Getting back into regular exercise

Hi all, I'm after some advice on getting back into regular exercise.

I wouldn't say I've ever been athletic but I think I used to have reasonable fitness… I would cycle 30km 3-4 times a week, practice yoga 2 times a week and dabble in various classes here and there (e.g. Pilates, body pump, pole fitness, swimming), I’d also hike anywhere from 5-25km whenever I got the chance. Since having a baby 18 months ago and struggling with sciatica and a recent PCOS diagnosis it’s safe to say I’m now predominantly sedentary. During my pregnancy I made an effort to keep up with workouts, cycling up until it got uncomfortable, increasing my yoga practice to 3-4 times a week and walking at least 30 minutes a day, as well as the odd 5-10km hike. These days I still manage to walk most days but struggle to find the time and energy to do much else.

Now that my child is walking and growing quickly I’d like to try fit in some more regular exercise again. I still struggle with sciatica somewhat chronically so need to keep this in mind. Any tips for starting back into regular exercise? Do I start slow and steady by picking up yoga/Pilates again 3-4 times a week and maybe adding some compound exercises to help my back? Or do I try go all in on something more intensive like group classes? If I could afford it I’d hire a trainer but I can’t really justify the cost at the moment.

Thanks!

Replies

• littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    I'd start slow and see how you feel.

It's very demoralizing to try and do to much and feel like you can't, and of course there's the injury risk.
    Much better to start slow and build up gradually as you feel fitter and stronger.
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Have you seen a physio for the sciatica? My husband had sciatica and the physio really helped.

It’s hard getting back after having a baby. I used to put my twins into a crèche attached to my gym while I did a class but was often pulled out by the carers because of various baby needs. So don’t expect smooth sailing.

The good news is that your previous level of fitness will put you in good stead for when you get back into it. There’s a certain level of muscle memory that is maintained.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,895 Member
    edited November 2020
    Do start slow.

Due to the sciatica, can you get a referral to a physical therapist? That would be the best place to get answers.

What type of yoga do you do? Yoga can both help and hurt the back. I need to be very careful with forward bends and now that I am no longer in my 30s and a full time yoga teacher, I've taken postures like Wheel completely out of the rotation. I spend a LOT of time on warmups, and sometimes foam roll afterwards as well.

After reading "The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards" I've taken Shoulder Stand out as well, due to risk of neck injuries.
  • KeshNZ
    KeshNZ Posts: 73 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Do start slow.

Due to the sciatica, can you get a referral to a physical therapist? That would be the best place to get answers.

What type of yoga do you do? Yoga can both help and hurt the back. I need to be very careful with forward bends and now that I am no longer in my 30s and a full time yoga teacher, I've taken postures like Wheel completely out of the rotation. I spend a LOT of time on warmups, and sometimes foam roll afterwards as well.

After reading "The Science of Yoga: The Risks and the Rewards" I've taken Shoulder Stand out as well, due to risk of neck injuries.

I'm currently setting a chiropractor who is the only therapist out of a physio, multiple osteopaths and doctors that has actually bothered to try work out a likely cause of my sciatica. He sent me for x-rays and discovered that my lowest vertebrae never fused properly so it seems that the nerve there is irritated by certain movements. I'd like to see a therapist that could help me workout though, just not sure that exists in my small town and the cost would probably be too much.

Like you I avoid certain poses/exercises like rolls, shoulder stands, mountain climbers, burpees (not yoga but they come up often in workout videos). I find the foam roller and a TENS machine quite helpful.