For those of you who do pull-ups or chin-ups at home.

Options
2»

Replies

• Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    The best door units screw in place, in my opinion. With screws, this approach is very stable and won't cause all that much damage (putty and paint). The spreader types are very bad for your doorway. How is the OP going to fix that? It might require taking the plaster off the wall and re-doing the door frame. YIKE$!

The doorway hook-on units (as suggested by @Mellouk89) can be good, but they can also fail if you're not careful. They are putting a lot of faith in the molding over the doorway, which is not structural.

The screw-into-wall or ceiling units are fantastic if properly installed.

But, best overall is a free-standing unit. Even better if also secured to a wall. Unfortunately, my ceilings aren't high enough!
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I attached a homemade bar made from lead pipe to the rafters in my garage using pipe flanges. The house will fall down around it before that thing goes anywhere.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    I attached a homemade bar made from lead pipe to the rafters in my garage using pipe flanges. The house will fall down around it before that thing goes anywhere.
    exactly what i did. forget $100 contraptions, $20 at the hardware store, good to go!