Struggle of Ramen noodles vs Ramen Packets

Options
TheMaggre
TheMaggre Posts: 3 Member
I'm a dieter who likes to keep all the tasty fun foods in their diet, just in moderation or with more foodful spins, and one of those foods is Ramen. Store made ramen is surprisingly low calorie despite having plenty of fat in the broth, but is over all really nutrition because of the broth making process. Still, I'm not always willing to splurge on 15 dollar ramen, sometimes its time for the 15 cent kind.

I know these noodles are fried to maintain the hollow core of the noodle threads that allow them to cook quickly, but MAN are ramen packs high calorie garbage hahaha. I've been able to find some more nutritious ramen noodle bundles at my local asian grocery, but what's really elusive is the flavoring pack...

My gut feeling says the packs are mostly MSG, some spices, and like, crushed up bullion- in other words, things that probably don't calorically amount to more than maybe 30 calories per pack... But I wasn't sure if anyone else had any ideas about how to account for these flavoring packs? Should I just assume that they're the same content, gram for gram, as a bullion cube?

I'm also not talking about the fancy ramen with dried veggies and add-able oils, I'm talking about the dirt-cheap noodle block and powder type of deal!

Replies

• studentaccount2019
    studentaccount2019 Posts: 2 Member
    edited November 2020
    Options
    I would imagine that the flavoring pack has a similar calorie content to full sodium bouillon powder.
  • goal06082021
    goal06082021 Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    If you're talking about the 15-cent Maruchan bricks, yes, the flavoring packets are basically just crushed up bullion cubes. Maybe bullion cube plus some chili powder, if it's a spicy flavor.
  • chuckle_bunny
    chuckle_bunny Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Look up the brand Lotus Foods. They make healthy ramen packets. The seasoning packets are a little high in sodium but just use half, it tastes fine.
  • adogslife9891
    adogslife9891 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You can also sub out the flavor pack with chicken broth concentrate. It ups the price a little from .15 to $1 but it's worth it in my opinion. A box of 12 usually costs about $10.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    TheMaggre wrote: »
    I'm a dieter who likes to keep all the tasty fun foods in their diet, just in moderation or with more foodful spins, and one of those foods is Ramen. Store made ramen is surprisingly low calorie despite having plenty of fat in the broth, but is over all really nutrition because of the broth making process. Still, I'm not always willing to splurge on 15 dollar ramen, sometimes its time for the 15 cent kind.

I know these noodles are fried to maintain the hollow core of the noodle threads that allow them to cook quickly, but MAN are ramen packs high calorie garbage hahaha. I've been able to find some more nutritious ramen noodle bundles at my local asian grocery, but what's really elusive is the flavoring pack...

My gut feeling says the packs are mostly MSG, some spices, and like, crushed up bullion- in other words, things that probably don't calorically amount to more than maybe 30 calories per pack... But I wasn't sure if anyone else had any ideas about how to account for these flavoring packs? Should I just assume that they're the same content, gram for gram, as a bullion cube?

I'm also not talking about the fancy ramen with dried veggies and add-able oils, I'm talking about the dirt-cheap noodle block and powder type of deal!

*kitten* loads of salt...look at the sodium content on a packet of cheap ramen...it's huge...
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    I'm with @acpgee here. Head over to an authentic Asian food store to peruse and patronize.

I make homemade ramen redux with shiritaki noodles from a store near me. I also make my own dashi (well, fish stock) and non-pork meat stocks so salt is under my control.

If you like salt/savoury then the market will also likely have furikake for you to chose from. I don't think it typically goes on ramen (hence my redux) but it tastes great to me. 🤷🏿‍♀️