Do you have an advice

I am on a 1200 calorie diet, but my weight has been the same for months, and advice to get rid of this plateau

Replies

• NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Farouha98 wrote: »
    I am on a 1200 calorie diet, but my weight has been the same for months, and advice to get rid of this plateau

Are you measuring your food portions on a food scale?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Measuring on food scale? Are you exercising and eating those calories back (don’t overestimate calories burned and eat at least a portion of them back)? What is your weight loss set to? What is your current weight and what weight are you trying to get to?
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Check where those calories are coming from. I find intend to eat a lot of sugars....when I limit those i lose weight. Do you need to be eating only 1209 calories? Maybe set your goals to be a little less ambitious and get more calories....1200 is hard to maintain
  • Farouha98
    Farouha98 Posts: 11 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »

Are you measuring your food portions on a food scale?
    Yes I am and this diet worked before but now it just stopped
  • Farouha98
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »
    Measuring on food scale? Are you exercising and eating those calories back (don’t overestimate calories burned and eat at least a portion of them back)? What is your weight loss set to? What is your current weight and what weight are you trying to get to?

I don’t exercise. I used to eat less than 1200 actually but now that I am using all 1200 it doesn’t work. I do use a good scale . I would say it’s 1200 exactly but it is very near.
    I am 68 and I want to be 60
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Has your activity level decreased considering everything going on now? Most people should be able to lose on 1200 calories but you might lose really slowly if your TDEE is already on the low side, then you become more inactive due to lockdown restrictions. Couple that with a few "mistakes" food wise (not using a food scale, extra bites here and there), you can really decrease your deficit and weight loss might be masked if you are losing at a snail's pace.
  • Farouha98
    AliNouveau wrote: »
    Check where those calories are coming from. I find intend to eat a lot of sugars....when I limit those i lose weight. Do you need to be eating only 1209 calories? Maybe set your goals to be a little less ambitious and get more calories....1200 is hard to maintain

I used to eat less and it worked but now that I am using all 1200 it doesn’t . I wouldn’t say it is exactly 1200 but it isn’t a lot higher than that. I don’t exercise either

• Farouha98
    Has your activity level decreased considering everything going on now? Most people should be able to lose on 1200 calories but you might lose really slowly if your TDEE is already on the low side, then you become more inactive due to lockdown restrictions. Couple that with a few "mistakes" food wise (not using a food scale, extra bites here and there), you can really decrease your deficit and weight loss might be masked if you are losing at a snail's pace.

So if I exercise and I stick to the 1200, would it work.

• stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member

So if I exercise and I stick to the 1200, would it work.

You could exercise or you could maintain your NEAT (non-exercise activity) which plays a huge role in your TDEE. Personally I find that increasing NEAT helps more than "exercising" because it is more consistent. Do you walk at all? Ride a bike? Take the stairs instead of the elevator?

But yes, when you raise your overall activity levels it becomes easier to create a calorie deficit. I wouldn't rely on the exercise itself for weight loss though.
  • nanastaci2020
    nanastaci2020 Posts: 1,072 Member
    edited November 2020
    What is your age, gender, height, weight? How active are you in your job/hobbies/day-to-day-life? How accurately do you track your calories? Can you give a detailed example (foods, weights) for yesterday for example? Or open your food diary - someone here may be able to help spot some logging errors.

Do you track every day? Or do you occasionally have days/meals that you don't count/log/track? If so, how often?
  • Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Dogmom1978 wrote: »

I don’t exercise. I used to eat less than 1200 actually but now that I am using all 1200 it doesn’t work. I do use a good scale . I would say it’s 1200 exactly but it is very near.
    I am 68 and I want to be 60

What is your height? Weight? Desired weight? What rate of loss do you have MFP set for? What is your activity level?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited November 2020
    AliNouveau wrote: »

I used to eat less and it worked but now that I am using all 1200 it doesn’t . I wouldn’t say it is exactly 1200 but it isn’t a lot higher than that. I don’t exercise either

You said you are using a food scale. If that were true, you would know whether it’s “exactly 1200” or not.

Use your food scale. Weigh and log EVERYTHING, no skipping, cheating, or forgetting.

You want to lose 8 kg, it’s not going to be quick or easy. You’re going to have to be precise and patient.