I want to improve my squat

Options
So I realized my squat is not deep enough. I can go pretty deep when the weight is lighter. But I am partly scared of hurting my back and I feel I don't have the strength to go deeper with the heavier weight. I have decent mobility, so that's not an issue.

Should I deload and start lifting lighter weights which is manageable for me and increase my reps and increase the weight more slowly?

Background : I have recently started lifting. Only 6 weeks. Haven't ever lifted before in my life but worked in a farm as a teenager. I am 30F, 44-45kgs, starting squat was the goblet squats with 10kgs, right now its, 5 sets of 5 reps of traditional squats with 55kgs. (18 squat sessions, 2.5kg increase in every session)

*Sorry for the metric system information*

Replies

• Dogmom1978
    Dogmom1978 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Yes decrease the weight. The whole point of a squat is to get down low (I’m not saying you need to be an inch from the ground or anything). I do box squats personally so my squat is the same depth each and every time. When my rear hits the box, I’m at the bottom of my squat.
  • MaltedTea
    MaltedTea Posts: 6,286 Member
    Options
    Yup, deload to work on form/technique.

If you're doing Stronglifts with the app, it has provision for reducing/maintening your weight while you progress in other areas.

You may also want to look at accessory exercises in your overall routine which are also functional...anyone need help on a farm near you, these days? 😉

That's just me though. There's experienced lifters and trainers in here that are sure to give you more specific advice if you need it.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    You should be performing with a weight you can achieve depth and leave 2-3 in the tank.

Putting weight on for the sake of a idea that you need to lift heavier and not getting full ROM desired is not helping you get stronger at the depth you desire.

It's not technically a deload since you are attempting to perform a different variation that requires more effort therefore less weight is expected at initially.

One doesn't need to be concerned about hurting the back when we use appropriate weight and volume. Our body's are amazing, just use proper load management.

Not knowing your programming I can suggest what to increase. I will say we can overload with increased reps, sets, intensity, time under mention, frequency, etc...follow your program's protocols or research how to program and pat attention to your response.