DON'T Eat Exercise Calories!!

Options

Replies

• michlingle
    michlingle Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Ugh, here we go.

My thoughts exactly! :grumble:

Can you hear how loud I'm sighing? I guess the consensus is that we all have to do what is best for our individual body, I like the idea of not eating exercise cals as I have hit a plateau....I'm going to try it. Why keep doing the same thing to get lacklustre results?
  • yvonnej1
    yvonnej1 Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    True. If you put your activity level as anything other than sedentary than you CAN NOT add any exercise manually. Seriously, that's cheating (especially if you are one to put in more exercise just because you happened to be a little more active that day).

i don't understand what this means. i put my activity level at "lightly active" because i don't own a car and if i have to go somewhere, i either walk or ride my bike

I'm not sure I agree with you on this point. I have my lifestyle as lightly active, because I am. I also don't have a car, I cycle to work and walk to pick my child up from school, my job also involves a degree of physical activity (a nurse is an example given by MFP as a lightly active lifestyle, this is pretty much my job). I count all this as part of my lightly active lifestyle. However if I specifically do extra exercise then I add this e.g. gym or swimming. I can burn 500 calories if I go for a long swim which considering my allowance is 1500 a day is a considerable percentage of this amount. Therefore I need to have the option of eating more calories to compensate (I'm not saying that I always eat my exercise calories).

I agree that it is ridiculous to log every single little thing you do other than sitting still, but to state outright that if you have listed your life style as anything other sedentary means you can't add extra exercise without cheating is not necessarily correct for everyone.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Really want to know what you burn per day if you have an average BMR?

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/docs/documents_compendium.pdf

http://www.wv-hsta.org/cdc_chc/walking_mets_table.htm

http://prevention.sph.sc.edu/tools/compendium.htm

To calculate it, take your weight and divide by 2.2 to get your weight in kilos. Take the MET value of each exercise and multiply by the result of your weight in kilos and multiply again by the time you spent at it (in hours).

Ie: 170 pounds / 2.2 = 77.27 kilos.

I spend 6 hours sleeping. Sleeping is a MET value of .9. I multiply 77.27 (kilos) X .9 (MET) x 6 (hours) = 417 calories I burn while sleeping (note: this is all inclusive).

Check it out.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    The lifestyle question is a difficult one. I have mine set at sedentary because I spend the majority of my day at a desk. However, I walk the journey to work and back most days (5 miles round trip), and I go to the gym at least 5 days a week. I add this as my exercise,though I dont always eat my exercise calories, or at least all of them.
  • Man_loosing_weight
    Options
    The weight I’ve lost done by eating my exercise calories on a regular basis. Not always all the calories. As was mentioned previously is that you must change your routine as not to plateau.
  • lesley1981
    lesley1981 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I am currently consuming anything between 900 and 1300 calories per day, my average exercise calories are around 200-300.

I rarely use my exercise calories, although I know they are there if I feel the need to be naughty :devil: I never feel hungry either! I work with a number of healthcare workers and have spoken to them about my diet, each one advising me that there is nothing wrong with the amount of calories I am consuming because I am eating the right things and not depriving myself! I was advised in the early stages of my weightloss that consuming fewer calories than I'm used to could bring on my migraines (something that I suffered with on a weekly basis) but since April I've only had three!! I visit my doctor on a regular basis, as I have suffered high blood pressure and anemia, and he too is satisfied with my diet.

I don't think the amount of calories you consume is as important as the type of calories you consume... Surely a nutritionally balanced diet is more beneficial!

When I reach my target weight and go into maintenance I fully intend to eat most, if not all, of my exercise calories... but I won't be force feeding myself just to try to eat them all :wink:
  • Stella_Does
    Options
    It's interesting to see such a mix of...tactics people employ to lose weight!

I do agree that the title and first post could have been worded a bit better as it does seem as though everyone is being told they should not eat exercise calories or eat over 1000 cals a day. Obviously that can't apply to anyone and the topic started has now said this was supposed to be a temporary measure for her.

For me, I need to eat more, I'm another one who couldn't function on 1000 a day, literally, I can't think straight, I get the shakes, I get dizzy, I feel sick, I feel like my stomach is trying to digest itself. I certainly couldn't exercise on that. I need to eat around half of the calories I think I'll burn before exercising to be able to get through a workout. I'm also very precious about my muscle so want to make sure I lose as little as possible.

I did lose some weight eating 1100 cals per day, I was losing about 2lb per week of fat and muscle, doing no exercise and feeling miserable and obsessed with food. I maybe kept it up for bout a month, then gained back the loss plus a little more - bizarrely I repeated this many times with various fad diets.

It's only when I started eating 1500-1700 per day, PLUS exercise that I saw any real loss and was 25lbs lighter in about 7 months - sometimes I lost nothing in a week, sometimes I lost up to 2.5lbs but an average of just over 1lb per week. But I also go by my photos, measurements and how clothes fit, it's a better guide for me than scales.
    Definitely for me I need to eat more.

When I eat my exercise calories I don't use them to eat junk or "treats" I just eat more of the same kinds of foods I normally do. I have a "treat" when I want one really (thought try to get it to one day a week only)

I also like the idea of calorie cycling and eating at my target some days, 100 cals more or 100 cals less on other days but I've not been very good at doing this on purpose! Same with having low carb and high carb days, it just takes more planning than I'm prepared to do and fear it would make me a bit obsessive over the numbers.
  • bazuukajoe
    bazuukajoe Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The point that I'm trying to make is that everyone on MFP seems to regard not eating back your exercise caloiris as taboo. Like it's not the norm, when there are millions of people who lose weight everyday in this manner. The reason it seems crazy to some of you is because you're members of a site that is constantly telling you it's the wrong thing to do. It irks me, because a lot of people are acting like what the OP is saying is so far fetched and dangerous, when in most cases it's not.
  • merebear
    merebear Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ugh, here we go.

Can you hear how loud I'm sighing? I guess the consensus is that we all have to do what is best for our individual body, I like the idea of not eating exercise cals as I have hit a plateau....I'm going to try it. Why keep doing the same thing to get lacklustre results?

Right?!?! I thought I was just sharing info....didn't mean to create such a controversy. I am not "advising" anyone because we each live, eat, and lose weight differently so we have to do what works for us. Now I know to keep things to myself....:sad:
  • michlingle
    Options
    Ugh, here we go.

Right?!?! I thought I was just sharing info....didn't mean to create such a controversy. I am not "advising" anyone because we each live, eat, and lose weight differently so we have to do what works for us. Now I know to keep things to myself....:sad:

Honestly, I think people are afraid to not eat them because they feel like they have earned them. They are afraid to be told not to eat them because that means they have to eat less. So if everyone convinces themselves that eating them all is a good thing, then this lifestyle change isn't really that difficult because you can still have about 2000 cals a day if you're exercising. Which really, 2000 cals, is not going hungry by any means. Well, maybe for some it is, but for those that have less than 30 pounds to lose, 2000 cals isn't that big of a change thus making this easier, we all want easier right? It's controversial to talk about not eating them because people feel entitled to, the culture around here is all about avoiding starvation mode. Chances are we will not go into starvation mode and do "damage" (see this word thrown all over the place yet still do not know what that means) from missing a meal or two....okay, should I duck and cover now?
  • Stella_Does
    Options

Honestly, I think people are afraid to not eat them because they feel like they have earned them. They are afraid to be told not to eat them because that means they have to eat less. So if everyone convinces themselves that eating them all is a good thing, then this lifestyle change isn't really that difficult because you can still have about 2000 cals a day if you're exercising. Which really, 2000 cals, is not going hungry by any means. Well, maybe for some it is, but for those that have less than 30 pounds to lose, 2000 cals isn't that big of a change thus making this easier, we all want easier right? It's controversial to talk about not eating them because people feel entitled to, the culture around here is all about avoiding starvation mode. Chances are we will not go into starvation mode and do "damage" (see this word thrown all over the place yet still do not know what that means) from missing a meal or two....okay, should I duck and cover now?

Sweeping and inaccurate generalisation there!!!

I, and many others, eat exercise calories because to us this is a plan that is supposed to work for life, not a quick fix or a kickstart, it's got to be sustainable! There's also a lot of people, like me, who don't want to lose weight, we want to lose fat and preserve as much muscle as possible. In order to do that I have to lift some heavy weights and get in a few high intensity interval cardio sessions each week, fuel my body for the type of exercise I do, eat to help muscle recovery/repair. That's not possible on 1000 calories a day.

My body response well to eating higher than 1000 calories and eating my exercise calories, I lose more when I eat more so long as I stay below maintenance calories.

It's got nothing to do with convincing myself of anything or making things easier and everything to do with having taken the time to educate myself in nutrition and learn what my own body responds to and eat in a way that gets the best results for me.
  • alantin
    alantin Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I can only conclude that the OP isn't working out much or doesn't do very intensive sports for her doc tell her not to eat her exercise calories. If that's what the doc said in her specific case, then it should be good for her.

In my case, an exercise day means around 1000 - 2000 extra burned calories and even my maintenance calories are about 2400 Kcal so I don't even dare imagining how exercise would go if I ate only 1200!! :huh:
    I slacked eating yesterday and only ate about 2900 Kcal's. About 900 short of what MFP suggested for the day.. :sick:
    After that experience, I definitely will remember to eat them all the next time!

I eat to be able to do the sports that I love and it's by no means easy! I have a hard time stuffing myself before and after a more demanding exercise!
  • cardigirl
    cardigirl Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Sweeping and inaccurate generalisation there!!!

I, and many others, eat exercise calories because to us this is a plan that is supposed to work for life, not a quick fix or a kickstart, it's got to be sustainable! There's also a lot of people, like me, who don't want to lose weight, we want to lose fat and preserve as much muscle as possible. In order to do that I have to lift some heavy weights and get in a few high intensity interval cardio sessions each week, fuel my body for the type of exercise I do, eat to help muscle recovery/repair. That's not possible on 1000 calories a day.

My body response well to eating higher than 1000 calories and eating my exercise calories, I lose more when I eat more so long as I stay below maintenance calories.

It's got nothing to do with convincing myself of anything or making things easier and everything to do with having taken the time to educate myself in nutrition and learn what my own body responds to and eat in a way that gets the best results for me.

Agreed.
  • michlingle
    Options
    Yes, I am making generalizations here. That's because I see the culture of those who cannot stop denying themselves when it comes to food. Sure, YOU may exercise for 1000-2000 calories per day, but do most people here? No. They can barely get any exercise in THUS that is why they are here. And if you look at people's sign up dates? Most are new at this. It's a process. Sure, later on exercise may become a daily habit, or even an addiction. I used to belong to Crunch, and their slogan was "where exercise (or was it fitness?) is normal." Don't assume that fitness is normal for everyone. So you, who workout a ton, this does not apply. People who add calories for cleaning their house, walking their dog, well, that's normal activity and might find that eating those "earned" calories might be causing their weight loss to be frustrating. Maybe it's just me, but throughout this process of getting healthy, being honest with myself has been, well, challenging. Some of you may relate, while others may not. Whatever. But I just feel that all of the recommendations by people here who are just as uninformed as I am should be taken with a grain of salt. Why would I possibly listen to someone who has lost five pounds who has 80 more to lose? Everyone likes to be the expert, but you are an expert on yourself. Not on me. My body is different than yours are reacts differently to changes. SO, let's stop giving people advice based on how we think their body will work based on how ours has reacted to changes in the past. By the way, Chicago Marathon Round Two, here I come baby, and I hope to knock off a half hour from last year!!!!! It's all about goals you see? I never thought that when I signed up for MFP a couple years ago I'd have run a marathon ( and 4 halfs) and have signed up for a second....you never know what happens!!!
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    My doctor charges extra to talk about weight loss and nutrition :grumble:

seriously? that stinks!
  • Stella_Does
    Options
    Yes, I am making generalizations here. That's because I see the culture of those who cannot stop denying themselves when it comes to food. Sure, YOU may exercise for 1000-2000 calories per day, but do most people here? No. They can barely get any exercise in THUS that is why they are here. And if you look at people's sign up dates? Most are new at this. It's a process. Sure, later on exercise may become a daily habit, or even an addiction. I used to belong to Crunch, and their slogan was "where exercise (or was it fitness?) is normal." Don't assume that fitness is normal for everyone. So you, who workout a ton, this does not apply. People who add calories for cleaning their house, walking their dog, well, that's normal activity and might find that eating those "earned" calories might be causing their weight loss to be frustrating. Maybe it's just me, but throughout this process of getting healthy, being honest with myself has been, well, challenging. Some of you may relate, while others may not. Whatever. But I just feel that all of the recommendations by people here who are just as uninformed as I am should be taken with a grain of salt. Why would I possibly listen to someone who has lost five pounds who has 80 more to lose? Everyone likes to be the expert, but you are an expert on yourself. Not on me. My body is different than yours are reacts differently to changes. SO, let's stop giving people advice based on how we think their body will work based on how ours has reacted to changes in the past. By the way, Chicago Marathon Round Two, here I come baby, and I hope to knock off a half hour from last year!!!!! It's all about goals you see? I never thought that when I signed up for MFP a couple years ago I'd have run a marathon ( and 4 halfs) and have signed up for a second....you never know what happens!!!

I really don't think I could have been any clearer in my post that I was talking about ME and WHAT WORKS FOR ME. I also know that a lot of people respond a similar way. I don't know why your telling me I'm not an expert on you. I haven't given any advice, I've shared my experience only.

I don't know where you get this idea from that I'm exercising and gaining an extra 1000-2000 calories a day. I certainly don't spend 4 hours in the gym on a daily basis. I definitely don't think most people here do, how bizarre that you got that form my post!
  • alantin
    Options
    People who add calories for cleaning their house, walking their dog, well, that's normal activity and might find that eating those "earned" calories might be causing their weight loss to be frustrating. Maybe it's just me, but throughout this process of getting healthy, being honest with myself has been, well, challenging.

I never thought that someone would call cleaning the house "exercise".. Wait! I burn about a 100 Kcal an hour just by sitting on the couch! Should I add that as exercise?!

It's pretty easy to see how adding arbitrary activities as "exercise" to get a treat would affect weight loss but I think that if that's the case, the issue is not about whether a person should eat their exercise calories or not. It is about cheating oneself! That is the true problem that should be addressed.
    As you said, honesty might not be too easy. Especially if the motivation for exercise comes from craving for a treat or something like that. Fortunately, my own experience is that it gets easier as you adjust. All you need is being honest and persistent and it works like a charm!
  • alantin
    Options
    I don't know where you get this idea from that I'm exercising and gaining an extra 1000-2000 calories a day. I certainly don't spend 4 hours in the gym on a daily basis. I definitely don't think most people here do, how bizarre that you got that form my post!

I think that came from my earlier post.
    I do a 4 hour session at least once a week and shorter 1.5 - 2 hour sessions about twice a week.
    The 'daily' part seems to have been a little added extra.. :laugh:
  • alantin
    Options

Well.. The topic title was a bit suggestive..
    DON'T Eat Exercise Calories!!
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...I'm not convinced.

I could probably manage with the 1000 calories a day as my 'base calories' but absolutley no way without eating back some workout calories!!! I'm under my calories every day (I make sure I am!!) I'd say 90% of the time this is simple, as I love to workout. 10% it's hard...say when you work away and have limited options and can't workout beyond a 10 minute powerwalk in a breakout!

I suffer from migraines and unexplained fits/fainting...all of which I think tend to be triggered if I don't get the right intake of food. If I were to do a spin class and then only had enough calories left for a protein shake and an apple in the evening I would be in A&E an hour later!! :laugh:

I do agree with the "each to their own" kind of concept - if it works for you then super. I also know if I ate back all of my workout calories I would not lose any weight at all. But 800-1000 calories with an active lifestyle would just not work for me...

I also 100% agree with one comment I read....that they loved food too much to only have that few calories!! :happy: Come on...you have to eat to survive, you might as well enjoy it sometimes!!