10kg gain over covid

styles0728
styles0728 Posts: 2 Member
edited November 2020 in Motivation and Support
Hey I'm trying to get the weight off I gained over covid when I had 4 months out of work. I'm doing 2 hiit days and 2 strength days out of 7. Is this enough because I'm finding the weight is really slow to shift. I'm 37 and have never found it this hard and wondering if age is a real factor? Supposedly it is a factor after talking to my mates so just wanna get some insight.

Replies

• TakeTheLongWayHome
    TakeTheLongWayHome Posts: 815 Member
    Age wasn’t a factor for me. I started my weight loss journey last year when I was 41. Have lost over 70lbs. You just have to put the work in and stick with it, even when it doesn’t seem like you are making progress. There will be days you want to quit, but if you want to be better than yesterday, you can’t let yourself.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,329 Member
    Age isn't a factor in weight loss, and exercise is mostly for fitness and well-being. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    At 60 I don't find age to be a factor in weight control at all.
    Lifestyle at different ages can be a factor, definitely in my 30's I had a lot less time for my own priorities but in reality that doesn't stop you eating a bit less.

Don't look to your exercise to cause weight loss - look at how much you are eating.
    Exercise for health, fitness, strength and body composition.
  • styles0728
    styles0728 Posts: 2 Member
    yirara wrote: »
    Age isn't a factor in weight loss, and exercise is mostly for fitness and well-being. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight.

What's a healthy calorie deficit?
  • Snugbug6
    Snugbug6 Posts: 30 Member
    I call it lockdown lard.

At 37? It's probably less your age and more that you've been so much less active, and your fitness levels hit a new low. It just takes a little longer to get back to where you are if that happens, but you get there in the end.

Unless you had the virus, of course. "Long covid", as the doctors are calling it, can include fatigue.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    styles0728 wrote: »
    yirara wrote: »

What's a healthy calorie deficit?

1% of current bodyweight is a reasonable guide but the bigger the deficit the harder it will be to adhere to.
    Bigger deficits can also mean you won't train or recover as well from your exercise so there's a balance to be found between speed of loss and making weight loss less painful.
  • stephie_nyc
    stephie_nyc Posts: 96 Member
    Chances are your activity level has decreased a lot due to lock down. Trying to exercise yourself into a calorie deficit when your NEAT is lower than usual anyway is going to have you spinning your wheels. Choose an appropriate calorie deficit, log you food, exercise for health and happiness.