foods. Sometimes the super sweet (like sneaking a bit of my husband's donuts) will also affect me adversely.

Hope next week will be better for you.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

The human gut will grow bacteria to process foods it's given on a regular basis. Give it something different and problems can arise if the right bacteria is not present. It doesn't really matter if the food is 'heatlhy' or not, it's that it's unusual for your diet. That's why foreign foods or waters often cause distress.

^^^^ this

I only eat fast food once in a while, like maybe 2-3 times a month, if that, sometimes I go entire months not having any fast food at all. Yet when I eat it, I don't have any digestive problems. I enjoy it and feel fine afterwards and the next day. I've noticed that it's only the ultra-clean or very low fat dieters that have that issue. I eat maybe 80% clean, with balanced macros, and whatever foods I want in sensible portion sizes. I think the problem is that if you eliminate too much from your diet then your digestive system freaks out a bit when you suddenly eat a lot of stuff you normally never eat.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Arby's Curly Fries are soooooooooo gooooooooood....

Pizza Hut is death for me.
  • TXRanchGirl
    Options
    ick..Im not a french fry person to begin with anyway.

I have found that I can usually find something "semi good", in the "healthy" aspect even when Im out..Subway, Taco Bell,ect all have healthier options..or I keep healthy snacks in my car for long road trips (almonds are my fave).

If I eat something fried or greasy..I feel ill now..Ive determined the momentary "yum" isnt worth the feel days of feeling nasty afterwards.
  • Sevio
    Sevio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    No - I work in an Arby's Big Roast beef sandwich every once in a while - not terrible calorically, and their roast turkey isn't bad either. My weakness is the potato cakes, but even those aren't horrible (if you stick to the small). You can't beat yourself up, or you won't be successful. Every day is not going to be a perfect day, and the most important day is today, not yesterday.

Believe me I really wasn't worried about the fact that I ate it; it was the fact that days later my gut and physically my body is still paying for it :wink:
  • corgicake
    corgicake Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    Might not be the grease itself. I used to work at a McDonald's and to this day my body has somewhat of a reaction to the chain's food along with a few others, yet places that have similar offerings are fine. My guess is it's got to do with the dishwashing chemicals.
  • smesche
    smesche Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Krispy Kreme Cheeseburger.

What fairs offer this? None around me. Well at least none I have been to recently. Also, we don't have pizza cones. :grumble: :angry:

We have fried oreos, fried pickles and tacos in a bag. I'm not sure what is appealing about a taco in a bag, but whatever floats your boat.

Arby's NEVER sits right with me. Not sure what it is. Any other fast food place and I'm fine.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I can't handle greasy food anymore, but I think it's more of an age thing (I'm 45) than a weight loss thing. The only time I eat off plan is when I vacation and as long as I stay away from the grease I can eat and enjoy anything just like the old days.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    yum
    I would have enjoyed it
    what a shame you did not.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Well, this just strengthens my resolve to keep current, eating fast food at least about once a week, to keep my gut in tune with it.

One the weekend, I ate a 9" Black Bean Pita, from the Pita Pit, loaded with veggies for lunch. Then, just a bit of snacks, because my son had a lacrosse game, which, including travel, spanned dinner time.... I had the brainy idea to have large McFlurries on the way home... ( drumstick flavor ) And shortly after arriving home, I had that kinda twisted up feeling in my guts, that I'm gonna be in for a big thsmiley_ZZpotty.gif in very short order. Got off the thsmiley_ZZpotty.gif from the 1st one, and the 2nd wave hit... thsmiley_ZZpotty.gif. Then, wouldn't ya know it, minutes later, it's time for round 3. thsmiley_ZZpotty.gif

It was all worth it, though... I bet I lost 2 lbs in that 1/2 hr. I'm thinking of trying the Black Bean Pita, and Drumstick McFlurry diet.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oh man! Me and my boyfriend were driving back from the beach (about 9 hours). We stopped to get gas and there it was... Arby's. Man, I hadn't had Arby's in so long and just remembered the melty cheesy beefy goodnesss with the springy crunchy yet tender fries. I HAD to have it. My boyfriend had never had it and I convinced him it was worth it. I ate it... what a let down. The bun was all smashed and I didn't remember it being an onion bun. The roast beef wasn't warm and steaming and I'm pretty sure they used cheese whiz. The fries were crunchy and had probably been sitting out. I tried to convince myself it was worth it and ate the whole meal. Not only was I hungry still after I ate it but my stomach was JACKED up for DAYS. So horrible. I still indulge in my fast food cravings from time to time but I always feel crappy afterwards.