Race walking versus regular walking

Options
Does this race walking technique actually help you walk faster than normal walking technique? I'm planning on walking a half marathon next yearand I am wondering if learning race walking technique would be worth it in th

Replies

• alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I used to do competitive race walking in the 80s at Little Athletics and, later, Senior Athletics. I competed at State level a number of times. You need to use the race walking technique to compete. You get three warnings from the judges then you’re out. And yes, the race walking technique is faster.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Race walkers can walk 5+ mph. It takes practice and good form to keep up the pace over the space of a couple of hours or more.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    There was a race walking group at the indoor dome my son had soccer practice at years ago......some of them could really motor. Definitely much faster than regular walking and some race walkers are probably faster then me running longer distances (my best half-marathon was just over 2:09, the world record for a race walking half-marathon is 1:16.36 compared to 58:01 for the running world record)